ATI AIW9800 TV Sound Initialization

Old June 15th 05, 02:57 PM
Brad

Default ATI AIW9800 TV Sound Initialization

Hi,

I just installed MMC 9.08 on a freshly-installed Windows XP system.
When I ran the TV setup, the TV Sound initialization did not appear. I
am not running in TV-On-Demand mode. I have NOT hooked up the line out
from the AIW card to the sound card, and yet, I still hear audio when
watching TV.

Can somebody explain why I don't see the TV Sound Initialization
wizard, and why I can hear sound even though I haven't hooked up the
sound card??

Any help is appreciated....

Brad

Old June 15th 05, 04:35 PM
Pagan

"Brad" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I just installed MMC 9.08 on a freshly-installed Windows XP system.
When I ran the TV setup, the TV Sound initialization did not appear. I
am not running in TV-On-Demand mode. I have NOT hooked up the line out
from the AIW card to the sound card, and yet, I still hear audio when
watching TV.

Can somebody explain why I don't see the TV Sound Initialization
wizard, and why I can hear sound even though I haven't hooked up the
sound card??

Any help is appreciated....

I believe that card processes the TV signal and sends the audio directly to
your sound card. I'd bet you still need to hook up your external
connections to the sound card if/when you want to capture audio from an
external source.

As for the TV wizard, it's anybody's guess, but if things are working
without it, so much the better. You don't really need it for the
Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards anyway, but if memory serves, you can still find
it under TV Setup.

Pagan

Old June 15th 05, 06:06 PM
Brad

I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.

Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2 ZS
Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound Wizard
doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI support site.

Old June 15th 05, 07:03 PM

I am also using an Audigy 2, and didn't notice the sound dialog didn't
appear until you mentioned it. However, my sound still works, I just
used the black multi-connector, the one that plugs into the "out" on
the graphics card, and put the audio jack into the "line-in" on my
soundcard. It may sound daft, but just check you've plugged the audio
lead into the right hole.

Steve

Old June 15th 05, 07:18 PM
T Shadow

"Brad" wrote in message
ups.com...
I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.

Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2 ZS
Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound Wizard
doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI support site.

Around Cat 5.4(WDM drivers) and MMC9.06 the sound was changed to digital
through the bus. No more analog sound(makes it compatible with MCE). Their
is no sound setup wizard, its all wave now. Seems to have eliminated capture
sound sync issues for me but I haven't tested it very much.

Old June 15th 05, 07:36 PM
Brad

TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?

Old June 15th 05, 09:18 PM
T Shadow

"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?

Actually I figured it out. Sound my HDTV Wonder works the same way.
Confirmation was made here, Rage3d.com or AVSforum.com(MCE compatibility)
message boards. Current notes don't seem to mention it. Here's the info on
ATI website but it looks like you just about have to know about it to find
it.
ID=10208

Old June 15th 05, 11:55 PM
Brad

Sorry, where's the info on the ATI site?

Old June 16th 05, 01:41 AM
T Shadow

"Brad" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, where's the info on the ATI site?

Ok, try it this way:
Customer Care
left hand column click on Solve Problem
Audio
ATI Multimedia Center
Should be the third subject on the first page.

In the past searching for the ID number would take you to the page.

Old June 16th 05, 08:21 AM
Pagan

"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?

I'm a big fan of ATI, but their support site is a fine example of pure
suckage.

Kudos to T Shadow for the info.

Pagan