128 or 256?

Old June 21st 05, 06:24 PM
big8red

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030604/

This may be work a read. 9800Pro 256 V/s 128

Old June 21st 05, 08:30 PM
Conor

In article , Dragoncarer says...

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Dragoncarer says...

"big8red" wrote in message
k...

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message
So I've heard mixed opinions about this issue - for instance my bro
says
he's heard a 128mb card will actually perform better than a 256mb
card.

What's the deal?!

lol, but thanks for any help/ opinions/ info.

On some reviews I've read the 256mb cards sometimes had slower memory
than
the 128. It was the slower memory rather than the amount of memory
which
caused the lower performance.

But if they had 'normal' memory - they would be 'better'?

Not necessarily as it requires more time for the additional 128MB of
textures to be transferred to the card.

I guess this is similar to where I've heard it said the it's unlikely you'll
use the extra 128.
Which most games now and in the immediate future won't need. So. I'm still
unsure!

AFAIK its pretty much limited to Doom3.

--
Conor

Old June 22nd 05, 12:54 AM
RaceFace

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message
Ah. It's kinda typical of him to get a bee in his bonnet about some
things, lol.
Thanks for that - so...what about the diff between the two cards I
mentioned in my other post (GB 6800GT 256 vs LT 6800GT 128)?

You're sure they were 6800GTs and not 6600GTs? A 6800GT with 128M sounds
like a butchered 6800GT to me, as every normal 6800GT I've ever read about
had 256M on it.

If you're spending enough to get a 6800GT.. get the 256M version. I can
almost guarantee there's something else other than RAM that'd make the 128M
version not worth it.

RF.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:37 AM
Dragoncarer

"big8red" wrote in message
. uk...
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030604/

This may be work a read. 9800Pro 256 V/s 128

Thanks.
OK so I understand where you can encounter problems with 256 cards....but
AFAICT there's no easy way to determine if your card has slower mem or not.
I guess that's the rub.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:42 AM
Dragoncarer

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Dragoncarer says...

t...

"big8red" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 256mb 9600XT which actually runs Doom3 pretty fine...I guess I'm
going for a 6800GT - so getting a 256mb version probably won't be that
important.

--
Conor

Old June 22nd 05, 01:43 AM
Dragoncarer

"Ken Marsh" wrote in message
Hi,

The original nVIDIA Ti4200 64MB had a faster core and memory speed than
the 128MB version. I imagine there are other models like that out there.

One has to be VERY careful when buying video cards, especially from mass
retailers. Typically they offer 64 or 128 bit wide data paths when the
"real" version you see reviewed on the hardware sites have 128 or 256 bit
(respectively) wide paths. So you essentially get 1/2 the throughput which
has a major impact on performance.

To make up for it, they give you twice as much cheap, slow memory, which
you are less able to use because of the bottleneck. Reference any 256MB
card with "SE" or "LE" in the title.

Ken.

Thanks for that. Why SE and LE??
They do have one card for sale that is a 6800GT LE (from memory) - it's
quite cheap. But it's not the one I'm after.

Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

Old June 22nd 05, 01:48 AM
Dragoncarer

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message
Ah. It's kinda typical of him to get a bee in his bonnet about some
things, lol.
Thanks for that - so...what about the diff between the two cards I
mentioned in my other post (GB 6800GT 256 vs LT 6800GT 128)?

You're sure they were 6800GTs and not 6600GTs? A 6800GT with 128M sounds
like a butchered 6800GT to me, as every normal 6800GT I've ever read about
had 256M on it.

If you're spending enough to get a 6800GT.. get the 256M version. I can
almost guarantee there's something else other than RAM that'd make the
128M version not worth it.

RF.

Yeah - definately 6800GT. OK....well AUD20 works out to be about
USD10-15...so it's not a huge change between prices - but the fact that one
card has 256 and the 128 worries me a little.
I probably will end up getting the 256 now - but....mhmmm.

http--www.msy.com.au-Parts-PARTS.pdf

The two cards I'm weighing up are the 5th line - 2nd position and the last
line - 2nd position in 'AGP Slot - Nvidia Chipset w/TV out'.

But any other recommendations or suggestions?

Old June 22nd 05, 03:45 AM
RaceFace

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message

Thanks for that. Why SE and LE??
They do have one card for sale that is a 6800GT LE (from memory) - it's
quite cheap. But it's not the one I'm after.

SE and LE stand for Sucky Edition and Lame Edition, respectively.

Marketing crap. Same reason they put stupid letters after car names. They
mean absolutely nothing, usually. Just a way for marketers to make them
sound cooler.

RF.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:20 AM
Dragoncarer

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message

Thanks for that. Why SE and LE??
They do have one card for sale that is a 6800GT LE (from memory) - it's
quite cheap. But it's not the one I'm after.

SE and LE stand for Sucky Edition and Lame Edition, respectively.

Marketing crap. Same reason they put stupid letters after car names.
They mean absolutely nothing, usually. Just a way for marketers to make
them sound cooler.

RF.

lol...ain't that the truth. Well, like I said, I wasn't going to go near the
LE anyway....it was about $100 cheaper - which made me extremely suspicious.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:08 PM
MP

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote:

Basically, 256MB cards are better than 128MB cards since they have more
memory for textures. However, this is only valid if both cards are (except
for the memory size of course) identical (means: identical GPU, identical
bus width, identical clock). However, there are cards where the 256MB
version has a smaller memory bus or a lower clock rate than the 128MB
version, thus making the 128MB card faster in most situations...

Would anyone know if this is the case with a BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC
(256MB)?

Thanks!

Mark