Creative GigaWorks S750 (7.1 Surround Sound System) DEAD ?!?

Old April 23rd 09, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Creative GigaWorks S750 (7.1 Surround Sound System) DEAD ?!?

Hello,

The following happened:

1. I was watching a movie.

2. I decided I wanted to listen to the movie via my headset.

3. I plugged in my "Sennhesier HD 590" headphone/set while the movie was
playing. (The movie was probably playing some flies sound at the time
"bzzz").

4. The audio control pod/red led starts going on/off/on/off/on/off/on and
then off. (It seemed to have died)

I have seen this behaviour before when I plugged in the headset... the
gigaworks/pod would go to standby, this time however it seemed to
"flip/freak out" (on/off/on/off/on/off) and die.

I tried turning it on again... but no luck it seemed to have died.

Here are my thoughts on it and suggestions for future improvements:

1. First of all the design is bad. The headset/headphone should simply be
always plugged in to prevent any eletrical damage. I should be able to
select the mode while everything is plugged in. (Speakerset vs headphone).

2. Second of all the manual does not warn for this situation. No where does
it say that I should not plug in the headphone/headset while the device is
on and something is playing.

3. Warranty seems to be only 2 years which could indicate bad quality. (It
does give nice sound though)

4. The price has seemed to go up (at least on the website where I purchased
it 3 years ago ?!?)

5. I am not sure what caused the damage.

I could either be:

5.1 Bad design... the device can't handle a suddenly plug in of the
headphone/headset while something is playing.

5.2 Static discharge from the headphone/headset which is always lieing on my
wooden table.

Also there are only two pins in my wall sockets (I guess they are old wall
sockets... so they don't have a safety pin). (I am not sure if a safety pin
would have helped in this case...)

Fortunately I was able to listen/view the movie by plugging my headphone/set
into the back of the pc... so that part is still working (x-fi elite pro
soundblaster), but this does raise doubts... what if it was static discharge
from headphone/set then I could damage my pc... so I rather not to do in the
future ?

So now I am left stranded with a titanium/heavy subwoofer and speakersets
and out of warranty ?!?
(The gigaworks only has 2 years of warranty ?!? it says so on their website
today... I am not sure if they changed warranty (probably not though?))

I did read the manual just yet to see what it says about all of this... very
little though... it did mention "servicing".

So maybe it's possible to repair the subwoofer ? (Which seems to be the dead
part...)

I guess I have little choice but to open it up and see what it's all
about...

If I do so I will post pictures later on !

If you have any experience with (fixing?) dead gigaworks s750 subwoofers I
would love to hear from you !

Goodbye,
Sigh,
Skybuck

Old April 23rd 09, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I also did some googling and will continue to do so,

First a thread describing dead gigaworks s750 subwoofers:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t458456...fer_died_again

Which links towards another thread describing how to fix a blown fuse
(haven't read it yet but gonna do that now, fingers crossed ):

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ending&page=85

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 23rd 09, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I read some of the postings on that second forum what I learned from this is
the following:

1. Many people have seen their subwoofer die.

2. Somebody mentioned: the glue becomes conductive after some time.

3. Many people investigating how to repair it, and schematics available.

Sounds like a real bore trying to make sense of it.

Maybe somebody in my neighbourhood understand electronics better.

Maybe the local electronics shop or computer shop though I doubt they will
be able to fix it... but it's worth a try.

Otherwise maybe somebody else...

I am too tired to open it up right now so that will have to wait until
tomorrow or so...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 23rd 09, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Ok,

The symptoms for my gigaworks a

1. Blinking green led on the back side of the subwoofer (there is indeed a
green led back there !) (It flickers like a disco light or so... unregular
and like beating or so... (I checked just shortly ))

2. The audio/remote pod leds are all dead.

Now I have something to go on based on the experiences/postings on that
forum !

105 pages to go through on that forum !

Somebody else also confirmed the glue becomes conductive... with a meter.

Pretty ridicilious that an expensive product like this has these kinds of
problems !

Americans are known to be found for lawsuits... does this smell like a
class-action lawsuit to me ! Gje !

To bad I am European

Without lawsuits Creative would get away with it... don't let them get away
it is all I hope !

And ofcourse to hopefully get my thingy working again.

(I don't even use the subwoofer that much... all on low... no subwoofer
would have been fine with me !)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 23rd 09, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive
GMAN[_10_]

In article e.nl, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
I read some of the postings on that second forum what I learned from this is
the following:

1. Many people have seen their subwoofer die.

2. Somebody mentioned: the glue becomes conductive after some time.

3. Many people investigating how to repair it, and schematics available.

Sounds like a real bore trying to make sense of it.

Maybe somebody in my neighbourhood understand electronics better.

Maybe the local electronics shop or computer shop though I doubt they will
be able to fix it... but it's worth a try.

Otherwise maybe somebody else...

I am too tired to open it up right now so that will have to wait until
tomorrow or so...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Alot of the time, its a blown capacitor in the power supply or
regulator section of the device. For a few years back, there was a stolen
formula some company made that was used to make the capacitors that were used
in many electronics devices. They ended up exploding, bulging, oozing, etc and
needed to be replaced.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=4

http://www.independent.co.
uk/news/business/news/stolen-formula-for-capacitors-causing-computers-to-burn-
out-539299.html

I bet creative used all of that liquid nails compound to hide or cover or to
try to prevent the bulging of the capacitors or to make it near impossible to
replace them. Seeing as they put the goop only on the tops of the capacitors.
Old April 24th 09, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Ok,

I have opened the gigaworks s750 subwoofer and made some pictures of it:

http://members.home.nl/hbthoupperman...aWorksS750.htm

1. Some glue was against the edges so I had to force it a little... then it
came loose.

2. Lot's of glue everywhere will be difficult to take apart.

3. It seems like a 3 dimensional electronics puzzle ?!

I am not sure if I would ever be able to get it together again if I take it
apart so care should be taken and everything well documented.

I am already amazed that apperently so people made sense of this 3d
electronics glue mess and were actually able to repair it ? Sounds to good
to be true to me

I doubt I will ever be able to repair it or figure out what's wrong with
it... though I will give it a shot.. by seeking some help on that forum.

One thing is for su

I will never again by anything that says: "made in china" on it !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 24th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Ok,

Now I am trying to asses the damage.

First question is:

1. Is the fuse blown ? Is this the fuse ? How to open it ?

Pictures of probably the fuse:

Old April 24th 09, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I also checked my suppliers warranty/contractual information.

It contains a somewhat interesting section in dutch which goes something
like this:

"In case it turns out that the product had flaws from the start the supplier
obligates itself to replace/repair it etc."

Seeing all the glue and other issue's with the gigaworks s750 this could be
the case...

However later on it says up to 6 months... I am not sure if that relates to
that point.

But it's worth a shot to contact the supplier... tell him about problems and
such and see what he has to say

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 24th 09, 05:04 AM posted to alt.audio.equipment,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.nl.audio.hifi,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Further questions a

What is responsible for the beautifull sound ?

Possible answers:

1. The electronics coordinating the 7.1 surround sound.

or

2. The speakers themselfes.

Or

3. A combination of 1 and 2.

Suppose the electronics themselfes have little to do with the end result...
and it's just there as a gateway then maybe replacing the electronics by
another product might be possible. I saw somebody else mention such a
solution... he bought some kind of sony product. I examined the back plugs
of a similiar sony product... it didn't seem a good fit.

The problem I am most worried about if ofcourse "connectibility".

I need to connect the x-fi elite soundblaster to some intermediate product
which ultimately connects the speakers and possibly subwoofer.

So far the outputs of the x-fi elite soundblaster are a yellow cable, a
green cable and a black cable.

(There is also a big wide plug... but that's for the breakout box and
probably has nothing to do with it)

(But maybe the breakout box can communicate with the gigaworks... but I
think not... it's probably some volume control inside windows itself.)

So my questions to you are (especially x-fi elite pro owners, especially
those with dead gigaworks):

1. What surround sound systems are there out there that will connect to an
x-fi elite pro soundblaster... and have good electronics design instead of
the crap that creative sells, and will connect the speakers of the
gigaworks... (I assume pretty standard surround sound
cables/connectors/connections ?

2. Is it possible to disconnect the subwoofer from the crappy gigaworks s750
electronics and attached it to a proper surround sound system ? What kind of
plug/connectors would be needed ?!?

Pretty complex questions

Also it shouldn't be too expensive... I payed 320 euro's for a gigaworks
s750 which is now dead.

I have a question about that too.... what is the most expensive part of the
gigaworks ?

Possible answers:

1. The speakers and the subwoofer

or

2. The electronics ?!?

I saw sony selling some kind of electronics for 400 bucks... excluding
speakers ?!?

Confusing ?!?

For those that missed the other threads here some links:

First a thread describing dead gigaworks s750 subwoofers:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t458456...fer_died_again

Which links towards another thread describing how to fix a blown fuse

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ending&page=85

My website examining it:

http://members.home.nl/hbthoupperman...aWorksS750.htm

Trying to make sense of the fuse:

http://members.home.nl/hbthoupperman...aworksS750.htm

Google newsgroup link:

http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.co...f2dfa74?hl=en#

Bye,
Skybuck.

.home.nl...

Old April 24th 09, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Another dutchman with a dead GigaWorks S750 wrote something interesting:

In the Netherlands there are laws about the lifetime of a product.

Consumers can expect certain products to have a certain lifetime.

If the products fails before that then they could still fall under warranty.

Interesting...

Personally my expectation for a speakerset would be 10 to unlimited years.
Since I have never had a broken television or a broken stereo or a broken
speakerset or whatever and those were even cheaper than this one.

Bye,
Skybuck.