switch IDE to AHCI with Windows XP?

Old July 16th 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Doug Kent

Default switch IDE to AHCI with Windows XP?

Hi, wondering if anyone knows:

I want to tell my BIOS to run my SATA hard drive in AHCI mode instead of
Standard IDE mode. But when I do that, Windows XP no longer boots up (it
spontaneously reboots instead).

I'm wondering whether there is a way to do this without reinstalling Windows
XP, and all my other software, on that hard drive.

Thanks for any suggestions, one way or the other.

If it helps, I have an ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe motherboard.

Old July 16th 06, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
[email protected]

Doug Kent wrote:
Hi, wondering if anyone knows:

I want to tell my BIOS to run my SATA hard drive in AHCI mode instead of
Standard IDE mode. But when I do that, Windows XP no longer boots up (it
spontaneously reboots instead).

Disable "Automaticly restart"

Winkey+pause-advanced-startup and recovery-Automaticly restart
This will at least let you see the BSOD.

I'm wondering whether there is a way to do this without reinstalling Windows
XP, and all my other software, on that hard drive.

Repair install would probably work. (Make a backup just in case)

Thanks for any suggestions, one way or the other.

If it helps, I have an ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe motherboard.

Old July 17th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Paul

In article , "Doug Kent"
wrote:

Hi, wondering if anyone knows:

I want to tell my BIOS to run my SATA hard drive in AHCI mode instead of
Standard IDE mode. But when I do that, Windows XP no longer boots up (it
spontaneously reboots instead).

I'm wondering whether there is a way to do this without reinstalling Windows
XP, and all my other software, on that hard drive.

Thanks for any suggestions, one way or the other.

If it helps, I have an ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe motherboard.

http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq_r...Language=en-us

"Question

After I installed the OS, I configured my SATA as "AHCI" in
IDE Configuration under Main in BIOS. Then my computer cannot
get into the OS. What is wrong?

Answer

Congiure SATA as AHCI can turn on SATA's advanced features.
However, your SATA HDD must support AHCI. Please ask your HDD
manufacturer to determine whether your SATA HDD supports AHCI.

If you installed your OS with your SATA configured as Standard IDE,
you will not be able to get into OS if SATA HDD is re-configured
as AHCI in BIOS.

You must install your OS with your SATA HDD configured as AHCI.
Your computer will*be able to resume normal operation by
changing SATA configuration back to Standard IDE mode in BIOS."

Based on that, it sounds like a repair install, with an F6 driver
install of an AHCI compatible driver, might fix it.

Paul
Old July 17th 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Doug Kent

Thanks for that, I had actually already seen it, but was fishing for a
second opinion. What I'm wondering now is whether a repair install of
windows xp would do it, or whether it requires a completely new
installation.

Other folks kindly responding to this thread are suggesting that a new
installation is likely required.

Old July 17th 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Folkert Rienstra

"Doug Kent" wrote in message
Thanks for that, I had actually already seen it, but was fishing for a
second opinion. What I'm wondering now is whether a repair install of
windows xp would do it, or whether it requires a completely new installation.

Other folks

kindly

Those you need to watch out for.

responding to this thread are suggesting that a new installation is likely required.

Old July 17th 06, 01:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Folkert Rienstra

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Doug Kent"
wrote:

[...]

Someone mangled that very incomprehensibly.

Old July 17th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Eric Gisin

They are blithering idiots. A drive cannot be AHCI.

Did you install Intel's driver?

"Paul" wrote in message ...
[...]

Old July 18th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Doug Kent

OK, I found I was able to do an "F6" Windows XP reinstall (note the "re" on
the front of that!) and convert the drive to RAID (Intel Matrix Storage
Technology).

RAID is where I was headed via AHCI anyways, but I found I could go straight
to RAID without messing with ACHI.

Still several hours of work, but a heck of a lot better than reinstalling
all my applications.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Old July 20th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
Doug Kent

I should probably be clear that when I said "reinstall" I meant "repair
install", and *not* using the recovery console.