128 or 256MB Card

Old October 26th 03, 10:14 PM
Daz

Default 128 or 256MB Card

128 or 256MB Card

I am considering a leadtek 5900 card with VIVO. Can anyone tell me whether
the extra 128 memory makes a vast difference bearing in mind that I wish to
do video capture.

Thanks

Old October 27th 03, 02:55 AM
The Black Wibble

Daz wrote:
128 or 256MB Card

I am considering a leadtek 5900 card with VIVO. Can anyone tell me whether
the extra 128 memory makes a vast difference bearing in mind that I wish to
do video capture.

Thanks

The difference is miniscule. Today's games just don't make use of the
extra memory. I bought a 5900 with 256MB only because it was a quiet
card and there was no 128MB version available at the time. But if
you're going for a 5900 get a 5900 Ultra because the extra clock speed
does make a noticable difference.

---
3GHz Pentiun 4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
MSI FX900U-VTD256
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Genius Twintouch wireless keyboard & mouse.
Windows XP Pro
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

Old October 27th 03, 09:56 AM
Aki Peltola

"The Black Wibble" wrote
The difference is miniscule. Today's games just don't make use of the
extra memory.

And it's not good thing at all to look further into the future, ehh? :-)

Old October 27th 03, 07:21 PM
The Chronic

"Aki Peltola" wrote in message
"The Black Wibble" wrote
The difference is miniscule. Today's games just don't make use of the
extra memory.

And it's not good thing at all to look further into the future, ehh? :-)

That's right, actually. By the time a game comes out that actually uses
256MB VRAM, the 5900 will be worth $50 and will be too slow for the game.

Old October 27th 03, 08:48 PM
The Black Wibble

Aki Peltola wrote:
"The Black Wibble" wrote

The difference is miniscule. Today's games just don't make use of the
extra memory.

And it's not good thing at all to look further into the future, ehh? :-)

I was thinking along the same lines as The Chronic. My card would
likely be a weak performer in every other area before 256MB becomes an
advantage.

---

Old October 28th 03, 08:16 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:56:31 +0200, "Aki Peltola"
wrote:

"The Black Wibble" wrote
The difference is miniscule. Today's games just don't make use of the
extra memory.

And it's not good thing at all to look further into the future, ehh? :-)

er... by that time, the card is too slow... that's a bit STUPID...
Sometimes "future" theory works, such as RAM upgradable, AGP slot, CPU
compatiblity...

That was the stupid crap that Intel pushed for the first P4 system -
The first P4 1.4Ghz was about the same as a 1Ghz AMD or PIII CPU...
and had expensive RD-RAM... but "youre investing in the future", of
course, it was useless as the newer P4 chips in the new smaller
package was incompatible with the Socket 423 (right?) - so You'd have
to buy a whole new computer. Meanwhile, AMD system were scalable for
a much longer time than Intel.

With the latest games... 256mb does nothing... at the most 5fps with
an AMD64 CPU... otherwise the avg was about 2fps faster.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 28th 03, 08:18 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:14:08 -0000, "Daz" wrote:

128 or 256MB Card

I am considering a leadtek 5900 card with VIVO. Can anyone tell me whether
the extra 128 memory makes a vast difference bearing in mind that I wish to
do video capture.

Read mine and others about 256mb being useless... its BRAGGING RIGHTS.

But, bear this in mind:

MSI 5900 ULTRA is about $300 nows, their VIVO version only comes with
256mb and is about $330.. .so FOR that, its a GOOD deal, more for VIVO
than the memory, think of it as a "bonus".

MSI makes a VERY quiet 5900Ultra... A friend has one, it makes far
LESS noise than my Ti4200.

Shop for it on www.pricewatch.com