Ti4200 XP : Device cannot start (Code 10)?

Old October 5th 03, 05:41 AM
Joe S Slow

Default Ti4200 XP : Device cannot start (Code 10)?

I have a friend with XP Pro on a MSI KT3 Ultra with a Ti4200. I've tried
everything from deleting nv*.* in \windows\system32,
\windows\system32\drivers and in the registry (HKLM\Software\Nvidia Corp..)
but it still comes up with that error on next boot even with default
Microsoft Nvidia drivers.

Now I have had my friend build another XP in another drive to rule out any
hardware error and on that partition the XP boots up fine with no video
problems. Even ran 3dMarks 2001se just to make sure it works.

Now what gives??? There is no 'Assign IRQ to VGA' option in the bios and the
other partition with the working XP kinda rules out that scenario or any
other BIOS related scenario. Am I missing something that I should be wiping
out?

Old October 5th 03, 12:08 PM
Dark Avenger

"Joe S Slow" wrote in message .net...
I have a friend with XP Pro on a MSI KT3 Ultra with a Ti4200. I've tried
everything from deleting nv*.* in \windows\system32,
\windows\system32\drivers and in the registry (HKLM\Software\Nvidia Corp..)
but it still comes up with that error on next boot even with default
Microsoft Nvidia drivers.

Now I have had my friend build another XP in another drive to rule out any
hardware error and on that partition the XP boots up fine with no video
problems. Even ran 3dMarks 2001se just to make sure it works.

Now what gives??? There is no 'Assign IRQ to VGA' option in the bios and the
other partition with the working XP kinda rules out that scenario or any
other BIOS related scenario. Am I missing something that I should be wiping
out?

You do have left the PCI slot next to the AGP slot empty..haven't you?

Old October 5th 03, 10:04 PM
Dark Avenger

"Joe S Slow" wrote in message .net...
Yep tried that too... forgot to mention that.

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"Joe S Slow" wrote in message

.net...
[...]

It's time to play a little game then!

It's based upon a game human plays..it's like the game where the music
starts...people walk around but when the music stops everybody has to
sit in a chair..yet...there is always one chair short :-)

Now, play that game with the cards in the pci slot untill you find the
golden combination!
Old October 6th 03, 04:54 AM
Me

Use one of the Nvidia Detonator Driver removal tools to totally remove the
old drivers.

Some he - www.guru3d.com

Then install the new drivers.

. net...

Old October 7th 03, 02:24 AM
TKR

Joe S Slow wrote:
Yep tried that too... forgot to mention that.

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...

"Joe S Slow" wrote in message

.net...

[...]

Uninstall the current nvidia drivers, then install an older version. Try
a 3x.xx version. To prevent the problem from re-occuring, don't mess
with XP's Prefetch feature or delete any *.pf from the Prefetch folder.

Once you've gotten past the code 10 error, you can reinstall the current
driver version.

Old October 9th 03, 04:24 AM
Joe S Slow

Thanks for the help guys but my friend finally gave up and reinstalled XP.
The other PCI card was a network card and didn't make a difference. Didn't
try that prefetch thing though but maybe that will help somebody else with
the code 10 error! Thanks again for all the responses!

Joe S Slow wrote:
Yep tried that too... forgot to mention that.

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...

"Joe S Slow" wrote in message

.net...

[...]

Asus A7N8X-X and AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Information Scavenger Asus Motherboards 30 November 9th 04 09:30 PM
locked multipliers? Rusty Overclocking AMD Processors 10 November 8th 04 06:29 PM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Update on Athlon 2600 XP problem David Simmons Asus Motherboards 3 August 27th 04 03:52 AM
XP Code 32 Error Keyboard/Mouse *FIX* Tayra Douglas General 1 October 29th 03 07:08 PM