Two (New) Bad HDDs??

Old August 10th 11, 09:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Two (New) Bad HDDs??

I've had two new 1TB Seagate hdds for about a year that have never been
used. Still in the boxes, stored out of sight till a couple days ago.
I've put both of them in a Xion hdd dock and am told there is no disk. Win
7 gives me a drive letter but says to insert a disk or some negative
message indicating the hdd isn't working. The card read and usb ports on
the hdd dock WORK. Is it more likely the hdd slot is bad on the docking
station or both NEW hdds are bad? I would connect one of them to my
crippled desktop to let Ubuntu "see" it but that OS has decided to stop
booting. I'm ready to go back to the technological dark ages
Monica

Old August 10th 11, 02:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Aug 10, 4:24*am, "Monica" wrote:
I've had two new 1TB Seagate hdds for about a year that have never been
used. *Still in the boxes, stored out of sight till a couple days ago.
I've put both of them in a Xion hdd dock and am told there is no disk. *Win
7 gives me *a drive letter *but says to insert a disk or some negative
message indicating the hdd isn't working. *The card read and usb ports on
the hdd dock WORK. * Is it more likely the hdd slot is bad on the docking
station or both NEW hdds are bad? *I would connect one of them to my
crippled desktop to let Ubuntu "see" it but that OS has decided to stop
booting. *I'm ready to go back to the technological dark ages
Monica

Are the drives formatted? Does the HDD dock have any built-in limit
on drive capacity, due to its use of older hardware chips?

It's unlikely that these are bad drives, but you never know. Too many
negative out-of-box experiences these days... Ben Myers
Old August 10th 11, 03:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 03:24:14 -0500, "Monica"
wrote:

I've had two new 1TB Seagate hdds for about a year that have never been
used. Still in the boxes, stored out of sight till a couple days ago.
I've put both of them in a Xion hdd dock and am told there is no disk. Win
7 gives me a drive letter but says to insert a disk or some negative
message indicating the hdd isn't working. The card read and usb ports on
the hdd dock WORK. Is it more likely the hdd slot is bad on the docking
station or both NEW hdds are bad? I would connect one of them to my
crippled desktop to let Ubuntu "see" it but that OS has decided to stop
booting. I'm ready to go back to the technological dark ages
Monica

I can't answer your question. I tend to think like Ben and am
thinking maybe they're good but need formatting. However, I've had
drives go bad as well as new drives arrive bad from the vendor so it's
possible they are bad too.
Old August 10th 11, 07:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

As far as I know they're not formatted, unless bare drives are supposed to
come that way. I didn't realize that if the drive wasn't formatted the dock
wouldn't recognize it or at least give me the option of formatting it. I
can right click on the drive letter and get the option to format but it says
to put a disk in the disk drive. Is that correct behavior Last night I
removed my b/u drive from the desktop to see if the dock could read it. It
did, so I now know it's not the dock.
Don't know if it would have worked but since Ubuntu will no longer run on my
crippled desktop (I even burned a new CD) I can't attempt
to format it using Linux. After I choose "run from CD", cd drive spins for
a few minutes, stops and nothing happens. At this point, I guess I'll
attempt to install Ubuntu vs running it from the cd. Website says it can
run along side of Windows but I have no idea if it will work since the
Windows os isn't working.
Did I mention I'm ready to go back to the technological dark ages?! Almost
20 years of computing and not one crash till 3 months ago and now another
one. One Mother Nature's fault (ok, I should have had better protection)
and one mine

If there is anyway to fix my ailing hdd just for the purpose of making a
couple current backups of a couple programs, I really need to do that. I
googled this STOP error code but came up empty. Do you guys know of any
software I could download and purchase that might be able to fix the drive?
Stop: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X8ABF48B0, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000)

Old August 10th 11, 07:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

Default Incorrect Internal HD Designation and Other Problems

I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer with Windows 7 Prof (SP1), and two
installed internal physical HDs. The HDs were initially setup as follows:
1st Physical HD (Disk O - Disk Management): OS (C)(920gb), OEM (no
letter)(39gb), and No Name (no letter)(10.88gb). The 2nd Physical HD (used
only for data backup)(Disk 1 - Disk Management): Image Backup (D)(521gb),
and Data Backup, (E)(410gb)

In the past few months, I began to notice unusual problems with the computer
such as: (1) in Disk Management, Disk O designation would be reversed with
Disk 1. Generally, a reboot would resolve this problem. (2) I also began to
have problems with moving files and folders and some other unusual errors
(3) Had problems in seeing the external HDs (USB). Checked the external HDs
on another computer and they were okay. (4) Began to have trouble with
printer errors).

I decided to check the computers memory (Windows Memory Diagnostic) and
found errors. Checked with Dell, and they decided to replace all of the
existing memory. The computer did seem to settle down a bit, but the
external HD problem began to appear again, as well as the printer. Dell
decided to replace the motherboard (replaced yesterday). The printer errors
have gone away and the external HDs did appear in Disk Management but I had
to assign a partition letter to each external HD so that I could see them in
windows explorer (did not have to do this in the past except for the initial
setup of the external HDs). As to Disk assignment, in Disk Management, the
primary HD (OS) is now Disk 1 and the second internal HD for Data is now
Disk O. I went to System Information (Disks) and it too shows the same
incorrect information as Disk Management.
I would very much appreciate any help in resolving the above problems. Sam

Old August 10th 11, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Monica" wrote in message
[...]

you are obviously using another computer to get online and post to this NG.
Connect your USB dock and the new HD to this computer. Go to disc manager
and activate and then format the drive.

Old August 10th 11, 08:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Thanks for the direction. Didn't realize I had to do that. But, I don't
think anything has changed. I got the option to activate but even after
refreshing the disks, the drive reads, unallocated and if I right click on
the drive (in Computerf) and choose format, I still get an error message
that there is no disk in drive E. I've been using this Win 7 laptop all
along to try to recognize the hdd in the dock.
I put my backup drive in the dock and it shows up as a healthy logical drive
in Disk Management.

Old August 10th 11, 11:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Ever heard the saying "you can't see the forest for the trees" or "if it had
been a snake it would have bitten me"?
HDDs are formatted.

Old August 12th 11, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
luke

"Monica" wrote in message ...
I've had two new 1TB Seagate hdds for about a year that have never been used. Still in
the boxes, stored out of sight till a couple days ago. I've put both of them in a Xion
hdd dock and am told there is no disk. Win 7 gives me a drive letter but says to
insert a disk or some negative message indicating the hdd isn't working. The card read
and usb ports on the hdd dock WORK. Is it more likely the hdd slot is bad on the
docking station or both NEW hdds are bad? I would connect one of them to my crippled
desktop to let Ubuntu "see" it but that OS has decided to stop booting. I'm ready to
Monica

RTM

Xion 3.5 HD enclosures only support up to 400GB max

http://www.xionusa.com/Product-case-...ureLECL002.asp

Troll over

Luke

Seagate ES from china: Bad bad bad Arno Wagner Storage (alternative) 19 February 13th 07 04:06 AM
Is 2 HDDs better than 1 Monster Homebuilt PC's 7 July 30th 04 06:34 PM
hdds & PCI? Broken Overclocking 2 June 26th 04 05:06 AM
Two HDDs Moon General 1 April 3rd 04 04:12 PM
Maxtor 200GB Harddrive -- clanking noise -- bad, bad, bad Tom Scales Storage (alternative) 9 February 26th 04 11:59 PM