"omega or cat" with rage 3d?

Old November 25th 03, 06:44 AM
Milo Malhame

Default "omega or cat" with rage 3d?

Hi all,
I Recently purchased a 9800 non pro by Sapphire and was wondering what is
the best combo for overclocking this card? I currently have the 3.9 cat's
and Rage 3d for overclocking. Rage detects my non pro card as a 9800 pro but
shows the default clock speeds as 328x290. I have overclocked to 380x340
(stock pro speeds) and all runs stable as long as I do not use AA or AS
filtering. If I do use 4xaa and 6xaf and run a bench mark like Aqua Mark3 I
get past the first test and then all hell breaks loose and the screen
disintegrates big time. Also the ATI Gargoyle demo runs for 3 or 4 minutes
then it also disintegrates. Is that normal or might I have better luck with
the "Omega" drivers? I checked the video card and it has 128 megs of
Infineon ram.
Rest of system is Win xp pro, Athlon 2800 Barton, K7N2 Delta nforce2 mobo,
OCZ 2 x 256 dual channel pc 3200 ram, etc...
Card benchmarks 38,000 on aqua mark3 and 3500 on 3dmark 2003 when
overclocked to pro speed and no aa or as.
Is that about normal for this system?.
Opinions please.
Cheers
Milo

Old November 25th 03, 07:13 PM
Pluvious

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:44:32 GMT, "Milo Malhame" wrote:

[...]

Read up on the Omegas at www.omegacorner.com and you'll see that he includes
many little programs with his drivers. One being a overclock feature. Oh and
those benchmarks?.. forget about them. Use your games as indication of how
things are running. IMHO.

Pluvious

Old November 25th 03, 10:02 PM
John Hall

I bought the same card last summer. I used the Omega drivers to overclock
the card and test my results. I soon discovered that my 9800 non pro would
run at pro speeds with no stability problems, so I flashed the bios and made
it a pro. Install the Omega drivers, overclock your card bit by bit and
test it with the Artifact Tester that's included with the Omega drivers. If
you find that your card runs at pro speeds reliably, you may want to
consider flashing the bios and making it a pro.

JK