Seagate buys Maxtor

Old December 22nd 05, 01:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate buys Maxtor

tony wrote:

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Knock on wood I guess and keep fingers crossed.

Tony,

You are

1. A troll, or
2. You have Seagate and Maxtor the wrong way around in your message, or
3. You are in a coma.

Maxtor (after Excelstor) are currently the worst drives on the planet.

Seagate taking over Maxtor will adversely affect my business - but it
will keep a lot of others *IN* business.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old December 22nd 05, 03:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

ROFL I don't think i have ever heard Tony being called a troll, LOL!

And I thought heat killed harddrives, and bad PSU's silly me!

But what do I know, I have a Maxtor, Samsung, Seagate, I have one case
that is know as a drive killer, it has now started on my 5+ year old
dvd-rom. I have gone through two Maxtor, on was about 5 years old, the
other died due to my killer heat case. So I chop it up to bad admin,
but my freebsd box with my Seagate is going strong. Boy those Samsung
drives are quite, I even got the el cheapo 2 mb version. I am waiting
for my case to kill it.

But dang I missed out on those 29 buck Maxtor's, even if it was in
rebates.

Gnu_Raiz

Old December 22nd 05, 03:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message ...
tony wrote:

[...]

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate. Can with
Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail more often, I'd rather replace
twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my PC.

Tony

Old December 22nd 05, 04:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

tony wrote
Odie Ferrous wrote
tony wrote
YKhan wrote

Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to aquire rival
vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates. will
run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Knock on wood I guess and keep fingers crossed.

You are

1. A troll, or
2. You have Seagate and Maxtor the wrong way around in your message, or 3.
You are in a coma.

Or just 'brain' dead |-)

Maxtor (after Excelstor) are currently the worst drives on the planet.

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate.
Can with Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail more often, I'd rather
replace twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my
PC.

Makes more sense to get Samsungs instead, get the quiet, and a decent life too.

Old December 22nd 05, 05:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Odie Ferrous wrote:
tony wrote:

[...]

In my experience Maxtors are reliable _only_ if they are cooled really
well. They draw too much power for disks in normal systems. I had one
200GB drive heat itself up to the point where it stopped working an
external Aluminium enclosure and with light disk load. A Seagate and
a Samsung disk in the same enclosure are reliable and not too warm
even with heavy load. This means that in most settings Maxtors will be
unreliable and die early, since in many PC systems cooling and airflow
in the case is not too good.

Seagate taking over Maxtor will adversely affect my business - but it
will keep a lot of others *IN* business.

I agree. IMO they should just get rid of the Maxtors designs and
retool everything to the Seagate models.

Arno
Old December 22nd 05, 05:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

tony wrote:

[...]

If quiet is the issue, go Samsung. They are the quietest drives
on the market. BTW, I have yet to get a quiet Maxtor, but I
stopped buying them about 2 years ago. Have they changed?

Arno

Old December 22nd 05, 06:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message ...

I agree. IMO they should just get rid of the Maxtors designs and
retool everything to the Seagate models.

God forbid! That would be like imposing water torture on
PC users again after Maxtor had saved them from it (I'm talking
about the annoying noise Seagates make (7200.7s)).

Tony

Old December 22nd 05, 06:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message ...

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a
Seagate. Can with Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail
more often, I'd rather replace twice as often than listen to a
Seagate popcorn machine inside of my PC.

If quiet is the issue, go Samsung. They are the quietest drives
on the market. BTW, I have yet to get a quiet Maxtor, but I
stopped buying them about 2 years ago. Have they changed?

Well now is becoming the time to investigate other brands perhaps
since Maxtor is being sucked up by Seagate. Does Samsung have
the features and technology though that Seagate and Maxtor do
(SATA, 7200 RPM, NCQ, high density, hot-swap etc)? I'm looking for
silent though and not just "quietly annoying" like the Seagates are.
Maxtor met my extreme criteria for "silent" whereas Seagate did not.

Tony

Old December 22nd 05, 06:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

tony wrote
Arno Wagner wrote

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate. Can
with Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail more often, I'd rather
replace twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my
PC.

If quiet is the issue, go Samsung. They are the quietest drives
on the market. BTW, I have yet to get a quiet Maxtor, but I
stopped buying them about 2 years ago. Have they changed?

Well now is becoming the time to investigate other brands perhaps
since Maxtor is being sucked up by Seagate. Does Samsung have
the features and technology though that Seagate and Maxtor do
(SATA, 7200 RPM, NCQ, high density, hot-swap etc)?

Yep
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es/SP2504C.asp

I'm looking for silent though

The samsungs are that in spades.

and not just "quietly annoying" like the Seagates are. Maxtor met my extreme
criteria for "silent" whereas Seagate did not.

The samsungs are a lot quieter than Maxtors.

Old December 22nd 05, 08:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person tony said

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

I agree. IMO they should just get rid of the Maxtors designs and
retool everything to the Seagate models.

God forbid! That would be like imposing water torture on
PC users again after Maxtor had saved them from it (I'm talking
about the annoying noise Seagates make (7200.7s)).

Dunno what you are doing to your 7200.7s but mine are way quieter than
Hitachi, Quantum (OK, those are old), or ATA IVs. I don't know if Maxtor
would be even quieter, since I wouldn't install them on a bet at the
moment (although their warranty swap-out system is rated highly -
apparently it gets a lot of practise)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Seagate buys Maxtor VWWall General 5 December 21st 05 11:50 PM
Maxtor hdd crash (track 0 corruption ?) fjh Storage (alternative) 27 October 15th 05 12:10 AM
SCSI HD: Maxtor or Seagate? Ar Q Storage (alternative) 15 June 24th 05 02:58 AM
Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate @drian Homebuilt PC's 26 October 20th 03 06:24 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate - guess who spams? tiburón Homebuilt PC's 7 September 29th 03 11:19 PM