older mobo won't 'see' larger HD

Old March 19th 04, 11:41 AM
Alan Brown

Default older mobo won't 'see' larger HD

Hi

Old problem.. fitting larger drives to older mobos. I have a couple of PCs
(with 6Gb HDs) that need their HD replacing. I tried a 'small' 40Gb but the
bios did not recognise it. Would fitting a PCI IDE adapter card solve the
problem?

Thanks in advance.. any advice appreciated

Alan

Old March 19th 04, 01:20 PM
kony

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:41:44 -0000, "Alan Brown"
wrote:

Hi

Old problem.. fitting larger drives to older mobos. I have a couple of PCs
(with 6Gb HDs) that need their HD replacing. I tried a 'small' 40Gb but the
bios did not recognise it. Would fitting a PCI IDE adapter card solve the
problem?

Thanks in advance.. any advice appreciated

Alan

Yes, a PCI card is a good idea.

When you write that they're not recognized, do you mean not the capacity
or not at all, no signs whatsoever that you have a drive attached? If no
sign at all of the drive then double-check your drive jumpers.
Old March 19th 04, 02:27 PM
Bubba

Alan Brown's log on stardate 19 ožu 2004

Old problem.. fitting larger drives to older mobos. I have a couple
of PCs (with 6Gb HDs) that need their HD replacing. I tried a 'small'
40Gb but the bios did not recognise it. Would fitting a PCI IDE
adapter card solve the problem?

Flash BIOS is the first and "cheapest" possibility. Cheapest since oteher
two costs you money or performances. Money: buying aditional PCI ATA
controller. Performances: Modyfing drive with Disk Manager software
utility. It will adapt your hard drive for BIOS, but it will limit
transfer to PIO only.

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 19th 04, 05:02 PM
Alan Brown

Sorry.. missed the important detail:

Not see was mean't to mean - not recognised when in BIOS or Auto-Detect
Hard Disk

Ta

The original 6Gb work fine and will auto detect

Old March 19th 04, 05:30 PM
kony

On 19 Mar 2004 14:27:54 GMT, Bubba wrote:

snip

Modyfing drive with Disk Manager software
utility. It will adapt your hard drive for BIOS, but it will limit
transfer to PIO only.

PIO only? First I've heard of that. Any reason why?
Old March 19th 04, 05:36 PM
*Vanguard*

"Alan Brown" said in :
Sorry.. missed the important detail:

Not see was mean't to mean - not recognised when in BIOS or
Auto-Detect Hard Disk

Do you hear the hard drive spin up when you turn on the power? If the
power cable is connected to the hard drive but it doesn't spin up, could
be a bad hard drive or a bad PSU. If you reconnect the old drive using
the same power cable, does it spin up?

Did you check for loose cables?

Did you check that the colored stripe end of the ribbon cable was on pin
1 of the hard drive and also on pin 1 on the motherboard header for the
IDE port? It really isn't important which way the stripe goes but what
is important is that it is oriented the same way on each end (i.e., you
haven't flipped the cable).

Remove the ribbon cable one end at a time and make sure you didn't bend
any pins.

Old March 19th 04, 08:49 PM
Bubba

kony's log on stardate 19 ožu 2004

Modyfing drive with Disk Manager software utility. It will adapt your
hard drive for BIOS, but it will limit transfer to PIO only.

PIO only? First I've heard of that. Any reason why?

ATA (IDE) interface that replaced RLL and MFM interfaces had a specifical
distinctivnes, as the market name says, Integrated Drive Electronics.

So, basicly, what ATA controller realy is is nothing else than a bridge
form integrated drives electornic and rest of the system. What system does
when it whants to eg. relocate memory locations on drive to memory is
sending CPU's commands trough PIO to drive. Controller has no particular
and relevant function on this matter, except to physically connect drive
with motherboard.

But now we come to a point where we do not whant our CPU do do that stuff
any longer, and we come to an implementation of a logical circuit that
controls drives operation with resto of sistem without CPU's interference.

Now we come to the drive overlay, that will enable us to see drive in
spite of controllers limitation. Naturaly, if we bypass the controller,
where are we going to get DMA? So, PIO jumps in, and controller is again
used just for physical connection.

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 19th 04, 08:50 PM
Bubba

Alan Brown's log on stardate 19 ožu 2004

Old problem.. fitting larger drives to older mobos. I have a couple
of PCs (with 6Gb HDs) that need their HD replacing. I tried a 'small'
40Gb but the bios did not recognise it. Would fitting a PCI IDE
adapter card solve the problem?

Almost forgot. You could try http://www.rom.by/english.html, if you have
Awards BIOS.

--