Can't hold off any longer!..... (Yet another update!!.)

Old July 28th 05, 11:28 PM
Jonni

Default Can't hold off any longer!..... (Yet another update!!.)

Jonni wrote:
Ok, so thanks to all who replied to my previous thread on 13/7/05.

So I purchased the XFX GeForce 6600GT from Overclockers (about £135) and
if I'm totally honest I'm a little disappointed. I suspect I know why,
but wanted to confirm with your goodselves

I think the MB\CPU are obviously causing a bottleneck now - Motherboard
is Intel 850 chipset with a P4 1.9Ghz. The board is only 4x AGP so that
means the 6600GT is only running at 4 not 8x AGP. Oh.. and also running
512MB of PC800 RDRAM

Now, (as I'm sure you'll all recognise this situation) - I'm looking to
upgrade to a new MB, CPU and Memory and I'm looking for recommendations.

Always been an intel man but this time I'm considering an Athlon 64!

I can't go crazy witht he cash but probably something in the P4 3.2Ghz
price range (secondhand an option)

So - looking for a recommendation of Mid range MB and chip to go with it.

TIA

John

So my saga continues!!

Well believe it or not, I returned my XFX 6600GT to overclockers after
discovering the bottleneck..... why? because I figure now it's time to
buy a new MB & CPU so I'd be as well buying a PCIe card too.

Overclockers took my 6600GT AGP back under the distance selling regs so
I get a full refund.

Now I'm in the market for a new MB, CPU & Memory and have around £350 to
spend so can I have some recommendations?.

Intel or AMD - had kinda settled on AMD (my first!) but may be swaying
back to Intel, not sure. Play games occasionally but mostly web surfing
, dreamweaver etc.

Obviously when I decide what CPU I'm going for, I can start looking at
motherboards, either S939 or 775

Also need some decent memory, 1GB preferable.

The task I'm least looking forward to is moving my old HD (IDE) over to
the new motherboard with XP and all apps installed as is!! - yes I know
this is tricky but it can be done!

Alternatively I'll be buying a SATA drive - imaging my IDE over to the
SATA and doing the same thing! - should be fun! - now I remember why i
got into PCs all those years ago!!!

Recommendations appreciated

John

HP Officejet D145 - Date/Time setting won't hold after battery replacement??? Superleech Printers 2 January 7th 05 09:51 PM
Broadcom V92 modem on hold problem humanbeing Dell Computers 0 August 9th 04 02:10 AM
Beatles chart in Canada before "I Want To Hold Your Hand" Taliesyn Printers 2 July 20th 04 06:09 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Hold Times 41min & Counting! SCW Compaq Computers 10 August 18th 03 12:59 AM