Help with options for data back-up Raid SCSI?? Just some ideas

Old July 4th 05, 06:36 PM
Eric Gisin

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message

"Sunny" wrote in message

What model drives and controller?

MAP3367NP & 3400s

MAP3367 is 38GB and the 74GB model MAP3735 costs about $300 while the 74GB
Raptor costs $190.

A new FUJITSU MAP 36GB 10K just sold for $46, much less than Raptor's $120.
Ebay item 5212534574. Previous generation SCSI is cheap.

An Adaptec 3400S costs about $400. An Intel chipset mobo with an ICH5R or
ICH6R has builtin RAID 0/1 for the SATA Raptors.

Used Ultra160 RAID is OK for 2-3 drives, and costs very little.

Such a SCSI RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration on a single user workstation
offers little over the much less expensive SATA RAID solution.

Good SATA HW RAID 5 is available via a 3Ware(9500) card for about $300.

Intel's SW RAID 5 for the ICH7 performs very well. Tom's Hardware just reviewed it.

Old July 4th 05, 07:48 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message

"Sunny" wrote in message

What model drives and controller?

MAP3367NP & 3400s

MAP3367 is 38GB and the 74GB model MAP3735 costs about $300 while the
74GB
Raptor costs $190.

A new FUJITSU MAP 36GB 10K just sold for $46, much less than Raptor's
$120.

Ebay frauds don't count. Prices at reputable web outlets like Page or
NewEgg do. Get a clue. The Raptor is 74GB and about $190.

Ebay item 5212534574. Previous generation SCSI is cheap.

An Adaptec 3400S costs about $400. An Intel chipset mobo with an ICH5R
or
ICH6R has builtin RAID 0/1 for the SATA Raptors.

Used Ultra160 RAID is OK for 2-3 drives, and costs very little.

Stolen is cheaper yet....have you done that? Now, let's guess what kind of
reliability you get from your HW?

Such a SCSI RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration on a single user workstation
offers little over the much less expensive SATA RAID solution.

Good SATA HW RAID 5 is available via a 3Ware(9500) card for about $300.

Intel's SW RAID 5 for the ICH7 performs very well. Tom's Hardware just
reviewed it.

Reviewed without full insight that is. SW/firmware RAID 5 can work ok. But
that review at Tom's fails to show CPU usage and also ignores the rebuild
load of replacing a failed drive in a RAID 5 set. Full non-host CPU/bus
support is required for full/robust RAID 5 support. For modest
configuration file servers(not app servers) that don't require high
uptime/availability but just no lost data then such [S]ATA RAID 5 solutions
are VERY cost effective as I've been saying for years.

Old July 5th 05, 01:43 AM
Sunny

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message
m...

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Fishhead" wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Regardless of the performance and price garbage...

I picked up a SCSI RAID card and 4 10k 36 gig harddrives..

Too bad. You should have got 4 inexpensive late model high performance
[S]ATA HDs and an inexpensive late model [S]ATA RAID card and then you

would

get much more storage that is just as fast and likely faster and spend

less

dollars.

You don't know what he paid, so how can you comment on price/performance?

What he paid isn't relevant. The current market price is the relevant
factor.

He may have picked up 4 used late model 10K 36G SCSI drives for the same
price as a single new Raptor,

Not unless he stole them.

and gotten the RAID card thrown in - just
as I did recently.

What model drives and controller?

MAP3367NP & 3400s

MAP3367 is 38GB and the 74GB model MAP3735 costs about $300 while the 74GB
Raptor costs $190.

An Adaptec 3400S costs about $400. An Intel chipset mobo with an ICH5R or
ICH6R has builtin RAID 0/1 for the SATA Raptors.

Such a SCSI RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration on a single user workstation
offers little over the much less expensive SATA RAID solution.

My cost was $CAD200 for a 3 x 36GB RAID 5 array and a spare drive. I
installed it in my dual P3 workstation, which remains more than adequate
for my needs - I just needed more storage, redundancy is a bonus. I paid
market price for the drives from a reputable reseller, and obtained a
receipt. The RAID controller was thrown in free because it was
non-functional - someone had dropped it and knocked off several passive
surface mount components, repair took me about an hour.

I considered all options, but used SCSI in general and the offer I
accepted in particular was by far the most cost effective solution.
Old July 5th 05, 01:05 PM
Fishhead

I paid $300 for mine.
4 drives and a RAID card.

Old July 5th 05, 02:13 PM
Folkert Rienstra

And another one that uses that POS Mozilla crap.
Cut the quotation ****e that it produces before you send, will ya!
Or learn how to use that POS software.

"Sunny" wrote in message
Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message
.. .

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Fishhead" wrote in message
[...]

[snip]
Old July 5th 05, 02:56 PM
Jeremy Boden

In message .net,
Folkert Rienstra writes
And another one that uses that POS Mozilla crap.
Cut the quotation ****e that it produces before you send, will ya!
Or learn how to use that POS software.

"Sunny" wrote in message
Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Sunny" wrote in message
.. .

Ron Reaugh wrote:

"Fishhead" wrote in message
[...]

No top posting please.
What does POS mean?
BTW this wasn't posted with mozilla.

--
Jeremy Boden
Old July 5th 05, 05:39 PM
Rob Turk

"Jeremy Boden" wrote in message

No top posting please.
What does POS mean?
BTW this wasn't posted with mozilla.

Very often it means Point Of Sale, probably not in this context ;-)

Rob