P4P800 BIOS HD settings

Old July 4th 03, 06:03 PM
John Smith

Default P4P800 BIOS HD settings

Hi,

Is there any advantage in using the HD info from the HD manufacturer -
sectors, etc - in the BIOS set-up or is it no different to using just AUTO?

Thanks,

J.

Old July 5th 03, 11:42 AM
Clanga

"John Smith" wrote in message
Auto works fine. I just wondered if there was any benefit in manually
configuring the drive settings?

The only benefit would be a faster boot up time as the bios dosn't need to
detect settings.
The improvement in boot time is rather little, so i wouldn't bother with it
myself.
I do however manually set the DMA for the drives to ensure it uses Ultra
DMA.

In the 'older days' there was and often you had to otherwise your drive
would not be seen but I wonder what the latest thinking is today?

J.

"jaeger" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Hi,

Is there any advantage in using the HD info from the HD manufacturer -
sectors, etc - in the BIOS set-up or is it no different to using just

AUTO?

Use Auto, if it doesn't work your drive is probably broken.

Old July 5th 03, 12:11 PM
John Smith

As I understand it the P4P800 only uses ATA-100 on the EIDE Channels and
ATA-133 on the RAID Channel? Or do you just set it to the maximum the drive
can support no matter what channel you have it on?

J.

"Clanga" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Auto works fine. I just wondered if there was any benefit in manually
configuring the drive settings?

The only benefit would be a faster boot up time as the bios dosn't need to
detect settings.
The improvement in boot time is rather little, so i wouldn't bother with

it
myself.
I do however manually set the DMA for the drives to ensure it uses Ultra
DMA.

In the 'older days' there was and often you had to otherwise your drive
would not be seen but I wonder what the latest thinking is today?

J.

. ..

Old July 7th 03, 11:34 AM
Clanga

"John Smith" wrote in message
As I understand it the P4P800 only uses ATA-100 on the EIDE Channels and
ATA-133 on the RAID Channel? Or do you just set it to the maximum the

drive
can support no matter what channel you have it on?

J.

You are correct.
The bios should tell you the max that your drive can be set at.
It says that my SATA drive can be set at UDMA-6 (ATA-133), even though the
primary, secondary, third and fourth channels can only be set at a max of
UDMA-5. (ATA-100). I don't think the bios will actually allow you to set DMA
above what your drive is detected at. Take CD-ROM's for example.
I would need to move this drive to the raid channel to use UDMA-6.

"Clanga" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Auto works fine. I just wondered if there was any benefit in manually
configuring the drive settings?

The only benefit would be a faster boot up time as the bios dosn't need

detect settings.
The improvement in boot time is rather little, so i wouldn't bother with

it
myself.
I do however manually set the DMA for the drives to ensure it uses Ultra
DMA.

In the 'older days' there was and often you had to otherwise your

drive
would not be seen but I wonder what the latest thinking is today?

J.

"jaeger" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Hi,

Is there any advantage in using the HD info from the HD

manufacturer -
sectors, etc - in the BIOS set-up or is it no different to using

just
AUTO?

Use Auto, if it doesn't work your drive is probably broken.

Soyo TISU BIOS settings GS Overclocking 0 October 8th 04 02:15 PM
BIOS Settings? BobK General 3 June 1st 04 03:02 PM
Question on BIOS settings MA Homebuilt PC's 0 February 15th 04 07:26 PM
Best bios settings with Corsair Ram ? Donny Darko Overclocking AMD Processors 3 December 16th 03 07:30 PM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM