Skylake CPUs buckling.

Old December 3rd 15, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Skylake CPUs buckling.

Another reason to postpone Skylake builds:

http://www.eteknix.com/report-suggestake-processors/

Apperently PCB of Skylake based processors is to thin and could be damaged
by heavy CPU coolers.

This german based picture looks quite serious:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Luftku...-CPUs-1179237/

It could be that Skylake is a major failure !

Ha-Ha !

Kinda funny to see usenet prediction come true ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old December 3rd 15, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Another reason to postpone Skylake builds:

http://www.eteknix.com/report-suggestake-processors/

Apperently PCB of Skylake based processors is to thin and could be
damaged by heavy CPU coolers.

This german based picture looks quite serious:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Luftku...-CPUs-1179237/

It could be that Skylake is a major failure !

Ha-Ha !

Kinda funny to see usenet prediction come true ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

It almost looks like a socket design issue.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screen...-pcgh-pcgh.JPG

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/u...herboard_1.jpg

Except Intel has an excuse for it, here. I've never
seen a warning about "bending" in an article like
this before. Looks like their defense is that the
issue is caused by "user error", not a poor design.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-035748.htm

Paul
Old December 3rd 15, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

"
Except Intel has an excuse for it, here. I've never
seen a warning about "bending" in an article like
this before. Looks like their defense is that the
issue is caused by "user error", not a poor design.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-035748.htm
"

Don't think so, this is more about rotation of CPU.

Apperently there are weight specs for intel CPUs and their coolers.

Apperently these specs for skylake are kept secret ?!

Smells like a cover up !

Also consider these points:

1. Apperently buying pre-built PCs is risky, coolers can break off.

2. Lift off and touchdown of PC changes momentum/gravity that kind of thing,
that's mostly likely when things can go bad !

3. I am not convinced that placing it with cooler upwards during transport
would be any safer... side way movements could possibly still damage it.

4. A cooler falling down could also damage other components, perhaps even
cause electrical shock/risks, perhaps damage to harddisks or life, both
worst case scenerios !

5. Heavy CPU coolers have always been something to be carefull with... this
thinner PCB design seems to now finally have caused trouble, though
apperently troubles with these things were already happening.

Lastly I also once showed plastic breaking off from AMD stock cooler... weak
design... metal screws on plastic holes... not a good idea... and it also
vibrated itself to death.

That itself is also an interesting note... what will happen if these heavy
CPU coolers have fans installed on them ?! Perhaps the vibration will damage
these skylake cpus as well... time will tell.

6. Scythe had already admitted that their coolers can cause damage so
nothing to hide behind... though Scythe doesn't seem entirely sure... so far
a few samples came in with damage... So this story is on-going and
developing... meanwhile Intel remains silent which in itself is not a good
sign !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old December 5th 15, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

Thanks for posting that btw, I have a cooler with a good bracket
mechanism, which means I can screw-up the CPU with it...

On 2015-12-03 12:58, Skybuck Flying wrote:

Except Intel has an excuse for it, here. I've never
seen a warning about "bending" in an article like
this before. Looks like their defense is that the
issue is caused by "user error", not a poor design.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-035748.htm
"

Don't think so, this is more about rotation of CPU.

Ya. But don't hold your breath for a fix for this in the next CPU,
they'd likely have to change the socket to do that, which means we're
stuck with the stupidly thin PCB for some time, maybe for ever.

[snip]

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Member-+-David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/Planetary-Society-+-