Adding IDE secondary drive to DELL8330 with PRIMARY SATA DRIVE

Old May 14th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Adding IDE secondary drive to DELL8330 with PRIMARY SATA DRIVE

Hi,
It' been a while since I have added a NEW drive to a computer. I'm adding
one to my mom's and I didn't realize her DELL 8300 had a SATA drive. I WANT
to use the
WD IDE drive as a data drive. I'm used to using cable select (jumper
settings) on just the IDE drives.

Questions....

1). I installed the drive and haven't formatted yet. I assumed I had to turn
the drive on in the bios first before the computer would see another drive.
Is that correct?

2) I did read that SATA drives DON"T use jumper settings so I wasn't sure
how to ensure that the SATA drive was the bootable drive as normal. Cable
select didn't work so I tried
to change the setup in the drives as secondary drive slave. When I booted up
I get an error message saying DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND. I then changed the bios to
Primary drive and rebooted and get the
error message DRIVE 1 not found.

3) CAN BOTH DRIVES CO_EXIST like I described? Is the whole problem being
the NEW HD is not formatted yet? If so....how do I configured the bios to
the above settings that I want?

Thanks for your help.

Dean

Old May 16th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

As I understand it, you should leave the SATA drive connected as it
was--when both a SATA and a PATA drive are present the 8300 will default
to the SATA(the SATA will be the boot drive). You need to format the WD
IDE drive, put its jumper in cable select position, attach to end of the
cable(if that doesn't do it attach it to the middle connector of the cable).

Ken