Dual mobo

Old December 4th 04, 11:26 PM
Aerticulean Effort

Default Dual mobo

Hi

Any ideas on dual mobos?

Preferably designed for 754 64 bit chips

Thanks in advance

Aerticeus
Old December 5th 04, 01:03 AM
Alan Walpool

"Aerticulean" == Aerticulean Effort writes:

Aerticulean Hi Any ideas on dual mobos?

Aerticulean Preferably designed for 754 64 bit chips

Aerticulean Thanks in advance

Aerticulean Aerticeus

No such thing exists. Dual motherboard are only socket 940. I wish but
AMD will never make a dual 754 chip. ;-))

Good luck.

Old December 5th 04, 01:12 AM
Aerticulean Effort

Alan Walpool wrote:
"Aerticulean" == Aerticulean Effort writes:

Aerticulean Hi Any ideas on dual mobos?

Aerticulean Preferably designed for 754 64 bit chips

Aerticulean Thanks in advance

Aerticulean Aerticeus

No such thing exists. Dual motherboard are only socket 940. I wish but
AMD will never make a dual 754 chip. ;-))

Good luck.

Gnashing of teeth

Great wailings in the background?

Does that mean any, sorry, I'll rephrase that, ANY dual mobo HAS to be
intel based?

Well whoopsa-daisy me!

Old December 5th 04, 02:31 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"Aerticulean Effort" wrote in message
Alan Walpool wrote:
Gnashing of teeth

Great wailings in the background?

Does that mean any, sorry, I'll rephrase that, ANY dual mobo HAS to be
intel based?

Well whoopsa-daisy me!

/Gnashing of teeth

/Great wailings in the background?

Aerticeus

What makes you think every dual motherbord in the world is Intel? There are
many many non-intel dual motherboards... There are many non-intel/amd/x86
motherboards out in the word... Sun Sparc, H/PAQ-Samsung Alpha, IBM
Power3/4/5 etc.... That is of course only a small taste of the dual systems
out there. Just about everyone that makes a micro-processor in this world
has some sort of dual/parallel platform.

Carlo

Old December 5th 04, 03:06 AM
Aerticulean Effort

Alan Walpool wrote:
Gnashing of teeth

Great wailings in the background?

Does that mean any, sorry, I'll rephrase that, ANY dual mobo HAS to be
intel based?

Well whoopsa-daisy me!

/Gnashing of teeth

/Great wailings in the background?

Aerticeus

What makes you think every dual motherbord in the world is Intel? There are
many many non-intel dual motherboards... There are many non-intel/amd/x86
motherboards out in the word... Sun Sparc, H/PAQ-Samsung Alpha, IBM
Power3/4/5 etc.... That is of course only a small taste of the dual systems
out there. Just about everyone that makes a micro-processor in this world
has some sort of dual/parallel platform.

Carlo

name one

better still post links

Old December 5th 04, 03:43 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:26:34 +0000, Aerticulean Effort wrote:

Hi

Any ideas on dual mobos?

Preferably designed for 754 64 bit chips

Thanks in advance

Aerticeus

The 940 pin Opteron 24x is for dual processors, the Athlon 64, both the
939 pin and the bottom of the line 754 version are meant for single
processor uses.

Tyan has a number of Opteron boards

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html
Old December 5th 04, 04:14 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"Aerticulean Effort" wrote in message

What makes you think every dual motherbord in the world is Intel? There
are many many non-intel dual motherboards... There are many
non-intel/amd/x86 motherboards out in the word... Sun Sparc,
H/PAQ-Samsung Alpha, IBM Power3/4/5 etc.... That is of course only a
small taste of the dual systems out there. Just about everyone that makes
a micro-processor in this world has some sort of dual/parallel platform.

Carlo

name one

better still post links

Here you go, links to motherboards and systems:

Opteron
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s.../index-dl.html
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver...325/index.html
http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/ws.html

Alpha:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/index.html

IBM Power Based:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/openpower/
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.5.1.3.1.1.0

Sun Sparc:
http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/

Old December 5th 04, 08:22 AM
John DeLaGarza

"Aerticulean Effort" wrote in message
Does that mean any, sorry, I'll rephrase that, ANY dual mobo HAS to be
intel based?

If what you are asking is are there any dual processor motherboards for AMD
chips the answer is yes.

For the 64bit chips there are dual Opteron boards.

For Socket A chips I'm pretty sure you can use Durons, Athlons, and probably
even Semprons in the dual socket motherboards.

I havent checked this site in a while but it might have some more info for
you.

www.2cpu.com

John DeLaGarza

Old December 5th 04, 09:10 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:12:28 +0000, Aerticulean Effort wrote:

Does that mean any, sorry, I'll rephrase that, ANY dual mobo HAS to be
intel based?

No. They make dual and quad cpu boards for the AMD Opteron. They are
940 pin chips. Tyan and MSI are probably your best bet, with Tyan making a
quad cpu board. And when dual core Opterons come out, the dual board will
then support 4 cores, and the 4, 8 cores. Opterons will be the first out
with dual core cpu's. I'm not what the other plans are. Nor do I care.
They will certainly want many bucks for them.:-)

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html

Old December 5th 04, 06:09 PM
Aerticulean Effort

Carlo Razzeto wrote:
[...]

Many thanks to all of you

It looks like a dual opteron is the one I will go for

Some intuitive urge tells me that I'll get more performance life out of
a dual setup (digital image processing mainly in PSCS)

Have a great Christmas and end of year celebration

Aerticeus

dual CPU set-up/ john_D General 6 January 16th 05 12:28 AM
Dual Core Processors & MoBo k_yhz General 2 January 5th 05 08:43 PM
Quad Cpu Mobo with Dual Core CPUS how fast would that be ? We Live for the One we Die for the One General 0 June 14th 04 10:16 PM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 10:53 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM