AMD Dual Core CPU in 2005?

Old March 12th 05, 05:48 PM

Default AMD Dual Core CPU in 2005?

I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.
What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?

Old March 13th 05, 05:34 PM
keith

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:32:16 +1300, pixel wrote:

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
Bitstring . com, from
the wonderful person said

I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.

Define 'sell' .. do you mean to HP, or Sun, or do you mean to me/you,
and did you mean 'a few units' or 'as many as the market wants'.

What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?

Essentially yes. Even better, it just drops into an existing motherboard
(if you picked the right one)

any idea on which ones are the "right ones"...? i'm considering the Tyan
K8WE with a single cheapo opteron 244/246 to start with, and then later
upgrading to 2 speedy dual core cpus.

on linuxhardware.org tyan had this to say when asked the question on
dual core support:

--
yan) Dual core support on Tyan's Opteron platforms, is a feature we are
very much looking forward to providing to all of our current and future

doesn't sound very promising....

I read this the other way. Of course they cannot guarantee anything until
the processors are available and tested. Their attitude seems to be that
thay'll support their customers as best they can. I expect nothing less
from Tyan.

--
Keith
Old March 13th 05, 06:38 PM
Rob Stow

keith wrote:
[...]

AMD has said repeatedly that if a motherboard meets AMD's
original thermal/power specs for Socket 940, then the dual-core
socket 940 chips will work with nothing more than a possible BIOS
upgrade needed.

HP recently demoed a machine with four dual-core Opterons.
That demo machine supposedly used a motherboard made by Tyan -
but nothing I read said whether it used one of Tyan's standard 4P
motherboards or whether it was something custom made for HP.

As well, the S289x boards use the nForce4 chipset and nVidia has
said that dual-core will work just fine with all versions of the
NF4. I can't remember if nVidia has said anything about the NF3.

Old March 13th 05, 09:25 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Rob Stow writes:

keith wrote:
[...]

Yup, I saw such a beast a few months ago on a Windows fair in
Copenhagen (was there to meet a friend, not to attend the fair. But
it was not a Tyan board, it was one of the standard HP boxes, based on
one of the AMD chipsets, as I recall. Alongside of that, there was an
OEM design also running 4 dual-cores. (It was in the AMD booth).

Regards,

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old March 13th 05, 11:02 PM
Rob Stow

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
Rob Stow writes:

keith wrote:

[...]

I did some more searching at it turns out that it is HP's xw9300
that uses the Tyan S2895: two sockets rather than 4. Lots of
sites made reference to that system, but the only one I that
mentioned dual-cores in that system was the Inquirer - so not
much credibility. The Inq said it handled the dual-cores after a
BIOS upgrade.
Old March 14th 05, 02:27 AM
keith

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:38:04 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:

keith wrote:
[...]

That was my understanding. One hopes that Tyan followed those
specifications for *all* of their products and will stand behind their
product. So far they have, IMO, which is why I prefer them. OTOH, I
haven't seen the 2875 discussed. ;-)

snip

--
Keith
Old March 14th 05, 05:32 AM
Gnu_Raiz

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:03:44 -0600, Ed wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:25:17 +0100, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
wrote:

Rob Stow writes:

keith wrote:
[...]

AMD's Dual Core 90nm Opteron Demonstration Dissected
Published: 9/2/04
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...rtid=56&page=1
Next we come to the HP Proliant DL585. Equipped with 4 940 pin CPU
sockets filled with dual core Opterons. HP has clearly put engineering
hours into the Proliant and it was well cooled and laid out. Putting
our hand to the back of the CPU exhaust revealed an airflow that was far
from hot. In fact it reminded us of our air flow test of the original
Opteron demo in San Francisco.

I like how they put that, how HP has clearly put engineering hours, made
me fall out of my chair laughing. Now if they said Tyan put many
engineering hours into its development then I agree. Thats like saying
Dell has engineered, and developed cutting edge systems. I just wonder how
much HP systems reflect the Newisys white box system they used to show
different companies.

I guess my experience with Tyan is a little biased, because I own one of
the infamous mp2460's. In fact that is what I am typing this on, I was
also a little surprised by the ATI video flap, with the AMD chipsets. I
wonder how the Iwill boards are faring, everyone who has one seems to like
them a lot. At least AMD is not going to need new motherboards like
Intels, dual cores.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=21793

Ok its the Inquirer, but I guess its no surprise.

I still think Tyan will be a little hesitant to release bios fixes for
current boards. It might cut into their sales, I think they will fix a few
models, like the Thunder line maybe choose three or four models. But I
think it will all depend of user demand, I really don't think they will do
the Tiger line, unless their is such an outcry from the user base.
Regardless I will think that the official line will be something on the
lines, that they suggest a new motherboard for complete compatible
systems, but the bios should work.

Gnu_Raiz