is it possible to modding a geforce 8800 into a quadro ?

Old March 10th 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
g. bon

Default is it possible to modding a geforce 8800 into a quadro ?

Is there any hardware or software method to transform a geforce 8800 (GTS -
512MB) into a quadro ?
Where can we found the method to do it ?

thanks,

GB

Old March 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
Wrong. The hardware and GPU are different. No can do.

Wrong again, Dave W. I guess that's why the Quadro FX 4600 and 5600 use the
G80 90nm GPU which, wonder of wonders, is the exact same G80 GPU as the
8800GTX and 8800 Ultra. It can be done via softmod, but it's messy and does
not work as well as previous softmods of older cards. I would not recommend
it. Tons of threads out there, but this one is typical

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....ht=8800+quadro

Old March 11th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Augustus wrote:
"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
Wrong. The hardware and GPU are different. No can do.

Wrong again, Dave W. I guess that's why the Quadro FX 4600 and 5600 use the
G80 90nm GPU which, wonder of wonders, is the exact same G80 GPU as the
8800GTX and 8800 Ultra. It can be done via softmod, but it's messy and does
not work as well as previous softmods of older cards. I would not recommend
it. Tons of threads out there, but this one is typical

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....ht=8800+quadro

NVIDIA's chip designation is based on the same cores (G80, G84, etc),
but they seem to be adding "GL onto them to differentiate Quadro's and I
doubt this is merely marketing. Older cards (GF6 series and before)
were easily modded to Quadro's with RivaTuner, but newer ones are a
total pain in the ass and professional applications like Solidworks may
not detect them as a Quadro.
Old March 11th 08, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

NVIDIA's chip designation is based on the same cores (G80, G84, etc), but
they seem to be adding "GL onto them to differentiate Quadro's and I doubt
this is merely marketing. Older cards (GF6 series and before) were easily
modded to Quadro's with RivaTuner, but newer ones are a total pain in the
ass and professional applications like Solidworks may not detect them as a
Quadro.

It's more the case that the GL extensions and functions are enabled by the
Quadro BIOS and Quadro drivers, rather than the G80 architecture is
physically different. The GPU, shaders and memory have different different
clock settings. Memory size is larger, as is the PCB. The Nvidia CUDA
Programming Guide 1.1 has most of this stuff in it.

Old March 11th 08, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* deimos:

NVIDIA's chip designation is based on the same cores (G80, G84, etc),
but they seem to be adding "GL onto them to differentiate Quadro's and I
doubt this is merely marketing.

The GPUs are 100% identical, that's a fact. The difference lies in the
functionality that is activated by the driver.

Older cards (GF6 series and before)
were easily modded to Quadro's with RivaTuner, but newer ones are a
total pain in the ass and professional applications like Solidworks may
not detect them as a Quadro.

That's because changes in the hardware made it more different to change
the GPU ID from Geforce to Quadro.

Benjamin
Old March 12th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* deimos:

NVIDIA's chip designation is based on the same cores (G80, G84, etc),
but they seem to be adding "GL onto them to differentiate Quadro's and
I doubt this is merely marketing.

The GPUs are 100% identical, that's a fact. The difference lies in the
functionality that is activated by the driver.

Do you have a source on this? I used to think the same, but I've seen
anecdotal evidence that the cores have different transistor counts and
certainly there are different surface components (accounting for the
12-bit color output precision and other media production centric features).

Older cards (GF6 series and before) were easily modded to Quadro's
with RivaTuner, but newer ones are a total pain in the ass and
professional applications like Solidworks may not detect them as a
Quadro.

That's because changes in the hardware made it more different to change
the GPU ID from Geforce to Quadro.

Benjamin

Many professional applications like the ones I work with actually have
some code for Quadro specific detection that goes beyond just the driver
or device ID, so there must be an API method of detecting Quadro
features other than just DXCaps or GL extensions.
Old March 11th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* DaveW:

Wrong. The hardware and GPU are different. No can do.

Still no clue what you're talking about, ******? FYI: the GPUs of Quadro
and Geforce are identical.

How about a nice cup of shut the **** up?

Benjamin