"Hot" card of Pentium2 era?

Old June 27th 04, 09:19 PM
orlando

Voodoo 3 series with a tv-out. Great for glide!
I was running this baby in a k6-2 500. Pretty good picture quality ,
and Unreal Tournament/Undying/etc. ran just flawless!

HTH
regards
orlando

Travis wrote:
Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.

The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?

Many thanks!

Travis

Old June 28th 04, 08:30 PM
Travis

Thanks for the kind words, folks. 'Got pointed to a V3 3500, but
I really don't need capture. 'Finally got a Voodoo3 3000, AGP, 16
meg, S-video out, plentiful at Amazon, not to be found at Ebay
6-26, although Ebay has *lots* of 3500s.

I paid $30 at Amazon, includes shipping. Most are priced around
$60 (!) but have the factory CD. I opted for the cheapo that
didn't have drivers and went to DriversGuide.com for
CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe, apparently good for all Win OS.
I'll report back on results.

Old July 2nd 04, 04:36 AM
Travis

DriverGuide.com's "CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe"'s 8MB package
stalled on setup. ("Error 2894")

A second file, v3w9x-figs-oem.exe, 5MB, installed fine and is
running Glide beautifully in Janes WW2F and
EAW. But ...

Red Baron 3D, the reason I got the card, runs with the ground and
fuselage blanked, screen semi-blinking and sick green colors in
the 2D cockpit -- argh. Any ideas? I forced an RB3D "rbprefs.dat"
re-write, but that did
nothing. I un-installed, re-installed the drivers a few times.
"Force mipmapping" or something in the 3Dfx Control
Panel? etc?

Advice appreciated.

the system is a 1998 P2/400/128MB/W98-SE/DX7 (not yet running the
V3 to TV but an NEC 17" CRT VGA)

V3 info: from Device Manager, etc.:

3Dfx Interactive Inc. ver 4.12.01.1213 (C) 10-25-99
Hardware ver 001, BIOS ver 1.00.1, 3Dfx Tools ver 1.5.1.54

(displayed in Device Manager/Properties)
3DFX163.DRV
3DFXV3.VXD (vmm32.vxd [vdd.vxd])

(and located with these in \windows\system):

3DFXOGL.DLL 11-11-99
3DFXSPL2.DLL 10-22-99
3DFXSPL3.DLL 10-22-99
3DFXCmn.DLL 10-22-99
3DFXCpa.DLL 10-22-99
GLIDE2X.DLL 11-5-99
GLIDE3X.DLL 11-7-99

Old July 2nd 04, 04:55 AM
Travis

Fooling around with a Glide wrapper 2 weeks back, the wonderful
dgVoodoo on the hopeless TNT1, left a copy of GLIDE2X.DLL in the
RB3D main directory. Removing it enabled RB3D to get to Glide
World.

Victory!

And many thanks to anyone who, in the ten minutes since my
original call-for-help post, spent any thoughts working on a
solution for me!

Travis