Video RAM limited to 512MB by system?

Old December 26th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Video RAM limited to 512MB by system?

Hi everyone,

I own a Dell Precision 380 and I'm thinking of upgrading to a BFG
8800GTS OC 640MB video card. However, on the Dell spec sheet for the
computer, it reads:

"Graphics ... Support for ISV-certified PCI Express graphics cards up
to 150 watts and *with up to 512MB graphics memory* including: nVIDIA
Quadro FX 4500; etc. ..."

Just wondering if my video RAM is somehow limited by my hardware/
software, or if the spec sheet actually means "with video cards
available up to 512MB."

Computer specs:
- Pentium D 940 Presler 3.2GHz
- Intel 955X chipset
- 2GB DDR2 533MHz
- Vista Business x64

Thanks.

-Dan
Old December 26th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

I do not beleive that you are really limited to 512 MB of video RAM.
HOWEVER it sounds like you may be limited in your choice of video card model
by the limited size of the PSU that Dell provided the system with. Typical
of them.

--
--DaveW