9800 Pro Output to Plasma

Old August 8th 05, 04:33 PM
No Spam

Default 9800 Pro Output to Plasma

I've got a Windows MCE 2005 machine with a 9800 Pro installed. A plasma
screen will be an upgrade in a few months. I'm wondering if the 9800
Pro can be set to output the correct resolution to the plasma screen.

For example, the Dell EDTV resolution is 852 x 480, and the HTDV is 1024
x 768.

I'd like to use the DVI port if possible, but if not, then I will
probably use the VGA or component inputs. I've heard of a program
called Powerstrip being used for special resolutions, but I'd rather not
have to use any special program.

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this.

Thanks!
Old August 8th 05, 06:25 PM
Smart Feet

No Spam wrote:
I've got a Windows MCE 2005 machine with a 9800 Pro installed. A plasma
screen will be an upgrade in a few months. I'm wondering if the 9800
Pro can be set to output the correct resolution to the plasma screen.

For example, the Dell EDTV resolution is 852 x 480, and the HTDV is 1024
x 768.

I'd like to use the DVI port if possible, but if not, then I will
probably use the VGA or component inputs. I've heard of a program
called Powerstrip being used for special resolutions, but I'd rather not
have to use any special program.

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this.

Thanks!

You have to be careful about using a PC on a plasma, because plasma is
very acceptable to burn-in. I have a widescreen plasma TV, but I won't
even play console video games on it because of the parts of the screen
in any game that don't change (like health display and other HUD type
items that stay on the screen in the same place the entire game). If
you try to use a plasma as a normal desktop display device, you'll
really be asking for it...
Old August 8th 05, 07:59 PM
JK

Yeah, LCD, LCD Projection, or DLP Projection TV's are a better choice
because they are not susceptible to burn in.

JK

"Smart Feet" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 8th 05, 08:30 PM
No Spam

Smart Feet wrote:
No Spam wrote:

[...]

Mostly just for TV stuff...live TVs, DVDs, movies. I have no plans to
use the Windows desktop either, except for the very rare maintenance
tasks where I can't use remote desktop.

I doubt that there will be much gaming. I plan to put the old 27" CRT
to use for gaming.
Old August 9th 05, 01:11 AM
SL

Ive been asking more or less the same question you have. I have a
projection 52 inch RCA HDTV/monitor. It is loaned for a long while from a
friend. I paid 100 dollars for an extra long monster video DVI cable to run
to my 9800 pro card. I have mixed results. I do use the powerstrip program
sometimes, but it doesnt really seem necessary. The 9800 seems to default
to only several settings that are recognized by my tv. The powerstrip may
be useful, but I have yet to try any "advanced settings". The quality of
the picture when playing something from PowerDVD or similar is pretty good.
The same results you would expect from playing a low quality video on a 21
inch monitor at 1024x768 or higher. A little pixelated, but pretty good.
DVD's are about as good as a standalone dvd player.

The problem I seem to find with games is they do not get beyond the opening
screens and either do not run, or give errors of various sorts. Command and
Conquer for example gives a message to check my DirectX version. I have the
latest 9.0c. I believe its a resolution problem that I am trying to figure
out.

I know the 9800 pro card can look really good. I run the Ati demo stuff
like the Chimp demo. It looks stunning. I run it from the "desktop". If I
try to launch it as a screensaver, it will not run. So again, there has got
to be some sort of middle ground. I do not have the manual to my tv, so
selecting options is a little difficult. I dont think its possible. I will
get the DVI to RGB converter and try that. I know I can select HDTV
settings using that. But DVI does not let me do changes or Zooming features
etc...

Hope some of this helps,
SL
"JK" wrote in message
Yeah, LCD, LCD Projection, or DLP Projection TV's are a better choice
because they are not susceptible to burn in.

JK

"Smart Feet" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 10th 05, 01:09 PM
J. Clarke

No Spam wrote:

I've got a Windows MCE 2005 machine with a 9800 Pro installed. A plasma
screen will be an upgrade in a few months. I'm wondering if the 9800
Pro can be set to output the correct resolution to the plasma screen.

For example, the Dell EDTV resolution is 852 x 480, and the HTDV is 1024
x 768.

I'd like to use the DVI port if possible, but if not, then I will
probably use the VGA or component inputs. I've heard of a program
called Powerstrip being used for special resolutions, but I'd rather not
have to use any special program.

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this.

If the set supports a "standard" resolution then using the ATI drivers might
be possible depending on the degree of overscan you encounter. If it uses
a nonstandard resolution (for example the Dell's 852 x 480) and doesn't
either (a) accurately report that in a standard manner or (b) come with an
appropriate inf file then the ATI drivers are not going to give you a way
to set the resolution. For that you would use Powerstrip, which when used
for this purpose does nothing fancier than set a new resolution in the list
that the ATI driver uses--once it's set up you can remove Powerstrip.

Personally I wouldn't spend the bucks for a 1024x768 plasma. Can't display
any standard HD mode higher than 480P and that's not much better than SD.
It might accept the inputs but then it's going to scale it all to Hell both
horizontally and vertically. Better to go with a WXGA that can handle 720P
without scaling.

Thanks!

--
--John