9800 pro + dual monitors

Old December 13th 03, 05:01 AM
StrandgecK

Default 9800 pro + dual monitors

Im trying to get dual monitors working in Windows 2000 with the ATI Radeon
9800 pro using the DVI adaptor.. at first I was getting an 'unexpected
kernel mode trap' BSOD error when I tried to boot up with the 2nd monitor
attached, then I unchecked "Alternate DVI operational mode" in the setup,
and now windows boots all the way but both monitors turn off as if they
arent receiving a signal?? and I'm pretty sure windows loads because if I
type in my password and press enter I hear the startup .wav play and the HDD
has activity.

thanks for any help

Old December 13th 03, 05:37 AM
StrandgecK

Ok I get it working using v3.4 of the drivers.. (the version on the CD that
came with the card).. is this an acceptable downgrade from 3.9?

Old December 13th 03, 06:01 AM
StrandgecK

ok.. now I can only enable directx on the 2nd monitor?? I go into dxdiag and
disable them under display 2 then go to display 1 and click enable.. but it
reenables them in display 2?!

Old December 13th 03, 01:09 PM
Ben Pope

StrandgecK wrote:
Im trying to get dual monitors working in Windows 2000 with the ATI Radeon
9800 pro using the DVI adaptor.. at first I was getting an 'unexpected
kernel mode trap' BSOD error when I tried to boot up with the 2nd monitor
attached, then I unchecked "Alternate DVI operational mode" in the setup,
and now windows boots all the way but both monitors turn off as if they
arent receiving a signal?? and I'm pretty sure windows loads because if I
type in my password and press enter I hear the startup .wav play and the
HDD has activity.

thanks for any help

I had some weird problems with the Cat drivers and did a clean reinstall
following this article and they all went away:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

Ben

Old December 13th 03, 07:09 PM
Phrederick

I had some weird problems with the Cat drivers and did a clean reinstall
following this article and they all went away:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

What's with the AD spamming? There is NOTHING on that page except some dorky
guys advertising some crap.

Old December 13th 03, 07:44 PM
Ben Pope

Phrederick wrote:
I had some weird problems with the Cat drivers and did a clean reinstall
following this article and they all went away:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

What's with the AD spamming? There is NOTHING on that page except some
dorky guys advertising some crap.

Then you must be doing something wrong.

There are ~300 "useful" (relevant?) words on that page, which is the
introduction, page 2 has ~1300 words on removing your old drivers and page 3
has ~1200 words on installing the new ones and the final page has about 750
words on tweaking and conclusion.

Page 2 is the most useful.

Ben

Old December 13th 03, 07:59 PM
Phrederick

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Phrederick wrote:
I had some weird problems with the Cat drivers and did a clean

reinstall
following this article and they all went away:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

What's with the AD spamming? There is NOTHING on that page except some
dorky guys advertising some crap.

Then you must be doing something wrong.

Went back and now it's fine... I assume it's some kind of way of generating
revenue. I'll just avoid the crap, thanks.

Old December 13th 03, 08:07 PM
Ben Pope

Phrederick wrote:
Went back and now it's fine... I assume it's some kind of way of
generating revenue.

I didn't notice the problems you mention.

I'll just avoid the crap, thanks.

Thats your prerogative.

Ben

Old December 14th 03, 03:54 AM
Phrederick

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Phrederick wrote:
Went back and now it's fine... I assume it's some kind of way of
generating revenue.

I didn't notice the problems you mention.

I'll just avoid the crap, thanks.

Thats your prerogative.

And just to let you all know, that stupid advertisement screws up your IE...
It turns on the "What's related" feature and allows Adtrix and VibrantMedia
to spy on your surfing...

The page I'm talking about is:
http://1.netshelter.adtrix.com/strea...de%26dId%3D569

....when you try and go to...

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

If you DO get to the page, you'll notice a number of links withing the text.
For example, in the text "nVidia ruled the graphics card roost" you'll
notice that "graphics card" is a link. BUT if you look at the source, this
link does not exist. It's being parsed by adware/spyware brought on by that
stupid advertising page.

Old December 14th 03, 10:04 AM
Ben Pope

Phrederick wrote:
And just to let you all know, that stupid advertisement screws up your
IE... It turns on the "What's related" feature and allows Adtrix and
VibrantMedia to spy on your surfing...

The page I'm talking about is:

http://1.netshelter.adtrix.com/strea...de%26dId%3D569

...when you try and go to...

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=569

If you DO get to the page, you'll notice a number of links withing the
text. For example, in the text "nVidia ruled the graphics card roost"
you'll notice that "graphics card" is a link. BUT if you look at the
source, this link does not exist. It's being parsed by adware/spyware
brought on by that stupid advertising page.

Well I apologise for any side effects you've experienced from visiting that
page.

Ben