reasonable GPU alert temperature

Old August 30th 04, 09:09 PM

Default reasonable GPU alert temperature

I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon configuration
with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.

After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!

What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
temp should I flag a temperature alert?

The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
a much more reasonable value.

Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
as a default that should be listed in celcius?

Any thoughts?

Old August 30th 04, 09:39 PM
GTS

wrote in message ...
I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon

configuration
with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.

After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!

What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
temp should I flag a temperature alert?

The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
a much more reasonable value.

Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
as a default that should be listed in celcius?

Any thoughts?

I have a 5900 'vanilla' and idle temps are GPU 46-47c, ambient 35-36c
After gaming with i.e. Farcry the GPU reaches 65c or so.
You did'nt mention the ambient temp as stated in the Nvidia control panel -
so could it be poor case cooling? If you are using a 5900 XT or SE I think
they use smaller cooling solutions (my 5900 is a double-height card, using
up the space of the PCI slot below the AGP)

Old August 31st 04, 12:23 AM
Phuc Tup

I have a Gainward FX 5900 Ultra, not overclocked. Its running 46
ambient 55 GPU right now. Immediately after Doom3, it would hit 60 amb.
70 GPU when running on highest settings, more like 50 amb. 60 GPU when I
ran it on the next highest setting. System has been very stable.

Old August 31st 04, 01:37 AM
Rick Flair

Look for a program called rthdribl (use google), its a DX9 stress test that
runs in window.

Leave the Nvidia temperature tab open while the above program runs and watch
the temperature climb. After about 20-30 minutes you'll know your max GPU
temperature.

RF

Old August 31st 04, 02:34 AM
Hmmm Spam

.cable.rogers.com...

wrote in message ...
[...]

Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much as
an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
panel is not the best way to read the temps.

Buy the way during this very hot time we have been having here recently I
average 79 Core / 45 Ambient in games, Gainward FX5900 Ultra flashed to
FX5950 running 516MHz Core / 1.02 GHz RAM.

Old August 31st 04, 03:35 PM
Margolis

"Hmmm Spam" wrote in message
"Rick Flair" wrote in message

Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much

as
an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
panel is not the best way to read the temps.

exactly the truth there. If people are seeing 70 in the nvidia control
panel, it was probably close to 90 at the peak.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old September 1st 04, 02:52 AM
OldFartJAC

You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and looking
at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it windowed like
the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now visible in the
nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several minutes. My BFG 6800 GT
OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which has an ambient temp of about
81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The second I stopped the rthdribl test I
saw the nVidia control panel temp drop fro 90C to 77C almost instantly so I
now know that when I exited my game as quick as I could and saw the temp on
the nVidia control panel showing in the 75C+ range that it was way off from
the actual running temp.

Old September 1st 04, 04:09 AM
Kill Bill

"OldFartJAC" wrote in message
You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and
looking at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it
windowed like the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now
visible in the nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several minutes.
My BFG 6800 GT OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which has an
ambient temp of about 81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The second I
stopped the rthdribl test I saw the nVidia control panel temp drop fro 90C
to 77C almost instantly so I now know that when I exited my game as quick
as I could and saw the temp on the nVidia control panel showing in the
75C+ range that it was way off from the actual running temp.

Interesting, I idle at63C also, but only saw about 81-82C max with
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 on my PNY 6800 GT (at
400/1.0).

Old September 1st 04, 12:12 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:34:52 GMT, "Hmmm Spam"
wrote:

Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much as
an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
panel is not the best way to read the temps.

Thanks for the info.

FYI:-
Alt-Tab to an open nVidia Temp Settings also works just fine in most
games. Far Cry is fine, for example. However, not Doom 3. Temp will
drop 5 degrees C per second after exit, so an immediate read is
required. Those that are reporting sub-60degree C temps on
"performance-game-software" have either water-cooling or don't
know how to measure the in-game temp properly.

John Lewis

Old September 1st 04, 04:07 AM
Kill Bill

wrote:

Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much
as
an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
panel is not the best way to read the temps.

Thanks for the info.

FYI:-
Alt-Tab to an open nVidia Temp Settings also works just fine in most
games. Far Cry is fine, for example. However, not Doom 3. Temp will
drop 5 degrees C per second after exit, so an immediate read is
required. Those that are reporting sub-60degree C temps on
"performance-game-software" have either water-cooling or don't
know how to measure the in-game temp properly.

John Lewis

This little program jacks the temp up nicely. And runs in a window.
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434