"BFG" FX 5900 price catch?

Old January 21st 04, 08:33 AM
John Lewis

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:05:21 -0000, "Les" wrote:

What's the difference between the FX5900

Memory clock is 850MHz

and the FX5900XT?

Memory clock is 700MHz

John Lewis

Les

Old January 21st 04, 11:42 PM
Randy Miller

I just bought a fx 5900 from Newegg, but I have to say, that's one
HARD site to find what you're looking for on!!

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:24:49 -0800, "TT 1080i"
wrote:

It's true...
I got a Asylum 5900 FX 128 from best buy for $199
I have seen many manufactures hovering around $200.
Search newegg.com you'll see what I mean

"620" wrote in message
Looking at an FX 5900 to upgrade my GeForce 3 Ti 500 (it's been a while).

see pricewatch vendors selling the FX 5900 in the 170 range. Right up my
alley, or so I thought. After I saw the benchmarks, I knew something

didn't
add up; a high-end GPU for under 200... yea, right. I've been buying 3d
accel cards since 3Dfx was king and experience has taught me that this
doesn't make sense.

Take for example this pricewatch vendor, who, like many other vendors on

pw,
have this for sale in the 170-ish range:
http://www.compuhq.com/fx5900.html

The MSI model $429, the eVga model $389, and yet for some magical reason

the
BFG model is $169... what?

Someone clue me in as to what the catch is here, cuase I'm missing it.

Old January 22nd 04, 09:05 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:59:30 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

The 9800 costs a hundred dollars more than the 5900.

9800SE = $160~200
9800 NonPro = $200~220
9800 Pro = $250~350
9800 XT = $435+

5900XT = $170~225
5900 = $190+
5900Ultra = $340+
5950Ultra = $400+

So your magic number of $100 over the 5900 is from what, exactly?

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 24th 04, 03:35 PM
tq96

latest Nvidia cards are slightly quieter than ATI. That is why I went

That depends on the OEM. I've seen an NVidia card with *three* 40mm fans.
Saphire makes ATI cards with a heatpipe attached that should run cool and
quiet if you pair it with a slow running 80mm fan. Hopefully one of the
NVidia oems will partner with Zalman as well so we have a heatpipe-equipped
card available in both camps. (Installing a heatpipe yourself voids your
warranty.)
Old January 25th 04, 06:23 AM
Darthy

On 24 Jan 2004 09:35:19 -0600, tq96 wrote:

latest Nvidia cards are slightly quieter than ATI. That is why I went

That depends on the OEM. I've seen an NVidia card with *three* 40mm fans.
Saphire makes ATI cards with a heatpipe attached that should run cool and
quiet if you pair it with a slow running 80mm fan. Hopefully one of the
NVidia oems will partner with Zalman as well so we have a heatpipe-equipped
card available in both camps. (Installing a heatpipe yourself voids your
warranty.)

According to DELL - Installing any hardware or software that is NOT
bought from Dell's online shop will void your warranty. And of
course, if you upgraded your video card and want to troubleshoot it -
they won't help you until you put your original card in (even if you
bought the better card from Dell).

Old January 25th 04, 05:09 PM
Albert

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:17:48 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

The ASLM5900 has now disappeared from Newegg's site.

It's back but out of stock just now.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=1&section=1

Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 26th 04, 09:57 PM
620

"620" wrote in message
Looking at an FX 5900 to upgrade my GeForce 3 Ti 500 (it's been a while).

see pricewatch vendors selling the FX 5900 in the 170 range. Right up my
alley, or so I thought. After I saw the benchmarks, I knew something

didn't
add up; a high-end GPU for under 200... yea, right. I've been buying 3d
accel cards since 3Dfx was king and experience has taught me that this
doesn't make sense.

Take for example this pricewatch vendor, who, like many other vendors on

pw,
have this for sale in the 170-ish range:
http://www.compuhq.com/fx5900.html

The MSI model $429, the eVga model $389, and yet for some magical reason

the
BFG model is $169... what?

Someone clue me in as to what the catch is here, cuase I'm missing it.

Thanks for the replies, looks like a real weird anomoly in the market
price-wise, but I won't complain. NewEgg was out of stock when I went
hunting for one, they're not the only ones selling it in that price range
tho (plus I have to pay tax at newegg). I found a somewhat questionable
pricewatch vendor (you can figure it out; they're too dubious for me to link
in good conscience: $171 price, in NY, free shipping, very few but REAL
hideous feedbacks, you can't miss em). Kinda in a hurry upgrade so I'm
chancing it.

Old April 1st 04, 03:32 PM
ME

Man, I agree, I've had the same problem.
ME

Old April 1st 04, 03:40 PM
ME

Darthy,
Thanks for this post. Great bit of info as I'm planning on a video card
in the next 30 days. Your post provides a bit of info on the cards most
recommended so far. Could you offer a bit more info. I'm wondering which is
the fastest CPU, Memory. (Don't those two point mean the card gives the best
frame rates? Are the ATI drivers really so "flaky") I did find this chart
http://www.neeyik.info/3dspecs/ (thanks to the poster) which helps. I don't
mind spending the $350-$400.00 if it will do the job for my flight sim/first
person shooter game. I paid like $200.00 for my Voodoo 5 5500 and it lasted
almost 5 years. Then I went to this 8500 LE and it's doing the job but I
want a new (bells and whistles) one for my P4 3.GHz on the Asus P4C800-E
Deluxe.
ME