HP on Windows 7

Old October 30th 09, 08:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sherwin dubren

Default HP on Windows 7

Any one else having problems with HP printers working on the
new Windows 7 OS? I had two failures after loading the newest
software for my Photosmart C7280 after loading the latest
updates from Microsoft. Reloading the software for the
printer was a real bear, but now it seems to be stable.
I am still nervous about doing any more windows updates.

Sherwin
Old October 30th 09, 08:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al[_5_]

On Oct 30, 3:08 am, sherwin dubren wrote:
Any one else having problems with HP printers working on the
new Windows 7 OS? I had two failures after loading the newest
software for my Photosmart C7280 after loading the latest
updates from Microsoft. Reloading the software for the
printer was a real bear, but now it seems to be stable.
I am still nervous about doing any more windows updates.

Sherwin

This is what you get when you use a new operating system out of the
box and trust Microsoft. They always take some time to fix all the
drivers and flaws. You will get there eventually. Even Bill Gates used
to say he NEVER uses the latest hardware or software for his own
computer when he was asked.
Old October 30th 09, 09:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Yes, LOTS of folks (http:\\.answers.microsoft.com)

HP is saying new drivers will not be out until JANUARY. ASAIK, all the
other major printer manufacturers have already released updated software.
HP is probably going to lose a lot of customers if they keep behaving this
way.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old October 31st 09, 07:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Edward W. Thompson[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:08:20 -0500, sherwin dubren
wrote:

Any one else having problems with HP printers working on the
new Windows 7 OS? I had two failures after loading the newest
software for my Photosmart C7280 after loading the latest
updates from Microsoft. Reloading the software for the
printer was a real bear, but now it seems to be stable.
I am still nervous about doing any more windows updates.

Sherwin

I have two HP printers, a relatively recent HP6980 deskjet and an old
HP2280 Business Inkjet. I am running Windows 7 x64. Both printers
are supported by Windows 7 without loading HP drivers. Can't be
better than that!

Incidentally as far as I can see HP do not have 64 bit drivers for the
HP2280. They have something on their site caled a 'universal' driver,
whatever that is.
Old October 31st 09, 11:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al[_5_]

On Oct 30, 4:29 pm, "Dyna Soar"
wrote:
Al wrote:
On Oct 30, 3:08 am, sherwin dubren wrote:
Any one else having problems with HP printers working on the
new Windows 7 OS? I had two failures after loading the newest
software for my Photosmart C7280 after loading the latest
updates from Microsoft. Reloading the software for the
printer was a real bear, but now it seems to be stable.
I am still nervous about doing any more windows updates.
Sherwin

This is what you get when you use a new operating system out of the
box and trust Microsoft. They always take some time to fix all the
drivers and flaws. You will get there eventually. Even Bill Gates used
to say he NEVER uses the latest hardware or software for his own
computer when he was asked.

A typical Microsoft knocker. Why are you blaming Microsoft because HP are
too slack to have drivers available? HP have had plenty of time to do so.

--
Dyna

All rights reserved. All wrongs avenged.

I agree. The point was more that it's trouble being the first or the
last with technology.
Old October 31st 09, 03:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

On 31-Oct-2009, Al wrote:

A typical Microsoft knocker. Why are you blaming Microsoft because HP
are
too slack to have drivers available? HP have had plenty of time to do
so.

So why does Linux work out of the box, drivers available for
pretty well everything, ancient and modern?
Yet with MS$ totally crap operating systems you have to
send to landfill pretty well everything out of warranty
or that is more than two years old.
Come to think of it you will probably have to send
your PC to landfill if it is more than two years old.
Old October 31st 09, 04:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Yes, there are numerous complaints on several newsgroups and other
internet discussion areas about this. The problem is that HP has only
released some new drivers for Windows 7, while others are either not
being written or will delayed until after the new year.

Apparently, the problem is the autorun.ini program does not recognize
the new OS, and therefore throws a "wrong version or operating system"
even though the driver, if it is a Vista driver, should work.

The current fix is to go into the autorun.ini file and add the
references of the os ("oslist=") throughout the autorun.ini to read 601
along with any others appearing there.

The program will them acknowledge Win 7 as a appropriate OS for the
driver installation to work with.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old October 31st 09, 04:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I think it is called planned obsolescence.

Linux has not monetary claim or reward by obsolescing equipment, since
they don't have direct or indirect associations with major hardware vendors.

However, in fairness, this is HPs issue, not Microsoft. MS does not
write any of the drivers they include for peripherals. They all come
from the vendors of the hardware (they are just tested by MS to make
sure they are compliant if they state they are compatible with specific
OSs).

Old October 31st 09, 07:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

On 31-Oct-2009, "Ato_Zee" wrote:

A typical Microsoft knocker. Why are you blaming Microsoft because HP
are
too slack to have drivers available? HP have had plenty of time to do
so.

We blame Microsoft because they know how to drive the
hardware, they know the interface, since they have
supported these peripherals in one or more previous
incarnations of their crap OS's.
Are MS$ too thick to realise that you just send a string
of characters to a printer and handle a few handshakes,
don't send any more, send some more, page throws,
etc. Pretty much the same as the Twain interface.
Worst case you just have to emulate the original
OS, so for instance, you
emulate Win98, and let the OS get the driver from
MS as an update. Plustek scanner the same.
About time MS got rid of Balmar and put in someone
with some technical knowledge between his or her
ears.
Doesn't always work, as with HP's "Ding Dong the
Witch has gone", but maybe HP is slowly dieing,
it isn't the force it was in many areas, perhaps
they have forgotten how to write drivers, make state
of the art test equipment, take on Cisco at its
own game, etc.