Wireless Connection

Old March 24th 12, 10:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony

Default Wireless Connection

My XPS 15 laptop can only connect to my router when the network is unhidden.
I prefer to keep it hidden for security purposes. Is there a workaround
this please?

Tony

Old March 24th 12, 10:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

Are you referring to the SSID?

Old March 25th 12, 05:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony

"Brian K" wrote in message
ond.com...
Are you referring to the SSID?

Yes. I prefer to keep it hidden.

Old March 26th 12, 07:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.

Old March 26th 12, 11:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Monday, March 26, 2012 1:27:25 AM UTC-5, Brian K wrote:
I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.

I know my wireless only broadcasts around 75' outside the house. (With WPA2 also)
Old March 26th 12, 11:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message
On Monday, March 26, 2012 1:27:25 AM UTC-5, Brian K wrote:
I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one
is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.

I know my wireless only broadcasts around 75' outside the house. (With
WPA2 also)

Thank you both for that reassurance. I'll stop hiding my SSID.

Old March 27th 12, 04:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:27:25 +1100, "Brian K"
wrote:

I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.

In theory NOT true but speaking in a practical sense, I agree.
Unless one is paranoid, he's safe with WPA2 but there is free software
to try to decrypt it. The problem is it takes a lot of cpu or time to
do so and no one is going to bother unless they think it's worth the
effort and have the money to buy multiple pc's to work on the
decryption.
Old March 27th 12, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

wrote:

I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security.
No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a
few
years.

In theory NOT true but speaking in a practical sense, I agree.
Unless one is paranoid, he's safe with WPA2 but there is free software
to try to decrypt it. The problem is it takes a lot of cpu or time to
do so and no one is going to bother unless they think it's worth the
effort and have the money to buy multiple pc's to work on the
decryption.

I don't know if you have heard this before, but there was a hackers
convention years ago in Las Vegas (or was it in Phoenix?), that hackers
logged in on a stock WiFi for a new record of being 52 miles (50
something anyway) away. Later I heard newer records being hundreds of
miles away. Now where are these guys when I setup my WiFi? As I have a
hard time pulling in mine just 600 feet away. lol

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009

Old March 27th 12, 07:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:58:36 -0500, "BillW50" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

No Bill, hadn't heard of that but I have seen and heard of antennas
that supposedly can pull in the signal from a couple of miles. 52
miles does sound incredible .... hope they wire up Houston so everyone
can get free wifi all around the city instead of the bozo's that were
hired and never delivered.
Old March 27th 12, 09:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

See this page regarding password strength....

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm