How to find which PROCESSORs I can REPLACE with (Mobile P4)

Old February 20th 06, 09:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Default How to find which PROCESSORs I can REPLACE with (Mobile P4)

I need to replace the processor on a 2.5 years old acer laptop.

How do I find out which ones I can use (besides the power/heat issue?)

Its an Acer Travelmate 630 with a Mobile Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz - M

Thanks
Olav

Old February 21st 06, 12:12 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Go to intel.com and download the intel chipset identification
utility. When you have identified the chipset, then go back to intel

Thanks..there is a practical problem: the processor is burned, so I
would have to insert a pocessor which I know is working first....

Olav

Old February 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

wrote:
Go to intel.com and download the intel chipset identification
utility. When you have identified the chipset, then go back to intel

Thanks..there is a practical problem: the processor is burned, so I
would have to insert a pocessor which I know is working first....

Are you sure you're not just going to burn the "new" processor then?

Anyway, http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/html/tm630.html claims
that the chipset is "ALi M1671 and M1535+" (for all versions of 630).
Other sources says "ALi ALADDiN-P4" which is the same, so it should be
correct.

However, almost all links to this chipset on ALi's pages are dead, so
it seems very hard to find out what intel chips it might support.

The P4-M was evidently built up to 2.6 GHz, and a cursory inspection
suggests that the 2.0 GHz and higher used the same voltages (and other
easily visible attributes).

Cooling might be a problem, but the TDP seems to be not THAT
dissimilar up to the fastest P4-M (and the rest looks even closer),
though the two older of the four P4-M 2.0GHz lists *two* TDP figures,
if it's one of those and the lower figure is right (which it probably
isn't!) it's a 70% TDP increase... However the TDP isn't in itself a
guarantee that it won't overheat, but it looks slightly less
improbably than I had originally assumed.

The BIOS might also cause problems, it might refuse to start unless
the BIOS "recognize" the CPU model and since it's a laptop (and old!)
this list might be very small.

None of these are necessarily showstoppers, it COULD work, but unless
you are carefull you might be out with that money and still end up
having to buy a new laptop!

Also, the CPU isn't exactly widely available, pricewatch found only
one source and while they had several different models the fastest
they had was 2.0GHz. eBay lists more at lower prices, but most seems
to be pulls from machines, and even the "new in box" from a "good"
vendor might be more risky than an internet shop (and be careful with
that eBay listing, it includes variety of Mobile P4's in addition to
Mobile P4-M).

If you go for a 2.0 GHz you might want to try to match the sSpec on
the original CPU, to reduce risk of trouble as much as possible
(StallionTek had 3 of the 4 possible sSpec and many of the eBay
listings also includes the sSpec).

But I think you're far better of buying a new laptop!
Laptops are much fiddlier and complicated to do major surgery on, the
Mobile P4-M series of CPUs is no longer available and it's already
burned the original CPU...

http://support.intel.com/support/pro...bile/pentium4/
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...&Pkgt ype=ALL

http://www.stalliontek.com/SearchRes...y=Title&Page=2
http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plisting...716/index.html

http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/products/a...ucts_m1671.htm
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/alialaddinp4/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/01/...ere/index.html
Old February 22nd 06, 11:51 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

But I think you're far better of buying a new laptop!
Laptops are much fiddlier and complicated to do major surgery on, the
Mobile P4-M series of CPUs is no longer available and it's already
burned the original CPU...

The only quote for a chip supposed to be compatible so far is € 360 -

same frequency, but I think caches etc. are higher (isnt that the way
to go?).

Seems to be better to take the chance of buying something for € 50 on
ebay?

Thanks
Olav

Old February 25th 06, 02:43 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

On 20 Feb 2006 13:05:04 -0800, wrote:

I need to replace the processor on a 2.5 years old acer laptop.

How do I find out which ones I can use (besides the power/heat issue?)

Its an Acer Travelmate 630 with a Mobile Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz - M

I imagine it would be safe to replace it with a Mobile Intel Pentium 4
2.0Ghz :-) Ant reason not to?

What happened? CPU failure by itself is rare.

Tuning NF7-S and Athlon Mobile 2600+ for images and audio / low energy use [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 7 March 22nd 05 04:24 PM
Mobile Processors Ryan Overclocking AMD Processors 6 May 14th 04 08:06 PM
Celeron 1.3GHz, and other Q'a Robert Myers General 1 April 16th 04 07:19 AM
Intel Mobile Processors NoSpam General 1 December 25th 03 09:07 AM
Advantages/Disadvantages of Mobile Processors compared to Normal Processors Luke General 4 August 17th 03 07:15 AM