Corsair vs Kingston USB

Old March 24th 07, 07:03 PM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default Corsair vs Kingston USB

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:03:41 -0500, Yugo
wrote:

Anton Ertl wrote:
Yugo writes:

Oopsie, daisy, I didn't knwo that. I'll check. What is considered a
good R/W spped ?

Beyond 25MB/s.

- anton

According to this:

USB supports three data rates:

* A Low Speed rate of up to 1.5 Mbit/s (187.5 kB/s) that is
mostly used for Human Interface Devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice,
and joysticks.
* A Full Speed rate of up to 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s). Full Speed was
the fastest rate before the USB 2.0 specification and many devices
fall back to Full Speed. Full Speed devices divide the USB bandwidth
between them in a first-come first-served basis and it is not uncommon
to run out of bandwidth with several isochronous devices. All USB Hubs
support Full Speed.
* A Hi-Speed rate of up to 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).

Forget about these, assuming you are buying a modern product
it will be USB hi-speed. We are not talking about the USB
speed, we are talking about the product read and write
speed. Different products using the same Hi-Speed USB2
interface can and often do vary quite a lot in their actual
performance in writing (mostly) and reading (to a lesser
extent, when talking about 4GB sizes).

Hubs, even Hi-Speed hubs, serving a number of non-hi-speed devices,
are likely to divide up a total bandwidth of 12 Mbit/s for such
devices, which will slow them down unless the hub has transaction
translator for each port. [3]

Ignore this too, we are talking about what the product
manufacturer specs as the READ and WRITE speed. Nothing
else/other/different/not-usb.

Though Hi-Speed devices are commonly referred to as "USB 2.0" and
advertised as "up to 480 Mbit/s", not all USB 2.0 devices are
Hi-Speed. Hi-speed devices typically only operate at half of the full
theoretical (60 MB/s) data throughput rate. The maximum rate currently
(2006) attained with real devices is about half, 30 MB/s.[4] Most
hi-speed USB devices typically operate at much slower speeds, often
about 3 MB/s overall, sometimes up to 10-20 MB/s. The USB-IF certifies
devices and provides licenses to use special marketing logos for
either "Basic-Speed" (low and full) or Hi-Speed after passing a
compliancy test and paying a licensing fee. All devices are tested
according to the latest spec, so recently-compliant Low Speed devices
are also 2.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

So, yes, above 25 MB/s should be pretty good. I suppose I'll have to
pay a visit to Tom's hardware to learn more.

Followups set to originals

It is unrealistic to expect 25MB/s write speed from most,
and even those spec'ing it, will tend to have a real-world
figure lower than this. It might read at 25MB/s though.
Old March 26th 07, 04:32 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Yugo[_2_]

kony wrote:

Ignore this too, we are talking about what the product
manufacturer specs as the READ and WRITE speed.

Very interesting, Kony. It would be nice of you if you could provide
"specs as the READ and WRITE speed" of any USB2 key on either Corsair
or Kingston sites.

Thanks again!

Old March 26th 07, 04:39 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 22:32:36 -0500, Yugo
wrote:

kony wrote:

Ignore this too, we are talking about what the product
manufacturer specs as the READ and WRITE speed.

Very interesting, Kony. It would be nice of you if you could provide
"specs as the READ and WRITE speed" of any USB2 key on either Corsair
or Kingston sites.

Thanks again!

The answer is no, because you are equally capable of going
to their website and seeking a read and write speed.
"read", "write", not "USB". It's just that simple.

Go to their website and check. As I'd already mentioned,
when a manufacturer fails to mention any speed it is because
it is not fast enough to be rated, it is their lowest speed
product, slower than everything else modern.
Old March 27th 07, 05:49 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Yugo[_2_]

kony wrote:

It would be nice of you if you could provide
"specs as the READ and WRITE speed" of any USB2 key on either Corsair
or Kingston sites.

The answer is no, because you are equally capable of going
to their website and seeking a read and write speed.
"read", "write", not "USB". It's just that simple.

Providing the links wouldn't have taken 1/10 of the time who took to
write your silly messages. Trolling on newsgroups is pretty simple too!

Old March 27th 07, 03:16 PM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:49:14 -0500, Yugo
wrote:

kony wrote:

It would be nice of you if you could provide
"specs as the READ and WRITE speed" of any USB2 key on either Corsair
or Kingston sites.

The answer is no, because you are equally capable of going
to their website and seeking a read and write speed.
"read", "write", not "USB". It's just that simple.

Providing the links wouldn't have taken 1/10 of the time who took to
write your silly messages. Trolling on newsgroups is pretty simple too!

You have worn out your welcome.