Epsons designed to stop??

Old May 19th 05, 11:03 PM
Shooter

If the waste pad is full and requires replacing and the machine resetting
the figure is measured in points. One can reset on say an Epson 2200 if the
points are 40.000 or less if like my machine the points are 50.000 plus then
you have to replace the pads before resetting, if the points reach 60.000
then it's time to replace anyway. I have had my 2100 some three years and in
another 7000 points they will have to be changed, or I can fit a waste
bottle and reset. the above figures are generated in Epson printer
adjustment program. It is not that hard to fit new pads but it's far better
in my opinion to fit a waste bottle and a must if you consider using a CIS.

"CSE" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:33:05 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally

knows
about these things in a professional capacity:

"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people

aren't.!!"

Yes when the Soak Pad is Full, but that can be Reset, its very normal, you

are
suposted to replace thwe Soak Pads and reset the Printer, not a user

thing.

I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for

many
years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not

have
reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.

Cheers

Old May 20th 05, 08:08 AM
H.Henkler

Tony schrieb:

All inkjets produce waste ink (in the same way laser printers produce waste
toner). This ink has to be stored somewhere other than in the printer mechanism
or on the paper. Different manufacturers handle this in different ways. Canon
and Epson use a similar system of storing the waste ink in a felt like pad,
often covering large areas of the printer base. The built in electronics
estimate when the pad is nearing saturation and this results in the deliberate
error message. Unfortunately Epson has in the past made this message somewhat
obscure. The replacement of the waste ink pad is a job for someone who is
technically experienced (especially in less recent models) and therefore they
do not readily make the reset code available, lest someone simply resets the
printer and does not replace the pad potentially resulting in ink all over the
place! The codes are however available from various sources on the internet;
use with care, most Epson printers will survive one reset without replacing the
pads but don't blame me if your printer floods your desk! Most HP inkjets have
cartridges with built in heads, these also produce waste which is stored in a
service station of various types, there is no count done by most HP's inkjets
so when the service station fills up the printhead carriage starts to
"bulldoze" the waste ink, spreading it in a fine spray over parts of the
printer, in severe cases ink actually starts to ooze from the printer base! HP
provides instructions on their website for emptying many of their printer
service stations. I suggest that anybody who has an older HP inkjet printer
checks out the website especially if the printer covers start to subtly change
colour around the head parking area (quite a subtle and slow change). It is a
big job to clean out any inkjet that has become badly contaminated with ink,
prevention is cheaper than cure!
Tony

"Mike" wrote:
Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
about these things in a professional capacity:

"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"

I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.

Cheers

Donīt worry ! There wonīt be "ink all over ther place", because printer inks are more or
less pure water with very small amounts of water-soluble dyes and other additives. So
what happens to the ink absorbed by the felt is that the water will evaporate within
hours leaving the felt as dry behind as before. Donīt care for the dye residues !!
Herb Henkler

Old May 20th 05, 12:12 PM
Shooter

Hi Jon,

I got mine with the manual at www.inkjetprinterhelp.us
Hope that helps.

"Jon O'Brien" wrote in message
k...
In article ,
(Shooter) wrote:

...the above figures are generated in Epson printer adjustment program.

Is this a generally available piece of software? If so, where can it be
found, please?

Jon.

Old May 20th 05, 12:34 PM
Tony

Herb
The reality is that inkjet printers that are allowed to accumulate ink in the
waste ink collectors will eventually overflow.
This will in turn result in a big mess.
I have seen this many times.
The manufacturers of the printers put the protection counters in place for good
reason.
If you don't believe this then I suggest that you do not worry about your
printer; everything will be fine..........until you have to clean up the mess.
Your call!
Tony

Old May 20th 05, 01:25 PM
Jon O'Brien

In article ,
(Shooter) wrote:

I got mine with the manual at
www.inkjetprinterhelp.us
Hope that helps.

I'm sure it will when I manage to get the site to respond! At the moment,
all I'm getting is a timeout.

BTW, according to Google, there's no 'www' in the address.

Many thanks,
Jon.
Old May 20th 05, 02:15 PM
Shooter

A little strange as I have just clicked on the address I gave you below and
it came straight up.