Another anti Canon rant

Old June 23rd 05, 03:59 PM
Burt

OR --- even a broken clock is right twice a day.
"Irwin Peckinloomer" wrote in message
.. .
In article u1hue.163$go.37@fed1read05, says...
measekite wrote:
I think the i9900 is the best wide format value out there.

Oh...so you've got one right?
Frank

Even a parrot is right sometimes.

Old June 23rd 05, 05:24 PM
measekite

Is you nose brown from **** from sticking is all of the up Frankie
Crankie's dumb ASSHOLE. Did you see his brain when your nose was up their?

Burt wrote:

OR --- even a broken clock is right twice a day.
. ..

Old June 23rd 05, 06:20 PM
Frank

measekite wrote:
Is you nose brown from **** from sticking is all of the up Frankie
Crankie's dumb ASSHOLE. Did you see his brain when your nose was up their?

English? I don't think so!
Frank
Old June 24th 05, 05:06 AM
Gary Eickmeier

frederick wrote:

If you want quality prints for display on fine art papers or other matte
media then the i9950 is out of the equation entirely. If you want gloss
colour photos of flowers, then the 9950 is very nice. On the contentious
dye vs pigment arguments, then I think Canon have answered the question
themselves by releasing pigment ink based wide format pro printers.
Best value must take a user's needs into account.

Canon has pigment printers? Which ones? My 8500 uses the same inks as
the 9900 (and the i950), and I am not aware that they are pigment based.

Gary Eickmeier
Old June 24th 05, 08:09 AM
John Henderson

measekite wrote:

The only reason that I can see for getting a pigmented ink
printer is if you intend to sell your print.

Or print envelopes that have a chance of being readable after
getting wet.

John
Old June 24th 05, 10:57 AM
frederick

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

frederick wrote:

If you want quality prints for display on fine art papers or other
matte media then the i9950 is out of the equation entirely. If you
want gloss colour photos of flowers, then the 9950 is very nice. On
the contentious dye vs pigment arguments, then I think Canon have
answered the question themselves by releasing pigment ink based wide
format pro printers.
Best value must take a user's needs into account.

Canon has pigment printers? Which ones? My 8500 uses the same inks as
the 9900 (and the i950), and I am not aware that they are pigment based.

Gary Eickmeier

"The W8200 is a crowning achievement in wide format printing. Capable of
printing 44 inches by 18 metres it is available in either a dye or
pigment ink version. This means for the first time you have unrivalled
colour reproduction that will last."

Quoted from a Canon press release:
http://www.canon.co.nz/business/prod...story_835.html
(Don't expect to be able to buy one for home use unless you are prepared
to spend a lot)

Now the question is if as Canon say that they now have unrivalled colour
reproduction that will last, then what about their claims for their
consumer dye based inkjets?

The closest I have seen to a real life test for Canon Dye ink (for their
current BCI-6 ink set longevity was published by "PC Pro" and the result
of exposed and behind glass comparisons over only a few months was:
"Canon's photos simply don't last very long. The level of fade is
substantially higher than seen elsewhere and being sealed in a photo
frame did little to help. This was even the case for ink/paper
combinations using its best PR-101 paper and is enough alone to steer
people right away from Canon's top-end photo printers. Uniquely, using
Ilford and even HP's top papers seemed to improve fade resistance (as
well as reduce cost)."
and:
"Epson's R800 is a clear winner due to its overall performance with a
variety of papers, not just the manufacturer's recommended options. It's
impressive enough that ink didn't fade at all (naked or behind glass) on
Epson's Premium Glossy Photo Paper, but it didn't fade on anyone else's
paper either."
("PC Pro", Issue 124)

OK - a few months doesn't mean that they will last 3 years - but they
last a hell of lot longer than Canon prints.

Heh - and a Canon rep told me that their iP9950 on PR 101 paper had 100
year archival properties...
Old June 24th 05, 11:47 AM
zakezuke

Heh - and a Canon rep told me that their iP9950 on PR 101 paper had 100
year archival properties...

Are you talking about the army of Canon reps that are hitting the blogs
and message boards? Found one that's really pushing the Chromalife100
or some such this is reported to be stock on the pixus ip9910.

Old June 24th 05, 11:01 PM
measekite

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

frederick wrote:

If you want quality prints for display on fine art papers or other
matte media then the i9950 is out of the equation entirely. If you
want gloss colour photos of flowers, then the 9950 is very nice. On
the contentious dye vs pigment arguments, then I think Canon have
answered the question themselves by releasing pigment ink based wide
format pro printers.
Best value must take a user's needs into account.

Canon has pigment printers? Which ones? My 8500 uses the same inks as
the 9900 (and the i950), and I am not aware that they are pigment based.

Gary Eickmeier

You are totally incorrect. The ip8500 and the i9900 do NOT use
pigmented inks. Pigmented black used on plain paper are included with
the IP4000/5000 Pixma Canon printers.
Old June 24th 05, 11:08 PM
measekite

John Henderson wrote:

measekite wrote:

The only reason that I can see for getting a pigmented ink
printer is if you intend to sell your print.

Or print envelopes that have a chance of being readable after
getting wet.

John

You are TOTALLY INCORRECT. Look at my words - "PIGMENTED PRINTER"

I have a Canon IP4000 dye based printer. It does have an extra black
pigmented cartridge that is used when plain paper is selected. This is
what you can use to print envelopes with.

The Epson R800/1800 is considered to be a pigmented printer. It does
not use dye inks at all.
Old June 24th 05, 11:53 PM
Burt

"measekite" wrote in message
m...

John Henderson wrote:

measekite wrote:

The only reason that I can see for getting a pigmented ink
printer is if you intend to sell your print.

Or print envelopes that have a chance of being readable after
getting wet.

John

You are TOTALLY INCORRECT. Look at my words - "PIGMENTED PRINTER"

I have a Canon IP4000 dye based printer. It does have an extra black
pigmented cartridge that is used when plain paper is selected. This is
what you can use to print envelopes with.

Unless you want to print envelopes with color ink, in which case John
Henderson is absolutely correct and :"you are TOTALLY INCORRECT" (direct
Measekite quote.)

A more temperate suggestion from you would be - I have a Canon IP4000 dye
based printer. It does have an extra black pigmented cartridge that is
used when plain paper is selected. This is what you can use to print
envelopes with IF YOU WISH TO PRINT THEM IN BLACK INK. You change my
messages in an effort to make me look stupid. Since you regard me as the
Holy One, perhaps I should change your messages to correct your errors and
mean-spirited statements so you won't look so supid and opinionated.

You could have left out the TOTALLY INCORRECT reference on two counts: 1)
no need to criticize or chastise someone who is trying to help the OP and 2)
you were partially in error yourself. Many people buy Epson printers
because they have read evaluations of dye vs. pigmented inks and just want
their prints to last as long as possible. These printers are not only
people who wish to sell their prints.

The Epson R800/1800 is considered to be a pigmented printer. It does not
use dye inks at all.

The Epson R800/1800 is not "considered to be a pigmented printer," it IS a
pigmented printer.