1080i?

Old November 20th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
hotrod

Default 1080i?

im not sure i understand this but maybe one you people can explain it to me!
i was talking to my brother in law and he has a xbox360 and a plasma big
screen at 1080i
he says it looks much better than my 21 inch sony trinitron at 1600x1200 at
32bit with it turned up as high as everything can be on a x1900xtx 512 x 2
in crossfire 2 of them with a core 2 duo extreme 2.93 with 4 gigs ram, was
i correct in saying no way ,or am i misinformed

Old November 20th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

hotrod wrote:
im not sure i understand this but maybe one you people can explain it to me!
i was talking to my brother in law and he has a xbox360 and a plasma big
screen at 1080i
he says it looks much better than my 21 inch sony trinitron at 1600x1200 at
32bit with it turned up as high as everything can be on a x1900xtx 512 x 2
in crossfire 2 of them with a core 2 duo extreme 2.93 with 4 gigs ram, was
i correct in saying no way ,or am i misinformed

Several factors could be present:

1.) Room lighting
2.) LCD CRT these days, in terms of contrast and brightness, not sure
about plasma. Colours look more vivid on my LCDs than on my CRTs.
3.) Size. Bigger always looks cooler. Unless it's a mobile phone or a
credit card bill.
4.) One-up-man-ship. He might just possibly be jealous of your
ridiculously powerful computer.

But 5 is the most important one:

5.) 1080i means 1080 lines interlaced. If it's a widescreen TV, i.e.
16x9, then his resolution is 1920x1080. That is slightly more pixels
than your 1600x1200.

Your graphics cards and computer should outperform his X-Box 360. The
limiting factor is your monitor. Go out and buy a 23 inch widescreen
LCD monitor capable of 1920x1200 or better and you'll beat him hands down.

Cameron.
Old November 20th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

hotrod wrote:
im not sure i understand this but maybe one you people can explain it to me!
i was talking to my brother in law and he has a xbox360 and a plasma big
screen at 1080i
he says it looks much better than my 21 inch sony trinitron at 1600x1200 at
32bit with it turned up as high as everything can be on a x1900xtx 512 x 2
in crossfire 2 of them with a core 2 duo extreme 2.93 with 4 gigs ram, was
i correct in saying no way ,or am i misinformed

You are correct in that you are misinformed my dear hardware enthusiast!

The correct response to such a statement is, "I'm happy that you enjoy
your gaming system as much as you do. I too, enjoy mine as well, what
games do you like to play on your system?" Replace with local dialect
where necessary for desired effect. That's the correct social response
to assuage his ego and to defend yours, but what is the correct
technical response?

To compare things, you need criteria. Only by defining criteria can you
then have something to measure, and those measurements can be thusly
compared. Once the comparisons are made, only then can an assessment of
the merits or deficiencies of those measured qualities be pronounced.

Game platforms are more similar than not, so you can have several
meaningful criteria to help you make an assessment of visual appeal;
such as color fidelity and hue, luminance and contrast. Texture quality
and resolution as well make up part of the criteria you are likely to
measure. As well as an individual's subjective response to the absolute
size of the display unit.

After all that, which I'm sure you weren't expecting, I'll ask you: What
do you think?
Old November 20th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Cameron Walsh wrote:
hotrod wrote:
[...]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the same things when I read
the OP. Well writ.

Old November 21st 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

I'm pleased to tell you that he is wrong. His TV is running at 1080 x 768;
your's is running at 1600 x 1200. Guess which wins the quality of
resolution contest?

--
DaveW

----------------

Old November 21st 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Uhhh, no. In TV-speak, the number represents the horizontal resolution. And
if you are anal about it, you can even make a distinction between "lines",
"fields", etc.

"1080i" means 1920x1080. However, because it's interlaced, the hardware
workload is equivalent to 1920x540.

How come you aren't telling him to upgrade his video card and PSU, like you
always do? :-)

. ..

Old November 21st 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul Bauer

1080i does not mean 1920 x 1080, it is either 1024 x 768 or 1366 x 768

1080p means 1920 x 1080

computer monitors in widescreen can be

1440 x 900
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1200
2560 x 1600

they don't correlate directly because tv's are 16:9 and monitors are 16:10.

"First of One" localhost@localhost wrote in message
Uhhh, no. In TV-speak, the number represents the horizontal resolution.
And if you are anal about it, you can even make a distinction between
"lines", "fields", etc.

"1080i" means 1920x1080. However, because it's interlaced, the hardware
workload is equivalent to 1920x540.

How come you aren't telling him to upgrade his video card and PSU, like
you always do? :-)

. ..

Old November 21st 06, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

1080i does not mean 1920 x 1080, it is either 1024 x 768 or 1366 x 768

1080p means 1920 x 1080

As does 1080i, the difference is wether it's interlaced (1080i) or progressive (1080p)
scan.

X600 SE at 1080i? ZR Ati Videocards 1 January 23rd 06 04:36 AM
Tv Set to 720p mode. But if i play a 1080i Video whats it playing at ??? Son Of Sheep. Nvidia Videocards 1 July 29th 05 07:34 AM
Tv Set to 720p mode. But if i play a 1080i Video whats it playing at ??? Son Of Sheep. Homebuilt PC's 0 July 24th 05 12:54 AM
Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON-[1/1] - "Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON.pdf" 301690/yEnc (1/2) Andrew Ati Videocards 1 December 22nd 03 02:19 PM
Help! DVD playback at 1080i with ATI Radeon 7200? Isaac Kuo Ati Videocards 14 December 11th 03 04:30 PM