""Best"" video Card

Old September 4th 03, 09:23 PM
Chris Roth

Default ""Best"" video Card

Im buyign a new video card. I want the best vide card. Now i know there are
256 meg ones out now. Of both the radeon and nvidia. SO what i wanna know DO
the 256 meg ones run slower? AN which 1 will work best with games. The
Radeon 9800 or geforce FX5900?? If these are the best i dunno i just read a
bit about them. Thnx alot there isnt really a pice limit. i just want the
scoop. (Btw im running p4 2.66ghz)

Old September 4th 03, 10:03 PM
Lee

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:23:06 GMT, "Chris Roth" put
his keys in ignition and wrote:

||Im buyign a new video card. I want the best vide card. Now i know there are
||256 meg ones out now. Of both the radeon and nvidia. SO what i wanna know DO
||the 256 meg ones run slower? AN which 1 will work best with games. The
||Radeon 9800 or geforce FX5900?? If these are the best i dunno i just read a
||bit about them. Thnx alot there isnt really a pice limit. i just want the
||scoop. (Btw im running p4 2.66ghz)

have a read of this article from toms hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/index.html

If you want the best its a choice between the FX5900 ultra or the ati 9800
pro i wouldn't like to choose :-)
---
Lee.
http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Starbo
Old September 5th 03, 02:30 AM
Chimera

Chris Roth wrote:
Sorry about the spelling and caps. I wrote pretty fast
"Chris Roth" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Im buyign a new video card. I want the best vide card. Now i know there

are
256 meg ones out now. Of both the radeon and nvidia. SO what i wanna know

DO
the 256 meg ones run slower? AN which 1 will work best with games. The
Radeon 9800 or geforce FX5900?? If these are the best i dunno i just read

bit about them. Thnx alot there isnt really a pice limit. i just want

the
scoop. (Btw im running p4 2.66ghz)

What is this, a free hand holding service?
My advice would be go get the most expensive one, thats gotta be the best
one right? That way you can always gloat about how yours is the most
expensive card out there.

Your typing reflects your attitude, zero effort

Old September 5th 03, 08:02 AM
Ron Merts

There were some early reports about the 256Mb FX 5600 cards being slightly
slower than their 128Mb counterparts. Whether this is true or
not...probably not in reality. The nVidia card definitely seems to handle,
in particular, some of the older games better than the ATi card - probably a
driver issue with ATi. The FX 5900 is a slightly faster card than the ATi
9800 cards, especially in 3D with all of the FSAA bells and whistles turned
on; however, any frame rate over about 80fps is imperceptable to the human
eye. So, what's the difference between 328 and 338fps? Simple, bragging
rights, nothing more. If you want a card that is supported by consistently
stable drivers, will handle some of the older games out there and that will
deliver some real eye-popping performance and resolution, go with the
nVidia. If driver/system stability and access to play some older games is
not a biggie on your list, go with ATi. Personally, stability is a BIG
bonus; which is why I abandoned ATi years ago and have never looked back -
and I have never been disappointed with nVidia cards either.

Ron

le.rogers.com...

Old September 5th 03, 08:39 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:02:58 GMT, "Ron Merts" wrote:

[...]

Just to add some more personal detail to Ron's statement:--------

With DX9 Pixel Shaders 2.0 enabled, the Ati 9800 currently is about
3 times faster than the FX5900. This could be a driver issue, or it
could be hardware. So, if you want a CURRENT card that screams
with every single graphical bell and whistle turned on in the VERY
LATEST games ( like Aquanox 2 and the latest Tomb Raider) ,
get the Ati 9800.

However, even with the above knowledge, I have just bought
a FX5900, as I am extremely interested both in maximal backward
compatibility with my existing collection of titles, as well as
excellent performance on the new ones. For just one example,
the Ati 9700/9800 with latest Cat3.6 drivers still has problems
with shadows on Jedi Kniight 2............

My FX5900 plus 45.23 driver has performed flawlessy so far with
every title from my large collection that I have thrown at it
( except the 3dfx Glide ones, for which I have my older PC
with a Voodoo 5500 installed ). I am very pleased with my
purchase. Also, I bought the 128Meg version (for $248),
since I have no intention of playing games on a 19-inch
monitor at 1600x1200 resolution with teeny-tiny text, since
most game developers give zero user-accessible
text-rescaling opportunities.

John Lewis

John Lewis

ble.rogers.com...

Old September 5th 03, 10:29 PM
Chris Roth

Umm Chimera.... my attitude is i have more important things to do then waste
time spell checking my work. So plz let me get back to my more important
business! Btw thnx to all who answered my question. Cept Chimera who
obvioisly has her pants on too tight
"Chimera" wrote in message
Chris Roth wrote:
Sorry about the spelling and caps. I wrote pretty fast
le.rogers.com...

Old September 5th 03, 11:08 PM
Rockin Ronnie

"Chris Roth" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Im buyign a new video card. I want the best vide card. Now i know there

are
256 meg ones out now. Of both the radeon and nvidia. SO what i wanna know

DO
the 256 meg ones run slower? AN which 1 will work best with games. The
Radeon 9800 or geforce FX5900?? If these are the best i dunno i just read

bit about them. Thnx alot there isnt really a pice limit. i just want

the
scoop. (Btw im running p4 2.66ghz)

If it is bang-for-buck you want, get the (built by ATI) Radeon 9600Pro (128
megs). Very, very quiet, cool running, takes very little power, DX9
compatible, runs most if not all games with max eye candy and half the price
of the 5900 and 9800. Best is a very relative term!!!!

---
Ron's outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old September 8th 03, 12:13 AM
Chimera

Chris Roth wrote:
Umm Chimera.... my attitude is i have more important things to do then

waste
time spell checking my work. So plz let me get back to my more important
business! Btw thnx to all who answered my question. Cept Chimera who
obvioisly has her pants on too tight

It just amazes me how lazy you are. You dont bother with your product
research, or even typing properly. Why would anyone waste their time
helping you just because you cant be bothered?