High Price of Canon Printers in UK!

Old September 16th 03, 01:43 PM
Stephen Barr

Default High Price of Canon Printers in UK!

I want a Canon i850 and the cheapest price I can find in the UK is about
£148 plus delivery which is incredibly high compared with the U.S. prices I
see quoted in this group. Am I the only one who finds these UK prices
outrageous and does anyone know of a source in the UK which will charge a
realistic price for a superceded printer?
TIA
Steve
Old September 16th 03, 02:31 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:43:48 GMT, Stephen Barr wrote:

=3DI want a Canon i850 and the cheapest price I can find in the UK is a=
bout
=3D=A3148 plus delivery which is incredibly high compared with the U.S.=
prices I
=3Dsee quoted in this group. Am I the only one who finds these UK price=
=3Doutrageous and does anyone know of a source in the UK which will cha=
rge a
=3Drealistic price for a superseded printer?
=3DTIA
=3DSteve

I've found pretty well all UK prices too high (I
occasionally feed my other hobby, model trains, with
purchases from the UK.) Why is this? Because the GBP is
overvalued. Its true buying power (as you have discovered)
is about $1, but it exchanges for roughly $2. Why the
over-high exchange rate? Probably because it's one of the
two currencies most used for cross-border investing; IOW,
it's an international currency. (The other overvalued
currency us the US$, which is about 30% too high IMO. It
seems the international currency market is edging towards
my opinion.... Watch prices for imported goods in the US to
rise steadily over the next 12-18 months.)

--
Wolf Kirchmeir
If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on the train?

Old September 16th 03, 05:45 PM
Mike

"Stephen Barr" wrote in message
I want a Canon i850 and the cheapest price I can find in the UK is about
£148 plus delivery which is incredibly high compared with the U.S. prices

see quoted in this group. Am I the only one who finds these UK prices
outrageous and does anyone know of a source in the UK which will charge a
realistic price for a superceded printer?
TIA
Steve

It's a well known fact that manufactures will charge the highest price they
think they can get away with in the UK.
Not just printers, it's most things.

Old September 16th 03, 07:39 PM
Stephen Barr

[...]

Hi Wolf,
Many thanks for your prompt reply and explanation...In the circumstances do
you think I should 'bite the bullet'and buy now or perhaps wait for a
possible price-fall when the new models become more widely available in the
UK?
Thank again.
Steve
Old September 17th 03, 12:48 AM

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:45:45 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

"Stephen Barr" wrote in message
I want a Canon i850 and the cheapest price I can find in the UK is about
£148 plus delivery which is incredibly high compared with the U.S. prices

see quoted in this group. Am I the only one who finds these UK prices
outrageous and does anyone know of a source in the UK which will charge a
realistic price for a superceded printer?
TIA
Steve

It's a well known fact that manufactures will charge the highest price they
think they can get away with in the UK.
Not just printers, it's most things.

Olympus P400 dye sub printer - UK £450 US £250.
A4 Paper for above 50 sheets UK £50 US £25
Ink film cartridge UK £50 US £25

Cost per A4 print UK £2 US £1

MJ