$mft problem anyone?

Old January 27th 11, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuild
Chris[_19_]

Default $mft problem anyone?

"leia176" wrote in message ...

Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are appreciated!

I had:
Winxp updated to latest
ABIT iT7 Max2 Ver 2.
1gb Crucial ram
2.4 gh intel
Ati radeon 8500
Soundblaster audigy 2
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

I started getting "$MFT" errors (master file table?) first on one of my sata
drives. Occasionally other drives. The sata port went out completely.
Everytime this would happen I'd reboot and windows would go through this
whole scan disk type thing recovering orphaned files.

At first I thought the drive was bad, and then the port was bad, but it was
happening on all my drives!

Since that board definitely had a bad port I went for an:

bad memory is where i would start.

Win XP updated to latest
ASUS P4p800 deluxe
used an old ati rage videocard just for installing
no sound yet
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata drives I
transferred over.

Are all my drives going bad at once? They are all pretty new..within a year
old.

Could this possibly be a ram or cpu problem?

Old January 27th 11, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuild
Gil[_2_]

Chris wrote:

"leia176" wrote in message ...

[...]

From what you're describing I'd suspect a weak/marginal power supply.
What power supply are you presently using, and what is it's rated
capacity on the 12 volt rail?

Old January 27th 11, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"Chris" ckccomputer btinternet.com wrote:

SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata
drives I transferred over.

Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
operations.
Old January 29th 11, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuild
Oldish Git

"Chris" wrote in message

"leia176" wrote in message ...

[...]

Probably a failing power supply if you are using the same one.
To test your RAM, boot to a memtest86 boot CD (freeware.)
The click you hear is probably the hard drives parking the
heads when the power to them is interrupted.
PSU faults are very, very, common.
HTH,
--
Rob

Old March 18th 15, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Doe:
Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
operations.

After one experience, I expanded that to several copies - with at least
one in a place where I cannot get to it the same day.

Reason: I had a USB controller go south on me once and it was frying
whatever drive got connected to it. Connected the 1st drive,
"poof"... "OK, bad drive".... connected the 2nd drive "Poof".... can't
recall if it dawned on me then or I managed to fry a third drive...

Anyhow, now I have a half-dozen backup drives and a couple of the are
offsite where I cannot get to them in the heat of the moment.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 19th 15, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
VanguardLH[_2_]

PeteCresswell wrote:

After one experience, I expanded that to several copies - with at least
one in a place where I cannot get to it the same day.

Reason: I had a USB controller go south on me once and it was frying
whatever drive got connected to it. Connected the 1st drive,
"poof"... "OK, bad drive".... connected the 2nd drive "Poof".... can't
recall if it dawned on me then or I managed to fry a third drive...

Anyhow, now I have a half-dozen backup drives and a couple of the are
offsite where I cannot get to them in the heat of the moment.

There are drives that actually have a USB interface on them? Haven't
seen or heard of one. I have seen and used USB-attached hard disks but
they have a SATA interface to connects to a USB-to-SATA protocol
converter PCB inside the external drive case. The bad USB controller
would only fry the USB-2-SATA converter inside the external case. Did
you remove the hard disk from the USB enclosure and try a new USB
enclosure?

Having more 2 copies, one on-site and one off-site, makes sense to
protect against fire, theft, or other damage or loss but I don't think
you really needed to make half a dozen copies on separate storage. The
hard disk inside the USB enclosure was probably working and just had to
be moved to another USB enclosure.

Personally, for the base or annual backup, I prefer removable media,
like optical discs. They are separate of the drive electronics and
mechanicals. If the drive goes bad, slide the disc into a new optical
drive. The hard disk is faster, yes, but requires USB3 to approach
internal drive speed on SATA3. With a new mobo, I'd probably see how
well a USB3 drive performed but I'm still using a mobo with only USB2 so
I go with an internal HDD for daily, weekly, and monthly backups and use
the optical drive for base or annual snapshots. The permanence of
closing the session on optical media prevents "accidental" deletes,
altering, or further encryption my backups: no writes, just reads.
Old March 19th 15, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per VanguardLH:
There are drives that actually have a USB interface on them? Haven't
seen or heard of one. I have seen and used USB-attached hard disks but
they have a SATA interface to connects to a USB-to-SATA protocol
converter PCB inside the external drive case. The bad USB controller
would only fry the USB-2-SATA converter inside the external case. Did
you remove the hard disk from the USB enclosure and try a new USB
enclosure?

My Bad: I use USB enclosures.

Now that I think of it, though, the drives within the enclosure at that
time were whatever the precursor to SATA was (EIDE?).... dunno if that
makes any diff....

I did try the drives in another enclosure and they did not work. So I
probably was wrong about the source of the problem and it was the
enclosure rather than the mobo. This was a looooong time ago....

But the basic lesson seems to remain valid: keep a couple of backups out
of reach in the heat of the moment and/or stupidity....
--
Pete Cresswell

MFT? gecko General 6 October 14th 08 04:52 PM
corrupt MFT in harddisc ikke General 14 April 26th 06 06:40 PM
$MFT - structure bensmyth Storage & Hardrives 3 January 11th 05 09:58 AM
$MFT - structure bensmyth Storage (alternative) 4 January 7th 05 05:34 PM