128 vs 256?

Old December 3rd 05, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 128 vs 256?

What kind of performance difference will I see if I get a 6600GT with
256 as opposed to 128?

Old December 3rd 05, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article . com,
says...
What kind of performance difference will I see if I get a 6600GT with
256 as opposed to 128?

Non worth noting.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old December 3rd 05, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Depends on the game. Call of Duty 2 will benefit significantly from 256 MB
in DX9 mode.

At this point in time the price difference should be small, so you might as
well go for 256 MB. The extra RAM will also help the card's eBay resale
value when you upgrade.

ups.com...

Old December 4th 05, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Guy at Game store today told me that on the lesser cards, such as
an ATI 9800 Pro, run the shortcut with the append - dx8, and it
would run much faster. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to
before
I upgrade. Just might be a quick fix for the lower end cards .. and
it's free.

johns

Old December 4th 05, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

To help keep costs down, the card with 256MBs of memory might be using
slower memory.
Or memory that is less overclockable.
ups.com...

Old December 4th 05, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

johns wrote:
Guy at Game store today told me that on the lesser cards, such as
an ATI 9800 Pro, run the shortcut with the append - dx8, and it
would run much faster. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to
before
I upgrade. Just might be a quick fix for the lower end cards .. and
it's free.

Doesn't this make you lose graphic effects? I know in Call of Duty 2 demo, I lost haze effects
when I used DirectX 7 mode in its video options on my old ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) card.
--
Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 54, Number 536
/\___/\
( )
Old December 4th 05, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article .com,
johns says...
Guy at Game store today told me that on the lesser cards, such as
an ATI 9800 Pro, run the shortcut with the append - dx8, and it
would run much faster.

It does work. It turns off alot of the DX9 effects. On some games
there'll be negligble difference and TBH, you'll be spending so much
time watching the action, you're unlikely to notice.

Old December 4th 05, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

tod wrote:
To help keep costs down, the card with 256MBs of memory might be using
slower memory.
Or memory that is less overclockable.
wrote in message
ups.com...

What kind of performance difference will I see if I get a 6600GT with
256 as opposed to 128?

no, they use DDR3, I would get a 256 MB card esp for EQ II and
FarCry where the texures are more detailed and the draw distance is
huge. I would actually recommend a 6800GT if you can afford it.
Old December 4th 05, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Don't think there is a DX8 mode, only DX7 and DX9. Nonetheless I tried it,
and couldn't see any indication that the command-line switch did anything.

Logically, though, for a 9800 Pro, running in DX8 mode would be *slower*,
since a lot of effects will have to be done in two passes instead of one.

oups.com...