This whole HalfLife2 thing is ridiculous

Old September 14th 03, 03:36 AM
TheHasselhoff

Default This whole HalfLife2 thing is ridiculous

I am beside myself with how the Nvidia line is suddenly being considered
second-rate compared to the ATI line, simply because of one game.
Now, I realize HL2 will be immensely popular. But, Valve has basically come
out and acted as if their new game is 100% representative of how video games
will be made in the future. That's certainly egotistical, and downright
incorrect. The other 100s of game developers are not going to suddenly say,
"ooh, here's how Valve does things, so we need to copy it."
I guess what really frosts me is that Valve (obviously in bed with ATI)
comes out with their own benchmarks - which are not being validated by any
independent source - and all of the other benchmarks out there, showing the
GeforceFX line beating the ATI line in many other games are thrown out the
window.
Valve can say all they want that Nvidia shouldn't make "game-specific"
drivers - but I'll bet that the last few Catalyst revisions have had updates
for HL2 in them. They'd be dumb not to - but Valve acting like the supreme
entity in all of this is ridiculous.
I think I'm going to pass on HL2, just out of principle.

Old September 14th 03, 04:08 AM
methylenedioxy

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The trouble is, it isn't just one game. Doom 3 is having problems and has
it's own nv35 shading code because of it, Lara croft's last game was having
problems, 3d mark 03 had problems and now Aquamark 3 too. It isn't one game,
it isn't one thing, its numerous and there is a problem that needs
addressing and nvidia can't keep blaming everyone else.
Whilst I would agree with you had it only been valve (who are promoting the
ati cards anyway) saying this it would look suspicious, but it isn't just
valve. Read nvidias press release, they are trying to blame everyone and not
take responsibility. According to nvidia there are no differences in quality
between ps1.4 and ps2, between dx8 and dx9 and also no difference in quality
between 32 bit and 16 bit shading. They need to own up to this bloody mess.

Old September 14th 03, 04:12 AM
methylenedioxy

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=517&dPage=1

Old September 14th 03, 04:14 AM
methylenedioxy

"methylenedioxy" wrote in message
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=517&dPage=1

And these benchmarks are the ones which nvidia were saying were going to
solve all the problems, it's clearly a hardware fault and they should own
up, the beta 50's aren't working either so their response to the valve
claims about using the beta 50 drivers to solve the problems is nonsense,
they must have only optimised for hl2 and not anything else, which is just
trying to cover up the problem.....

Old September 14th 03, 01:02 PM
ho alexandre

methylenedioxy wrote:
the beta 50's aren't working either so their response to the valve
claims about using the beta 50 drivers to solve the problems is nonsense,

Why ? the beta 50 are BETA. Have you never written code ? There are many
other pieces of evidence that tend to proove nVidia has ****ed, why take
a false one ?

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Old September 15th 03, 12:11 AM
TheHasselhoff

I guess I still don't get it - why aren't any of the other game development
companies coming out & saying these things? The whole point of my post was,
that Valve has decided that, because Nvidia cards run poorly on HL2, then
Nvidia cards are poor in general. That is ridiculous - HL2 is NOT going to
become the one-and-only benchmark program out there. Valve has got to knock
that chip off their shoulder - before Doom3 does it for them.

Old September 15th 03, 06:41 AM
Lenny

The whole point of my post was,
that Valve has decided that, because Nvidia cards run poorly on HL2, then
Nvidia cards are poor in general.

Except they haven't said that.

That is ridiculous - HL2 is NOT going to
become the one-and-only benchmark program out there. Valve has got to

knock
that chip off their shoulder - before Doom3 does it for them.

*Cough* Last time round, HL sold just WAYYYYYY more than Quake ever did, and
in 'most anticipated game' polls I see HL leading over Doom3.

Anyway, seems to me it's you with the chip, you're even going as far as
making stuff up about them. Stop that.

Old September 15th 03, 01:29 PM
Ed Medlin

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
om...
I guess I still don't get it - why aren't any of the other game

development
companies coming out & saying these things? The whole point of my post

was,
that Valve has decided that, because Nvidia cards run poorly on HL2, then
Nvidia cards are poor in general. That is ridiculous - HL2 is NOT going

become the one-and-only benchmark program out there. Valve has got to

knock
that chip off their shoulder - before Doom3 does it for them.

Yep. MS is now in the final stages of DX-10 anyway. Probably be released
late this year or early 2004. Also, there is the update to DX-9b coming
soon. A few lines of code could make a world of difference for everything.
What many folks seem to forget is that DX is pure software that can
implement any HW calls it needs to (and support more than just one). With
all the criticisms of MS, one thing they always tend to do is to support as
wide a range of hardware as possible. I doubt seriously that they will leave
out 50% of the high-end video market.

Ed

Old September 15th 03, 06:33 PM
prvt101

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message . com...
I guess I still don't get it - why aren't any of the other game development
companies coming out & saying these things? The whole point of my post was,
that Valve has decided that, because Nvidia cards run poorly on HL2, then
Nvidia cards are poor in general. That is ridiculous - HL2 is NOT going to
become the one-and-only benchmark program out there. Valve has got to knock
that chip off their shoulder - before Doom3 does it for them.

You're wrong. Read this:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7873
Old September 14th 03, 06:09 AM
Minotaur

TheHasselhoff wrote:
[...]

If nVidia kept to DirectX 9 specifications, they wouldn't have any
problems. But no, they had to use there own routines, thus why some
games are being delayed. Poor programmers basically have to write a
wrapper, to get DirectX 9 routines working on nVidias, semi-compatible
DirectX 9 cards.
Have fun waiting for DirectX 10 games, nVidia might just stick to using
official standards by then if we are all lucky.

Personally, I don't care who delivers, but nVidia certainly hasn't.

Anything but 4X FSAA and 8X AF these days is a joke, really who only
cares about FPS? and to top it off, why does nVidia think it knows best
and why has it disabled the option to change video settings in certain
gaming titles? Despicable, dodgy and treats it's customers like retards,
nVidia has turned into a snake oil salesman.