first thoughts of windows 8 ?

Old October 26th 12, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

Default first thoughts of windows 8 ?

I like Win8 and the Metro interface. It's faster than Win7 on my computer.

Old October 27th 12, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 06:41:12 +1100, "Brian K"
wrote:

I like Win8 and the Metro interface. It's faster than Win7 on my computer.

Did you have to reinstall your programs?
Old October 27th 12, 11:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

Did you have to reinstall your programs?

I did clean installs with the beta Win8s. I'll buy Win8 next month when I
build a new computer. It will be a clean install and I'll have to install
apps from scratch. I never do upgrade installs.

Old October 29th 12, 12:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Chiefly a 2005 version of Cygwin.

Old October 30th 12, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Ron,

I'm still on WinXP too. I'm going to build a new computer next month and
that's my main reason for changing the OS. Win8 is faster than WinXP, but I
wouldn't change unless I had a new computer and had to install all apps from
scratch.

Old November 1st 12, 05:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

I just got a new Dell PC and it has Windows 7. Ugh, I hate it. I much
much MUCH prefer Windows XP! And what's the deal
with no outlook express? Windows 7 sucks so far. But I've only been using
it for 3 days.

Old November 1st 12, 10:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Chiefly a 2005 version of Cygwin.

Ron,

Out of interest, in Win7 does Cygwin run in WinXP Compatibility mode? Or in
the WinXP virtual machine run by Win7?

Old November 2nd 12, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Von Fourche" wrote:
I just got a new Dell PC and it has Windows 7. Ugh, I hate it. I much
much MUCH prefer Windows XP! And what's the deal
with no outlook express? Windows 7 sucks so far. But I've only been using
it for 3 days.

Outlook Express has been replaced (approximately) with Windows Live Mail.
You can download it he
http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Liv...7_4-98282.html
I have an early version which came installed on my Windows 7 Dell desktop
in the Fall of 2010. I've heard that later versions are less like Outlook Express,
unfortunately. If you don't like the latest Windows Live Mail, I've heard Mozilla's
Thunderbird is good enough to it give a try.

*TimDaniels*
Old November 2nd 12, 01:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Brian K wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
..
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Chiefly a 2005 version of Cygwin.

Ron,

Out of interest, in Win7 does Cygwin run in WinXP Compatibility mode? Or in
the WinXP virtual machine run by Win7?

I haven't gotten my Sigwin to run on win7 but didn't experiment much, just
went to XP. The rearrangement of files under win7 is enough to kill my apps
anyway. Who wants to rewrite a thousand shell scripts when it works fine.

Old November 2nd 12, 01:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:
I haven't gotten my Sigwin to run on win7 but didn't experiment much, just

interesting typo for Cygwin. The fingers do the thinking, somehow.

OT/Thoughts On This... [email protected] Dell Computers 29 April 22nd 09 03:49 AM
56.72 Thoughts Ryan Nvidia Videocards 0 April 5th 04 03:01 PM
would like some thoughts on what to do dk UK Computer Vendors 2 September 30th 03 07:41 PM