OK to use inkjet paper in a laser printer?

Old April 4th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
John D[_3_]

Default OK to use inkjet paper in a laser printer?

I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.
Old April 4th 08, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"John D" wrote in message
I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.

Not all "inkjet paper" is coated, but those that do have coating definitely
should not be used in a laser.

Old April 4th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
kony

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:59:52 +0100, John D
wrote:

I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.

IF it is coated and IF that coating is heat sensitive you
shouldn't use it. However, that would not cause "too much
toner". If the toner does not adhere well to the paper then
it might end up with a smeared or otherwise poor result but
it wouldn't necessarily be too much toner, only that what
toner there was didn't stay where it was supposed to.

If there is actually too much coming out of the cartridge
and getting onto the paper it might be that (often clear
plastic adhesive backed) a strip on the cartridge has come
loose. Since that gets toner on the adhesive area once
loose, it is not something you could fix yourself (unless
you had a cartridge rebuild kit and completely cleaned it
all which is a mess) IF that is the problem.

Try plain copy machine paper, it's easy to find and costs
less, then you'll know if paper made the difference.
Old April 4th 08, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

John D wrote:
I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.

Unless the paper wrapper says that it is suitable for Lasers or Copiers then
you should not use it. Nowadays a lot of inkjet paper is in fact coated and the
coating will probably damage the fuser in a laser printer.
If the drum has a lot of toner on it when you remove it from the printer then
the most likely cause is a failed wiper blade in the drum unit depending on the
printer model. Which model is the printer?
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 4th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2008-04-04, John D wrote:
I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are you by any chance using refilled and/or compatible high capacity
cartridges? Your toner cartridge when new incorporates an empty
chamber for clearing surplus toner away. When that has filled up
obviously it is unable to continue to do this.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Old April 5th 08, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
kony

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:46:03 -0500, Tony
wrote:

John D wrote:
I have a desktop laser printer which seems to get to much toner on the
copy-drum. I don't know why this happens to me and nor does the
engineer.

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.

Unless the paper wrapper says that it is suitable for Lasers or Copiers then
you should not use it. Nowadays a lot of inkjet paper is in fact coated and the
coating will probably damage the fuser in a laser printer.

Actually, the properties that make a coated paper desirable
for inkjet use is the degree to which it absorbs ink, and
the gloss. It doesn't have to have a low melting point to
achieve this and most don't have a low melting point.

I regularly put coated inkjet paper through a couple of
laser printers I have, specifically it's semi-gloss photo
paper as this type has reasonable toner adherance but most
importantly for my needs, this type of paper delaminates
when soaked in a detergent solution (I use it to make PCB
etching patterns using the toner transfer method, in fact
many many people do so with coated inkjet paper in laser
printers without any problem, no damage to the fuser BUT
that is no guarantee some other type of paper-like medium
wouldn't cause problems).

Old April 5th 08, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

In general, paper designed specifically for inkjet printers should NOT
be used in laser printers, because the paper is heated to quite a high
temperature in a laser printer, and most inkjet printers do not heat the
paper at all, or use very low temperatures (just to dry the ink a bit
quicker).

Most standard bond paper will indicate it can be used for both inkjet
and laser paper. Some paper may have a finished surface to provide a
better image than laser bond paper, and those may indicate inkjet and
laser use.

The problem is with paper that is designated for inkjet use
specifically. It probably has a special coating on it. The glossy and
semi-gloss types usually have some plastic or gelatin coating which may
melt under the heat of a laser fuser. However, even if they do not
melt, the may not react properly with laser technology. Some coated
matte papers designed for inkjets may be safe for laser printers, but
again, it is likely more costly than the equivalent laser version.

In general, it is best not to use papers designed for inkjet use in a
laser printer, unless they indicate they are safe for both technologies.
Further, in general, inkjet papers are much more costly than similar
types of laser printer papers. For instance, a glossy laser paper may
cost 10 to 20 cents, a similar glossy inkjet paper will cost 50 cents to
$1.50.

Art

Old April 5th 08, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Although inkjet printers have developed more refined inks and heads
which produce a more presentable result on uncoated paper, all "fine
art" and photographic quality papers for inkjets are still indeed
coated, or have chemistry incorporated within them for controlling dot
gain, and proper ink distribution to get the dynamic range required.

Yes, there are a lot of uncoated papers available for inkjet use, but
they are almost all a compromise of quality over the coated papers.

Art

Mike Walsh wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:59:52 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers John D
wrote:

Are any ill effects caused by using "inkjet paper" in a laser printer.

ISTR inkjet paper has an extra coating on it. I wonder if inkjet paper
does not work quite right with the toner technology in a laser
printer/copier.

Yes, the coating on inkjet papers are not formulated to take the heat
of the fusing process in a laser printer. The worst case scenario is
the coating melts and adheres to the hot fuser assembly.

Most ink jet printer paper is not coated. Coated paper was necessary for older printers printing at high resolution. E.g. my old Epson Stylus 500 printer had nozzles much larger than current printers and put out so much ink at 720 dpi that coated paper was needed. The coated paper is much more expensive than uncoated paper and it is unlikely that your paper is coated unless you intentionally paid the high price to get it.

Old April 5th 08, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

The risks are hard to reduce unless you specifically mention the exact
paper type you use and have reasonable results with. One sheet of the
wrong paper can make for a very costly repair on the laser printer.

Many inkjet papers, especially glossy ones, have one or more
non-absorption layers, which may be a low melting point plastic. As you
say, others are safe, but only with specific knowledge is it safe to
make a broad statement.

Art