128 or 256?

Old June 26th 05, 05:08 PM
McGrandpa

"Dragoncarer"
snip

I have a 256mb 9600XT which actually runs Doom3 pretty fine...I
guess I'm going for a 6800GT - so getting a 256mb version probably
won't be that important.

--
Conor

-You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want
room K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)

AFAIK, the 6800GT is a 256 bit 256 meg card. At least, the AGP
version is. I didn't see any 128 meg versions. Didn't look that
hard either McG.

Yeah screw it, i'll just get the 256mb one.

Well, it'll be well worth it, especially seeing the Divine Ponytail
breezing all over your screen
McG.

Old June 29th 05, 11:54 AM
MP

"Doug" wrote:

Textures are usually pre-loaded BEFORE you begin the level so they don't
affect you once you're in the game. If you don't have ENOUGH video texture
memory though, guess what happens when you run out? A: you get stutter as
the game has to resort to AGP texture memory. It's ALWAYS better to have
more video memory to pre-load texture memory in than less. BTW, it might
actually take more time to load textures with less video memory if you
have to resort to AGP/DIME texture memory because of memory bus contention
between the CPU and vid-card.

*Is there a "B"?:-)

No, just kidding, Doug. I understand what you're saying and thank you very
much for your crystal-clear explanation on texture memory and how it is
better to have 256 MB of memory than not (in some cases).

I haven't experienced ANY problems with the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC.
What a well-made product. Makes me proud to buy American again!

Texture load time is very fast because of the 16-pipe superscalar GPU with
256MB of GDDR3 memory.

I am so happy with it, I could scream a "Far Cry". Before I bought this
card, I just didn't realize just how beautiful madness, mayhem, and fraggin'
could be!

Thanks again.

Mark

Old June 29th 05, 12:22 PM
MP

Original discussion - "128 or 256?"

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote:

Basically, 256MB cards are better than 128MB cards since they have more
memory for textures. However, this is only valid if both cards are
(except for the memory size of course) identical (means: identical GPU,
identical bus width, identical clock). However, there are cards where
the 256MB version has a smaller memory bus or a lower clock rate than
the 128MB version, thus making the 128MB card faster in most
situations...

"MP" asked:

Would anyone know if this is the case with a BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC
(256MB)?

Mark

"RaceFace" answered:

AFAIK, all 6800GTs with 256MB are full, complete 6800GTs. BFG certainly
isn't a company that would scrimp on memory quality either, since their
cards are overclocked right from the start. Lower quality memory wouldn't
allow that.

RF

Thanks, RF! This is great to know. I didn't want to open my case once again
to check this on the chip (I was getting looks by the clan - "That computer
is open more than it is closed!" "You want to do *what* to it now?").

I feel exactly the same way, that the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC is
extremely well-made and I didn't think that BFG would scrimp on memory,
either.

Lordy, I love this card. I have suffered through some bad video cards, and I
will never turn back to "value" GPUs. I did without for many years just to
see how far these GPUs would go, and I think AGP cards have reached or are
nearing their apex.

I do hope they come down in price from $399.99 USD list, just so everyone
that still has an AGP rig can afford one.

I got mind at dealer cost (or at least that is what CompUSA told me - $254
USD was their cost, if I recall correctly) because they made a mistake
advertising the rig I bought. They advertised the video card as being a
5700, but it turned out it was a 5700LE.

I told the CompUSA manager I wanted the BFG 6800GT OC: "Since I'm here and
my computer is here, I would like to pull the 5700LE (they were going
replace the card - the 5700LE - with the one they had advertised - the 5700)
and put in *that* one (pointing to the BFG 6800GT OC)."

"How much would you charge me, and would you buy back the 5700LE for what
you are selling it for?"

Manager: "Sure!" "Not only will I do that, I will sell you the BFG 6800GT OC
at our cost, and install it free."

CompUSA gave me $170 credit for the 5700LE.This amount was subtracted from
their cost on the BFG 6800GT OC - $254.

So CompUSA got the 5700LE and $84 from me, and I left with the BFG nVidia
GeForce 6800GT OC installed and a lovely lime-green and silver empty BFG
nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC box with extra connections, "just in case" he said.
He threw in some fabulously grounded and sheilded audio, USB and 1394
cables.

I don't think I've ever been so thrilled coming away from a transaction, and
I am so glad I merely asked,as I am glad to your input, too. Thanks!

Mark