8knxp Ultra SCSI boot problem

Old January 18th 04, 06:55 AM
Gevorg

Default 8knxp Ultra SCSI boot problem

My memory finally came..Dual channel XMS Corsair 512mb. Im trying to
have my computer boot from a SCSI device. I installed a Seagate 15k
rpm Hard drive and i formatted it through the SCSI utility that is
prompted at the begining of boot up. After formattting i tried to
install windows 2000 but after inserting the CD and having it boot
from CD and after it goes through all the pre installation tests it
tells me that i do not have a hard disk installed and i should check
all the connections and what not. But i formatted the drive
already..bio detects the drive..its there...what am i doing wrong?

The SCSI drive is the only drive i have.

Thank you
Old January 18th 04, 08:36 AM
Tim

Gevorig,
Did you install the SCSI drivers via F6 right at the start of the Windows (I
assume) installation?
When it first boots off CD, it will prompt you to press F6 for additional
drivers...
- Tim

om...

Old January 19th 04, 03:49 AM
Gevorg

"Tim" wrote in message ...
Gevorig,
Did you install the SCSI drivers via F6 right at the start of the Windows (I
assume) installation?
When it first boots off CD, it will prompt you to press F6 for additional
drivers...
- Tim

"Gevorg" wrote in message
om...
My memory finally came..Dual channel XMS Corsair 512mb. Im trying to
have my computer boot from a SCSI device. I installed a Seagate 15k
rpm Hard drive and i formatted it through the SCSI utility that is
prompted at the begining of boot up. After formattting i tried to
install windows 2000 but after inserting the CD and having it boot
from CD and after it goes through all the pre installation tests it
tells me that i do not have a hard disk installed and i should check
all the connections and what not. But i formatted the drive
already..bio detects the drive..its there...what am i doing wrong?

The SCSI drive is the only drive i have.

Thank you

Actually i just got another old HD and installed win2k on that and
just tried to get my SCSI drive working through windows but still
can't. I installed the scsi drivers that came on the gigabyte CD and
it still doesn't wanna be detected in windows. When starting up..bio
detects it but windows is freakin BLIND!
Old January 19th 04, 04:22 AM
Tim

So are you running Windows off an IDE disc?

Take a look in Disk Manager - have you created a partition?
Under XP it is in Administrative tools under Computer Management.

- Tim

"Gevorg" wrote in message
om...
"Tim" wrote in message

Gevorig,
Did you install the SCSI drivers via F6 right at the start of the

Windows (I
assume) installation?
When it first boots off CD, it will prompt you to press F6 for

additional
drivers...
- Tim

om...

Old January 19th 04, 06:21 AM
Gevorg

(Gevorg) wrote in message . com...
"Tim" wrote in message ...
Gevorig,
Did you install the SCSI drivers via F6 right at the start of the Windows (I
assume) installation?
When it first boots off CD, it will prompt you to press F6 for additional
drivers...
- Tim

"Gevorg" wrote in message
om...
[...]

ok..now i got windows to finally detect my HD...how can i install
winxp on the SCSI drive without making it restart and do the other
installation process from dos. Because i don' t have the drivers on a
floppy and also don't have a floppy drive yet. I installed win2k on
the IDE drive and thought i would be able to just install winxp on the
scsi drive but it wants to do the installation through dos and the
installer in dos doesn't detect the scsi drive cuz i need the drivers
on a disc....anyone got a solution for me to install winxp on my SCSI
drive?
Old January 21st 04, 08:09 AM
Tim

Gevorg,

BTW - it is not a good idea to use your real email address in news groups -
you invite spam and the Swen virus.

A fellow in another news group came up with this rather detailed answer. I
hope he doesn't mind sharing... credit to him - his name is Pat:

One approach is to do a network-based install. This is how I do it,
using http://unattended.sourceforge.net/.

You could probably use RIS, too. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254078 and search for all instances
of "mass-storage". Or start doing Google searches on terms like
"third party" (or "OEM"), "mass-storage", and "RIS".

It may be possible to integrate the drivers directly into your CD-ROM
as you ask, using something like the Windows 2000 procedure in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=288344. But I have not heard of
anybody who has done so successfully. If you want to pursue this
route, try asking in the forums over at http://unattended.msfn.org/;
they are the experts on CD-based installs.

___

RIS = Remote installation Service. Available under Windows 2000 or 2003
server.

- Tim

"Gevorg" wrote in message
om...
(Gevorg) wrote in message

. com...
"Tim" wrote in message

Gevorig,
Did you install the SCSI drivers via F6 right at the start of the

Windows (I
assume) installation?
When it first boots off CD, it will prompt you to press F6 for

additional
drivers...
- Tim

om...