asus abmzn-la mobo, help find or replace plz!!!

Old December 3rd 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default asus abmzn-la mobo, help find or replace plz!!!

Collon wrote:
Nice talking to you guys. You both made me think of things I've not thought
of before about the innards of comp.

There is no computer speaker on this comp (a8m2n-la mobo), so I won't hear
any beeps. In my original post I had asked if anyone knew if this particular
MOBO was supposed to beep when the ram was pulled out. But the ram isn't
bad, and there were no beeps.

So now I am too understand that if there are no beeps, I should supsect the
CPU more than the MOBO?

I need another mobo similar to the M2NPV-VM and that uses the basic Athlon
64 cpu, preferably from Newegg.com. I can send it back and pay the
restocking fee if it's not the mobo that is the problem.

There is a piezo buzzer in the upper right corner of your motherboard.
The black circle just above the IDE connector. A beep could come from
there. No need for a computer case speaker, as it is integrated into
the motherboard. This is a distinguishing feature of OEM boards,
in that they like to include the circle shaped thing. If the circle
is not present, then there should be wires from the panel header, to
a speaker in the computer case.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00757541.jpg

As for a motherboard, I see a Biostar board with 6150. Note that
the reviews for this board, are pretty bad. It is a
"roulette wheel" type product.

You should go to the Biostar site and verify your CPU model
will work in the motherboard, before you buy it.

There are plenty of other AM2 boards, but the chipset will
be different.

Paul
Old December 3rd 08, 10:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.computer.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...414&CatId=1916

Paul look at that above. Shouldn't I just buy that? It looks like it comes
with ram and the cpu. My god, it's only $140 and I was about spend $110 just
to get the mobo! It doesn't come with fans though So when I get this
thing, I will have to see about how to get fans in it.

Don't you think the fan on the heat sink I have in the old comp should work
on this one? Is it possible to get another fan in this barebones comp some
how?

Thanks for taking so much time to help me Paul and Kony.

Old December 4th 08, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
CBFalconer

Collon wrote:

.... snip ...

There is no computer speaker on this comp (a8m2n-la mobo), so I
won't hear any beeps. In my original post I had asked if anyone
knew if this particular MOBO was supposed to beep when the ram
was pulled out. But the ram isn't bad, and there were no beeps.

There is always a speaker. It may not look like one.

If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com (or
equivalent), ensure you quote enough for the article to make sense.
Google is only an interface to Usenet; it's not Usenet itself.
Don't assume your readers can, or ever will, see any previous
articles.

More details at: http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.
Old December 4th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Collon wrote:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...414&CatId=1916

Paul look at that above. Shouldn't I just buy that? It looks like it comes
with ram and the cpu. My god, it's only $140 and I was about spend $110 just
to get the mobo! It doesn't come with fans though So when I get this
thing, I will have to see about how to get fans in it.

Don't you think the fan on the heat sink I have in the old comp should work
on this one? Is it possible to get another fan in this barebones comp some
how?

Thanks for taking so much time to help me Paul and Kony.

It will be a deal, assuming nothing goes wrong when the OS
tries to boot.

Worst case, you may end up purchasing an OS
CD, and doing a repair install or clean install. Or,
because there are enough chipset similarities, the OS starts
and needs to be activated again. I cannot predict exactly what
will happen. But in your budgeting, you should also consider
that it could mean another OS.

The recovery partition on the Compaq Presario sr2017cl is
likely keyed to the motherboard identity, so using the recovery
procedure at some future date may not be possible. The current
working OS image, will have drivers for a 6150/430, so there
is a good chance it will start immediately when connected to
the new motherboard. But if your OS is ever attacked by a virus,
or you feel the need to reinstall the OS, at that point there
could be a problem requiring more money (new OS). (Someone
was asking a question like this a few days ago - swapped mobos
and was using the OEM OS for a while, and needed to do a
reinstall. It is an issue to watch for.)

You can check resellerratings, for more info about Tiger Direct.
Make sure you read enough reviews, to see what the worst case
scenario can be by doing business with them. Or use Google.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Tiger_Direct

Compare to the comments from a year ago. They probably have
been trying to clean up their image, but some of the people
in these groups, have long memories :-(

http://web.archive.org/web/200612080...e/Tiger_Direct

HTH,
Paul
Old December 4th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

No, it's a "buzzer," as Paul pointed out and included a very helpful
screenshot. And I was talking specifically to Paul and Kony, who are the
only ones in this thread actually helping and staying on topic And hey,
it's not my fault you all of a sudden came in at the end of the thread so
haha

lol.

Thanks again Paul. cya!

Old December 4th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
CBFalconer

Collon wrote: *** top-posting corrected ***
"CBFalconer" wrote:

There is always a speaker. It may not look like one.

If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com (or
equivalent), ensure you quote enough for the article to make
sense. Google is only an interface to Usenet; it's not Usenet
itself. Don't assume your readers can, or ever will, see any
previous articles.

No, it's a "buzzer," as Paul pointed out and included a very
helpful screenshot. And I was talking specifically to Paul and
Kony, who are the only ones in this thread actually helping and
staying on topic And hey, it's not my fault you all of a
sudden came in at the end of the thread so haha

You are very confused about the use and purposes of Usenet. It is
NOT a person to person vehicle. It is a public system. Personal
communication should be executed via email.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ (taming google)
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ (newusers)

Old December 5th 08, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.computer.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pokey man

I dont think it comes with heatsink either, it does look like a good deal
though. I would invest in a good HS/fan to protect investment.

Pokey

Old December 6th 08, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:41:53 -0600, "Collon"
wrote:

No, it's a "buzzer," as Paul pointed out and included a very helpful
screenshot. And I was talking specifically to Paul and Kony, who are the
only ones in this thread actually helping and staying on topic And hey,
it's not my fault you all of a sudden came in at the end of the thread so
haha

lol.

That's not a very good way to encourage people to help. Cut
back on the caffeine.