Restore XP to ME for resale of my computer.

Old July 18th 03, 03:15 PM
Leer

Default Restore XP to ME for resale of my computer.

Greetings,

My Gateway Performance 1400 PC came with ME.

I installed a full retail version (not an upgrade version) of Windows XP on
the computer. I would like to sell my computer with the original ME
operating system on it. In other words I would like to sell my computer with
all of the original software installed from Gateway.

Here is my question.

Can I restore my computer to its original state with the restore disks that
came with my computer now that a full version of Windows XP has been
installed with a "clean install"?

Then, if I can is there other steps I need to do to install the original
software with the restore disks besides putting the restore disk in the CD
and installing the software. In other words, will this processes be more
complicated than just installing with the restore disks?

Thanks you in for your considerations and answers as to how this can be
completed.

Lee

Old July 18th 03, 04:41 PM
Ben Myers

As long as you still have Microsoft's Certificate of Authenticaltion sticker for
Windows ME, you should be able to put the computer back in its original state
with the Gateway-supplied restore CDs (assuming they contain a copy of ME, like
most manufacturer restore CDs for ME). First, reformat the hard drive to clean
off all the remains of XP, then restore.

Last step is to go through the Microsoft-mandated authentication/registration
rigomarole when you finally get around to using XP again on another computer...
Ben Myers

Old July 18th 03, 04:44 PM
Tweek

Boot to disc two of the installation kit. If your XP installation is an NTFS
partition the windows me installer will only give the option to format the
drive and install ME. Once it is done installing it will ask for disc one
and disk three while in windows to finish the installation. Once that is all
done, put in disc one again and install any drivers that the automated
process didn't. Do the same with disc three for minor applications.

.. .

Old July 18th 03, 04:46 PM
Albertv

Leer wrote:
[...]

Best way is to download GWSCAN from Gateway support website and Zero-out
the HD. Than use the restore disk and re-install ME and any other apps
that came with the PC. So none of your data is recoverable from the Hard
drive.

Regards,

Albertv

Old July 18th 03, 04:54 PM
Albertv

Albertv wrote:

Leer wrote:

[...]

The wipe program GWSCAN should be on the restore disk.

Albertv

Old July 18th 03, 05:48 PM
Rocket

If you plan to do a "clean" install for sale, you should wipe the HD with a
utility like Autoclave03 first. If you don't, anyone in the know could
recover your personal data from the drive.
http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/
--
Rocket

.. .

Old July 18th 03, 10:32 PM
Leer

Greetings,

Thank you to all who have responded to my post. You have been very helpful.

Lee

.. .