Epson admits that using their tanks will void your warranty!

Old May 10th 05, 06:57 PM
Keme

pcbutts1 wrote:
You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
or anybody else's.

The response was to a hypothetical situation where Epson trusted a third
party supplier, and delivered their cartridges instead of their own with
the printers. Those cartridges would fall into the category "OEM"
because they're supplied by the manufacturer, the de facto "OEM", as it
were.
Old May 10th 05, 07:12 PM
George E. Cawthon

pcbutts1 wrote:
You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
or anybody else's.

I agree. Somebody can't understand English.
Original Equipment Manufacture means that it is
what was used in the new item. It doesn't make
any difference if Epson contracted the tanks or
any other part out to other companies, it is what
was in the new item.

The OP error was in getting fancy and saying OEM.
She should have just said Epson tanks.
Old May 10th 05, 07:30 PM
Kevin

Miss P,
Unless I am mistaken, you are in the UK. Have you thought about calling
Epson Technical Support in the USA? I have never been treated in the manner
you have and you are perfectly right to be ****ed off. I would call Epson
and insist on speaking with a manager or supervisor and have the text of
your conversation with the snotty tech you spoke with handy. This is what
supervisor are for.

When I called Epson in the US, located in New York as I recall, I was
treated with respect and my issues were dealt with quickly and fairly. I
had a problem with my 820 and a supervisor offered to send me a new R200,
plus a free black cartridge and free shipping with 10% off the website
price.

There was no discussion of semantics involving the meaning of OEM or Genuine
Epson in regards to anything connected with the printer or the cartridges.
I was simply asked if I was using Epson brand cartridges or not.

"old jon" wrote in message
Quote:
pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for

particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the

printhead
is dead.

Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted

two
sets of tanks cleaning
Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
Me: - OEM
Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
will void your warranty.

By this point I was ****ing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...

Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.

I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
using the initials OEM. I couldn't.

Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
anything other than genuine Epson?
Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
Epson: - /silence/
Me: - Well?
Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
Epson: - No they're OEM
Me: - No, they're third-party

He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them

tomorrow,
and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.

Old May 10th 05, 09:20 PM
measekite

Davy wrote:

Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.

I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
with the same symptoms

When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
said...!

So No more Epsons for me.

I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
wasted tons of ink.

I understand that this model was not up to snuff. The R series of
printer have improved but I hear they are ink guzzlers. Most of the
people who have clog problems either use 3rd party inks and/or have a
light print load.

Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
inks - I've prove it

I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
to know out of curiousity.

Davy

Old May 10th 05, 09:29 PM
measekite

old jon wrote:

Quote:
pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a
particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J

The above paragraph made sense.

Old May 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Caitlin

"Davy" wrote in message
news:b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.

I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
with the same symptoms

When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
said...!

So No more Epsons for me.

Name a manufacturer that does supply a full new warranty with replacement
equipment? As far as I know none of them do.

Old May 11th 05, 12:28 AM
Davy

measekitewrote:
Davy wrote:

I understand that this model was not up to snuff. The R series of
printer have improved but I hear they are ink guzzlers. Most of the
people who have clog problems either use 3rd party inks and/or have a

light print load.

To measekite
Davy say's
Perhaps you should read what I have said, I shall repeat. Whilst under
guarantee I ENSURED I used Epson Inks - Genuine Epson inks

AGAIN, I will say Epson ink is LIABLE to clog just as much as third
party inks, have I proved that. The only time I did not use Epson ink
was when the 2nd printer developed the same fault in the same amount
of time OK? That was when I switched to JET-TEC. I also ensured that
the printer never went without use..

What are we suppose to do - GO AWAY ON HOLIDAY AND BUY A NEW EPSON
WHEN WE RETURN? AND WHY IS THERE NO ADVICE IN THEIR USER MANUAL
REGARDING THIS MATTER.

I apologise for hi-jacking this post but have to respond to people who
can not comprehend what is being said.

Old May 11th 05, 12:39 AM
Roy

[...]

Hi there.

This sort of thing is becoming more and more common, it is not confined to
Epson .

The problem is "Call Centres".

When you phone any big company nowadays, you get through to one of these
places. They ask certain questions, and while doing so put the answers into
the Computer, and depending on the answers another question is asked.

Just exactly like using the Troubleshooter in Windows.

And the person you are speaking to, knows as little about the subject, and
sometimes a lot less than you do.

So whoever it was would not have clue what O.E. M. meant. The computer would
not have an explanation of those initials either, so the conversation was
bound to deteriorate.

Asking for a supervisor or manager is no help, they are probably only "Call
Centre" orientated, and know nothing about the product.

If you think the OP experience is bad, I would suggest that you never try
phoning the Bank of Scotland (HBOS) or Scottish Gas.

Roy G

Old May 11th 05, 12:44 AM
measekite

It seems like Epson UK is really Epson Anal and that is different from
Epson US who appears to take care of their customers. Anyway I told
you that the problem is mostly likely restricted to that particular
Model. But in general Epsons do have clogging problems but from the
posts I read more so with aftermarket than 3rd party inks but it does
happen with both more than other brands because of their pezio design.

Old May 11th 05, 01:03 AM
Burt

Just the facts, no nasty posts please - you don't use Epsons or third party
inks. Data from Tony who repairs these printers indicates that there are
pretty much equal clogs from OEM and non-OEM inks. Arthur Entlich, from
what I have seen in his posts, is pretty much an expert on Epsons and uses
them with both OEM and non-OEM inks. He has not reported substantially more
problems with non-OEM inks. I appreciate that you know about the two
printers you use, but I would rely on people with hands-on experience for
Epson information.

The woe of Epson (C62): Davy Printers 53 May 11th 05 06:52 PM
wanted: service manuals ricoh FutureChild Printers 14 March 30th 05 07:25 PM
Questions about printers that print on to CD's/DVD's [email protected] Printers 2 May 8th 04 08:22 PM
New Epson Ink Jet Printers and Their "Protection Counter" Santos L. Halper Printers 10 April 29th 04 01:16 AM
Why are Epson inkjets crap when used by uneducated users? devans Printers 0 April 21st 04 01:25 AM