Epson print head needs thorough cleaning

Old April 19th 05, 03:54 PM
+++Bobby \O\+++

Default Epson print head needs thorough cleaning

My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Old April 19th 05, 05:03 PM
measekite

Are you now and have you always used Epson OEM ink? If not what is the
source (label) of your ink?

Old April 19th 05, 06:02 PM
Burt

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.
Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
inks as well as with quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1)
the quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
which you print. In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
years of normal, regular use. Email Arthur Entlich and ask him for his free
informative instructions on clearing Epson head clogs. his email address is

Old April 19th 05, 06:34 PM
measekite

Burt wrote:

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.

Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks. It is
quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have print
head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of them
here.

Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
inks as well as with quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1)
the quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
which you print.

I have never read in either the Epson, Canon, or HP manual that in order
to prevent head clogs you must print and use ink frequently (what ever
that means).

Old April 19th 05, 06:54 PM
Ivor Floppy

"measekite" wrote in message
m...

Burt wrote:

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.

Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.

How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
people with printers know what Usenet is....

It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
them here.

No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party inks
NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head clean,
in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the odd minor
ink clog too.

Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks if
all they did was clog your printer up?

Old April 19th 05, 07:04 PM
+++Bobby \O\+++

I would appreciate it if you would go over this with me - since I've never
been in this group before. Thanks.........

"pete" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:54:53 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++"
wrote:

My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

It has been explained dozens if not hundreds of times in this NG

Old April 19th 05, 08:33 PM

On 19-Apr-2005, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" wrote:

My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

You may need Epson's service utility for your model.
It will have several different cleaning options,
including initial charge with a nice red "This will use a third of your ink,
are you sure?" warning. There is a black only option. It also shows
and allows setting/resetting of the counters, adjustment of head angle,
and the like. In passing you may need a DOS 6.22 machine set for
ANSI support to run it, otherwise you see masses of escape codes,
and it doesn't run. Most Epson models have service utilities.
Old April 19th 05, 09:31 PM
measekite

Ivor Floppy wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
om...

Burt wrote:

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.

Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.

How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
people with printers know what Usenet is....

I took a sample over a month and counted. It is true that most of the
people with printers do not know what Usenet is, however, the majority
use OEM inks. For if they didn't. they would not be able to use the
Gillette Razor marketing model.

It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
them here.

No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party inks
NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head clean,
in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the odd minor
ink clog too.

Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks if
all they did was clog your printer up?

The market for after market inks is relatively small when compared to
the dollars of OEM ink that is being sold.

Old April 19th 05, 10:55 PM
Ivor Floppy

"measekite" wrote in message
. ..

Ivor Floppy wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
. com...

Burt wrote:

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.

Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.

How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
people with printers know what Usenet is....

I took a sample over a month and counted. It is true that most of the
people with printers do not know what Usenet is, however, the majority use
OEM inks. For if they didn't. they would not be able to use the Gillette
Razor marketing model.

Why not? Considering that OEM inks are sometimes 10 times the price of 3rd
party inks, it only takes one in 10 buyers of a printer to use OEM inks to
sustain the market. I doubt any printer is sold at an actual loss to the
manufacturer.

It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
them here.

No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party
inks NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head
clean, in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the
odd minor ink clog too.

Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks
if all they did was clog your printer up?

The market for after market inks is relatively small when compared to the
dollars of OEM ink that is being sold.

Try geting out to a shop one of these days - here in the UK trying to find
an OEM cartridge amongst the masses of 3rd party's is like finding gold dust
in a haystack.

Epson RX600 incompatible with Linksys Wireless-G for USB2.0 print server WPS54GU2 TJ Printers 2 April 10th 04 04:34 PM
4x6 printers Kenneth Oakman Printers 8 February 29th 04 10:37 PM
Probably a stupid question (Epson head cleaning) Mark Printers 8 January 28th 04 09:43 PM
Epson head cleaning Mike Lawrence Printers 2 November 2nd 03 10:41 PM
Epson head cleaning Mike Lawrence Printers 0 November 2nd 03 08:57 PM