No boot with joy stick attached

Old April 28th 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default No boot with joy stick attached

I have an odd problem with my new xps 600.

If I boot with the Logiteck joy stick plugged into a
USB port, the system hangs after bios, right at it normally
switches to the starting XP screen.

The stick works fine if plugged in after the machine has booted
to windows.

I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, with no help.

A search of the Dell forums did not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
Old April 28th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:
If I boot with the Logiteck joy stick plugged into a
USB port, the system hangs after bios, right at it normally
switches to the starting XP screen.

Some BIOSen will attempt to boot from really bizarre USB devices. I've
seen this happen with HP AIO printers with USB card readers, for
instance.

Try setting the BIOS boot sequence to not boot from USB {floppies,
etc} or to boot from them last and see what happens.
Old April 29th 06, 05:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:
I spoke too soon. I had booted it three times in a row with success, and thought
all was well. Then the problem came back. I moved the joystick to the USB hub in
my monitor, and it is working for now. But I do not trust it yet.

That might actually help, as the BIOS is unlikely to try to init
external hubs, so it'll be unable to see the joystick. Let us know...