Newbie: X64 Nvidia Graphics Driver Upgrade

Old June 24th 05, 10:49 PM
Jed

Default Newbie: X64 Nvidia Graphics Driver Upgrade

Although experienced in other areas, I'm relatively new to upgrading
graphics drivers and have a question.

I have Windows XP Pro x64 installed on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum 3 with
an Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice core) CPU and an Asus GeForce 6200.

I've downloaded the 77.72 x64 WHQL candidate drivers from the Nvidia
website. I removed the old Nvidia drivers using Add Remove Software,
then attempted to install the new drivers. The driver files are
successfully installed into a C:\Nvidia directory, but when the Nvidia
setup program runs, it fails right after the logo with the error that
it "can't find any drivers compatible with your hardware setup. Setup
will exit."

Tried with an older driver version (71.84) I had downloaded earlier
but hadn't tried to install with the same results.

When I originally installed the Asus 6200 on the cleanly installed x64
system, it would also not install, apparently having a problem with
the setup program Asus used for its drivers, couldn't even copy the
drivers over, so I have just been using the generic Microsoft driver
up till now.

Where have I gone wrong?
Old June 25th 05, 12:23 AM
MHPNW STAFF

A few revisions ago, you stopped having to un-install the pervious drivers
before install.... it is probably looking for the origional install
location for the drivers...... IE: your CD rom....either burn the new
drivers to a disk, or reinstall the original ones, and then update with the
new ones....... hope this helps

Dennis

Old June 25th 05, 12:24 AM
dr ratt

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:49:09 -0700, Jed
wrote:

[...]

have you unlocked the card for more pipelines? or are you
overclocking?
if so revert to default settings & retry.

drunk ratt

gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
Old June 25th 05, 03:20 AM
Jed

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:23:41 -0700, "MHPNW STAFF"
wrote:

A few revisions ago, you stopped having to un-install the pervious drivers
before install.... it is probably looking for the origional install
location for the drivers...... IE: your CD rom....either burn the new
drivers to a disk, or reinstall the original ones, and then update with the
new ones....... hope this helps

I'll experiment with this. From the Nvidia website Driver Installation
Hints page, however, they are still recommending a complete uninstall
of the previous drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_...ion_hints.html

So that's a conundrum.