Motherboard crashes after bios update

Old May 10th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Motherboard crashes after bios update

"S. Robert Davidoff" wrote in message
. ..
You got it....

Glad you bagged it!

Old May 18th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

TVeblen wrote:
"S. Robert Davidoff" wrote in message
. ..
You got it....

Glad you bagged it!

I would certainly be interested in some more info on this. I have the
same problem installing from an SP1 disk. I have tried installing from
an SP2 disk, which works fine but I cannot activate it with my key !!!
Which obviously poses more problems.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old May 18th 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...

TVeblen wrote:
"S. Robert Davidoff" wrote in message
. ..
You got it....

Glad you bagged it!

I would certainly be interested in some more info on this. I have the
same problem installing from an SP1 disk. I have tried installing from
an SP2 disk, which works fine but I cannot activate it with my key !!!
Which obviously poses more problems.

in regards to serials:

going from XP home sp1 to Xp pro Sp2 won't work

going from XP SP1 home OEM to XP home RETAIL sp2 won't work

AFA your problem being exactly the same:
Your trying to boot after an install and on the first start up you can't
boot to windows?
No USB devices in while installing XP.
Use F8 at the first boot and use safe mode to find the offending hardware.
Disable OB (integrated) sound until after the first boot.

HTH

Old May 19th 06, 12:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Im not trying to boot after a clean install, im trying to do a clean
install! If I boot from the windows CD, it loads all the drivers but
at the point of starting the installation process it blue screens with
the error mentioned above. I can install it fine with a SP2 CD but my
activation key (which came with an SP1 disk) wont work with that
install for some reason.

Old May 19th 06, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
s.com...
Im not trying to boot after a clean install, im trying to do a clean
install! If I boot from the windows CD, it loads all the drivers but
at the point of starting the installation process it blue screens with
the error mentioned above. I can install it fine with a SP2 CD but my
activation key (which came with an SP1 disk) wont work with that
install for some reason.

In that case, you can activate SP2 over the phone, by calling
icrosoft. -Dave

Old May 19th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
s.com...
Im not trying to boot after a clean install, im trying to do a clean
install! If I boot from the windows CD, it loads all the drivers but
at the point of starting the installation process it blue screens with
the error mentioned above. I can install it fine with a SP2 CD but my
activation key (which came with an SP1 disk) wont work with that
install for some reason.

There is an issue with motherboards built for Intel's "Extreme" series of
processors (and later) and XP-SP1, as well as the installation of SP2 over a
current XP-SP1 installation. The issue deals with having the correct,
updated motherboard drivers and/or correct BIOS versions in place before you
attempt to install. These drivers can be loaded from a floppy disk w/o an
operating system installed. Same with flashing a BIOS, but with more risk of
problems. Alternatively, I've been told that you can go into the BIOS and
disable the more modern devices on the motherboard so you can complete the
install, then reactivate them and deal with the drivers and OS changes
afterwards. Haven't tried that one my self, so I can't help you with a
step-by-step.
Try Google for "Pentium Extreme Edition" + "Windows XP installation" and see
what you get.
Also, write down the exact error message you get when you try to install and
google that in "Groups". Wouldn't hurt to post it here in your posts too.