Nvidia FX 5900 problem with unified driver v71.04

Old March 29th 05, 03:20 AM
Larry

Default Nvidia FX 5900 problem with unified driver v71.04

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me with this. I have a FX 5900
card with 256MB RAM that is connected to my TV via an S-Video cable. My
OS is Windows Media Center 2004. When I run the card under driver
version v6.14.10.4404, I have no problem displaying the desktop or
video in color. As soon as I upgrade to the latest nVidia driver
(v71.04), I get a black and white picture with black borders all around
the screen on the TV.

I searched the nVidea FAQ, and the only thing that I saw about a "black
and white" picture said to go into the advanced display properties and
make sure that the signal settings are correct. I did that, and it is
set for M/NTSC, which is correct for the U.S.. The "video output
format" is set to "Auto select". I changed the cable select
specifically to S-Video, but there was no change when I rebooted. The
only other thing the FAQ suggested was to make sure that the S-Video
cable was less than 12 feet long. Mine is only 6 feet, and besides, it
used to work fine before the update.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? If you need any more
info, please ask.

Thanks!

Larry

Old March 29th 05, 03:25 PM
Pat

Why not just go back to the old driver? You said it worked fine. Is there a
reason you switched drivers in the first place? I'd guess what's wrong is
that you're using a driver that's optimised for the newer cards.

oups.com...

Old March 29th 05, 03:35 PM
Larry

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I wanted to move to the new driver is
because I wanted to make sure that my video driver was DirectX 9
compatible in order to play some of the newer games. I don't think the
driver I currently am using is.

Larry

Old March 29th 05, 04:20 PM
Spack

Larry wrote on 29 Mar 2005 06:35:51 -0800:

Thanks for the reply. The reason I wanted to move to the new driver is
because I wanted to make sure that my video driver was DirectX 9
compatible in order to play some of the newer games. I don't think the
driver I currently am using is.

I'm on 56.72 and playing games that require DX9 compatibility fine. AFAIK
DX9 compatibility was added in the 5x.xx.

Dan

Old March 29th 05, 07:40 PM
Pat

I'm on 56.72 and playing games that require DX9 compatibility fine. AFAIK
DX9 compatibility was added in the 5x.xx.

Dan

Agreed. The 5X.XX drivers as well as most of the 6X.XX drivers work very
well for the 5900 series cards.

Pat

Old March 30th 05, 01:50 AM
Larry

Hi guys,

Well, I was just able to get my picture back to normal under the new
version 71.84. I had to go into the "TV Settings", then click the
"Device Adjustments" button, then click the "Restore Defaults" button
and BAM!, colors and screen size were back. Go figure! I know in the
past I had made some customizations to some of the settings, so maybe
what I had was incompatible with this new version for some reason.

Anyway, I'm where I want to be now. Thanks for your help and support!

Larry