I would choose Nvidia 6800 over Ati X800

Old May 7th 04, 07:54 PM
Pluvious

On Thu, 6 May 2004 17:53:57 -0400, "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

||When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
||card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
||stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?
||It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
||crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI video
||cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze the
||operating system.
||On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
||the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
||X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
||video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

You are misinformed.

Pluvious

Old May 8th 04, 01:42 PM
Ryan Atici

This is the most unintelligent, weakly thought out, and clout lacking,
NVIDIA fanboy 6800 vs X800 post I've read all week. Enough to make my
stomach turn.

Don't be upset because I am telling the truth. It took so long for ATI
people to finally realize and say "sorry our video card drivers caused all
the problems all along and we finally have a better driver now but even that
is not good enough to save your computer from occasionally crashing."

There is always something weird in a problematic way with ATI. Even if your
computer doesn't occasionally crash, the text in your computer looks kind of
weird and fuzzy because of some unknown driver problem with ATI or some
****.

Take your desperate, school-yard trash-talking somewhere else.... and do a
little research before you open your mouth next time.

It sounds like you can't take constructive criticism. Grow up!

--
Ryan Atici

To send email, remove _osmanli

Old May 8th 04, 02:11 PM
Ryan Atici

I guess I did have some more to say hehe,
Funny thing is most of all the reviews show the 2 cards pretty even but

with
high rez n AA/AF the ATI cards are beating out the 6800. Heck, the darn

x800
pro (not even the top card which is the PE) is matching the 6800 or coming
close to it for some tests so I don't know where you got your:

"NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI X800"

From reviews. Even though ATI has a faster GPU, that is not enough to give
any advantage over Nvidia 6800.

As for crashes that sounds like you just do crappy system maintenence. When
I got my 9800 I tossed out the 5600 fx, thru new card in installed drivers
and so far have not had 1 lock up or game crash going as far back as the
3.7's catalyst drivers. I actually can even play alot of my games at 1600 x
1200 with 2-4x AA and 8x AF without much of a prob and thats a poor ole

9800
pro.

At 1600 X 1200, ATI pulls insignificantly ahead on some games with more
frame rates whereas Nvidia comes outs as a winner 95 percent of the time at
any other resolution frame rates.

+'s for ATI
. Low pwr consumption (no need to buy a new 480 watt PS
. Single slot solution

I wouldn't buy it even if ATI had some hocus-pocus (magical power) to float
the card in the air above the slot.

. Decent driver support (contrary to some like Ryan's opinion)

Please.!?! A bit more decent compared to their awful driver causing crash
all the time. At this with their new drive, there is nothing more than
occasional not to mention the text appearing fuzzy in your computer for some
unknown reason.

. IQ, it can be debated but my personal opinion is ATI's better (YMMV)

Give me a break!

. Really burns thru games out today

You mean "turtles" at other resolution frame rates compared to Nvidia 6800
performance.

. SRP for the pro which can get close to if not match the 6800 is $399,

$499
is for the Top card that kicks NV's butt

That's what you think.

-'s for Nvidia
. Is not a single slot solution
. Will require many to buy a new expensive PSupply to handle the 480 ps
recommendation of Nvidia

After paying $500 for a video card, I think you can come up with $150 to get
a decent power supply which is the most important investment so that you can
save your computer from frying every single component inside.

Old May 8th 04, 02:37 PM
Ryan Atici

Perhaps, if your operating system crashes all the time, you have more
problems than your aware of?

It occasionally crashes with ATI cards. When the ATI card is removed,
everything back to normal.

I personally like having a crash free system..

Then ATI is a bad choice.

Old May 8th 04, 03:27 PM
Ben Pope

Ryan Atici wrote:
I guess I did have some more to say hehe,
Funny thing is most of all the reviews show the 2 cards pretty even but
with high rez n AA/AF the ATI cards are beating out the 6800. Heck, the
darn x800 pro (not even the top card which is the PE) is matching the
6800 or coming close to it for some tests so I don't know where you got
your:

"NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI X800"

From reviews. Even though ATI has a faster GPU, that is not enough to give
any advantage over Nvidia 6800.

Not so. I guess it depends which reviews you read.

I find Anandtech to be objective and tend to check there first.

As for crashes that sounds like you just do crappy system maintenance.
When I got my 9800 I tossed out the 5600 fx, thru new card in installed
drivers and so far have not had 1 lock up or game crash going as far
back as the
3.7's catalyst drivers. I actually can even play alot of my games at
1600 x 1200 with 2-4x AA and 8x AF without much of a prob and thats a
poor ole 9800 pro.

At 1600 X 1200, ATI pulls insignificantly ahead on some games with more
frame rates whereas Nvidia comes outs as a winner 95 percent of the time
at any other resolution frame rates.

Thats a high percentage, given that in actual fact, they are quite evenly
matched, with the ATI pulling out in front a bit. From the reviews I read,
it seems that the X800 beats the 6800 in more tests, and by bigger margins
than when the 6800 beats the X800. It really does depend on what tests you
do.

. Decent driver support (contrary to some like Ryan's opinion)

Please.!?! A bit more decent compared to their awful driver causing crash
all the time. At this with their new drive, there is nothing more than
occasional not to mention the text appearing fuzzy in your computer for
some unknown reason.

Well I have a 9800 Pro, I'm running 1600x1200@85Hz on a Sony G400 and the
text is pretty damn sharp. My machine almost never crashes - the few times
that a game I wanted to play has had issues with the drivers, there has
generally been a driver update addressing the situation before I purchase
the game.

If you have a crap monitor, or are unable to set your machine up properly,
that is hardly the fault of ATIs driver team.

Do you really want to start a discussion about image quality on nVidia vs
ATI?

"NVIDIA: The Way It's Meant to be Played. But with some modifications to
the image rendering to address the poor pixel shader implementationT."

At least nVidia have addressed that problem with the 6800, perhaps they
won't need to alter the pixel shader code in your favourite benchmark,
altering the image significantly, in order to get decent benchmark results.

Incidentally, does anybody know if 2x AA works properly on the 6800? I seem
to recall that it did almost nothing on the previous FX cards, and that 4x
AA was comparable to 2x AA on an ATI.

. IQ, it can be debated but my personal opinion is ATI's better (YMMV)

Give me a break!

Give each other a break. Or, don't... this is a discussion. Opinions are
valid, but only opinions, if you back your opinions up with numbers, then
you have an argument hinged on fact.

. Really burns thru games out today

You mean "turtles" at other resolution frame rates compared to Nvidia 6800
performance.

What has blinded you?

If you have a top of the range card, then you likely have a top of the range
PC. I run most games (except maybe far cry) at 1600x1200, with 2x AA and it
flies along. Hence high resolutions with AA and AF are relevant, more
relevant than lower resolutions without AA or AF, where the nVidia cards
seem to get close to the ATI cards. I don't really feel like playing a game
at 150fps at low res, when I can do 50fps at high res with eye candy.

. SRP for the pro which can get close to if not match the 6800 is $399,
$499 is for the Top card that kicks NV's butt

That's what you think.

Thats what the numbers show.

-'s for Nvidia
. Is not a single slot solution
. Will require many to buy a new expensive PSupply to handle the 480 ps
recommendation of Nvidia

After paying $500 for a video card, I think you can come up with $150 to
get a decent power supply which is the most important investment so that
you can save your computer from frying every single component inside.

PSUs aren't really the issue are they? Or should we mention that a P2/300
isn't going to do the job, that 128MBs of RAM isn't going to help, etc. etc.

Ben

Old May 8th 04, 04:40 PM
bp

On Sat, 8 May 2004 08:42:15 -0400, "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

This is the most unintelligent, weakly thought out, and clout lacking,
NVIDIA fanboy 6800 vs X800 post I've read all week. Enough to make my
stomach turn.

Don't be upset because I am telling the truth.

No you aren't

It took so long for ATI
people to finally realize and say "sorry our video card drivers caused all
the problems all along and we finally have a better driver now but even that
is not good enough to save your computer from occasionally crashing."

Is this a made up conversion only you hear in you head?

ATI hasn't had driver problems for several years now. Educate
yourself.

There is always something weird in a problematic way with ATI. Even if your
computer doesn't occasionally crash, the text in your computer looks kind of
weird and fuzzy because of some unknown driver problem with ATI or some
****.

SO you want everyone to believe that even if you don't have trouble
with ATI they still have trouble.

BTW I have ATI for 2 years now and my text isn't fuzzy and my system
is stable even over clocked.

Take your desperate, school-yard trash-talking somewhere else.... and do a
little research before you open your mouth next time.

Ditto

It sounds like you can't take constructive criticism. Grow up!

Sounds like you don't know what constructive criticism is, fan boy.

Old May 8th 04, 04:48 PM
bp

wrote:

When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI video
cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze the
operating system.

On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any
NVIDIA video card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an NVIDIA video
card and not having stable operating system because of flaws in the
video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the NVIDIA video cards are as reliable
and crash-free as the ATI video cards. Because of driver problems,
NVIDIA video cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, NVIDIA
video cards freeze the operating system.

On the other hand, ATI CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just
read the recent benchmarks. ATI x800 performs better in many games
than NVIDIA 68000. I would definitely get ATI X800 rather than paying
$500 for an NVIDIA 6800video card and having my operating system crash
all the time.

Two can play this game.
ITS EASY !!!
Old May 8th 04, 05:45 PM
anonymous

wrote:

On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

I wouldn't pay $500 for a video card. By the time the card gets down
to $200, the drivers should work fine.

Old May 8th 04, 06:30 PM
somnambulist

"Ryan Atici" wrote in message
Perhaps, if your operating system crashes all the time, you have more
problems than your aware of?

It occasionally crashes with ATI cards. When the ATI card is removed,
everything back to normal.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about do you?

I personally like having a crash free system..

Then ATI is a bad choice.

No fanboy, letting you use a computer - unsupervised - was a bad choice.

Now go back to your room like a good little boy, and don't be tempted to
switch on the scary machine about which you don't have a clue what to do
with.

--
somnambulist