"BFG" FX 5900 price catch?

Old January 20th 04, 10:03 PM
620

Default "BFG" FX 5900 price catch?

Looking at an FX 5900 to upgrade my GeForce 3 Ti 500 (it's been a while). I
see pricewatch vendors selling the FX 5900 in the 170 range. Right up my
alley, or so I thought. After I saw the benchmarks, I knew something didn't
add up; a high-end GPU for under 200... yea, right. I've been buying 3d
accel cards since 3Dfx was king and experience has taught me that this
doesn't make sense.

Take for example this pricewatch vendor, who, like many other vendors on pw,
have this for sale in the 170-ish range:
http://www.compuhq.com/fx5900.html

The MSI model $429, the eVga model $389, and yet for some magical reason the
BFG model is $169... what?

Someone clue me in as to what the catch is here, cuase I'm missing it.

Old January 20th 04, 10:34 PM
gelbs

The BFG card you are referring to is a 5900 not 5900 Ultra.Card works great
can be OC'ed easily to Ultra levels and over 39000 0n Aquamark . Buy it

I got my Outlook Express anti-spam filter at http://www.spamXpress.com

Old January 20th 04, 10:52 PM
Scotter

That is a great deal on a FX5900 as I've seen them as high as $275.
Snatch it up for get the ATI equivalent, which seems to be slightly more
advanced card.
If you are curious, read the thread titled "ati 9800xt or navida 5950
ultra??" here in this newsgroup. Go to futuremark.com and look at scores
people are getting with nvidia cards vs. ati. But also know the latest
Nvidia cards are slightly quieter than ATI. That is why I went with Nvidia..
..BUT if you want the fastest thing out there right now, it is
dollar-for-dollar an ATI card. I guess the Radeon 9800 is what compares
roughly to Nvidia's FX5900.
Oh and some have said nvidia's drivers work on more games than ATI's do. I
can't confirm since I've never run an ATI card.
If you like to run two monitors I've noted that all of Nvidia's latest (as
well as ATI's) have built in dual monitor support. It is something I use and
love.

Old January 20th 04, 11:24 PM
TT 1080i

It's true...
I got a Asylum 5900 FX 128 from best buy for $199
I have seen many manufactures hovering around $200.
Search newegg.com you'll see what I mean

Old January 21st 04, 12:50 AM
Albert

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:03:48 -0800, "620" wrote:

Take for example this pricewatch vendor, who, like many other vendors on pw,
have this for sale in the 170-ish range:

And some are pricing this card at $100 more.
http://neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=64524
Looks like the bundle has changed. Maybe because the card was flaky at
1600 w/ 4x AA and 8x AF resolution in COD (in the bundle).
I can't see anything wrong. http://www.bfgtech.com/5900_redux.html

Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 21st 04, 01:01 AM
Albert

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:05:21 -0000, "Les" wrote:

What's the difference between the FX5900 and the FX5900XT?

Les

The XT or SE or SP on the NVidia is slower Clock/memory speed.
XT is faster on ATI. Check the specs:
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/3dspecs/
and http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html
Check the performance: torturous Aquamark3 test
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-12.html

Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 21st 04, 06:09 AM
BigMike

Looks like a good deal to me, I was checking benchmarks against an ATI 9800
Pro he

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-178-5.htm

and it stacks up pretty nicely, Im buyin that card myself!